Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Atlantic Way

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are hoping to spend up to 4 weeks this summer doing Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way, having done the Donegal and Sligo leg of this over the course of 6 days in 2019.

I would really appreciate any campsite and activity recommendations along the route.

We are hoping to spend up to 4 weeks this summer doing Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way, having done the Donegal and Sligo leg of this over the course of 6 days in 2019.

I would really appreciate any campsite and activity recommendations along the route.
Wild Atlantic way is stunning, I done it back April 2019.
I can’t help on campsite as didn’t really stay on that many.
Most were shut due to being out of season.
The top section there wasn’t many campsites if I recall.
Definitely walk the cliff tops around loophead light house, you may get lucky and spot dolphins like I did.
If not then there’s boat trips from the Shannon estuary.

If you search on here I did post loads of pics.
You will have a great time finding all the posts, and there is a book you can get stamped at set places.

It’s also worth popping inland from time to time Mount Errigal is a stunning hike and so was mangerton.
The place is like the NC500 but on steroids and a lot quieter.
The ring of Kerry maybe busy.

Which way are you going? I went north to south.263B7BE7-3697-4660-B915-A0818E02D325.jpeg25241582-6094-45D6-9AD3-D31F02B03DFE.jpeg2EEC74C9-4B08-49E5-B8D8-20DFBB253081.jpeg20493B8F-FC53-442A-A6A2-C85568E85D29.jpeg

We did this route on our bicycles: stunning trip. Be sure to drive clockwise as you will have the sea directly beside you instead of loads of touringcars: the view is much better .... Never had any problems finding a sleeping place.

I’m also considering this with my two boys (7 & 8) over three weeks, and combining it with the Five Peaks Challenge: Snowdon, Carrauntoolhil, Slieve Donard, Ben Nevis and Scarfel Pike.

I’m also considering this with my two boys (7 & 8) over three weeks, and combining it with the Five Peaks Challenge: Snowdon, Carrauntoolhil, Slieve Donard, Ben Nevis and Scarfel Pike.
Carrauntoolhil isn’t dog friendly (no dogs even on lead), access is over 5 different farmers land and they won’t let you up.
They did say I could stay on the campsite and leave dog in van.
I didn’t stay or go up which was a shame, but don’t do hikes without Zebedee!
That was 2019 so things may have changed

One very memorable campsite.

Some 6 or 7 years ago we toured around the Irish coast from Belfast (anti clockwise) to Galway City (to see Glasgow Warriors play Connacht - rugby!). It represents about 1/3 of what is now badged as the Wild Atlantic Way. We had about a half dozen overnight stops (usually for two nights) en route.

Just before getting to Galway City we stopped at the Clifden Eco-Beach Camping
Totally fabulous. Most intriguing place we've found in Europe. About 2 or 3 miles from Clifden.
I would ABSOLUTELY recommend pulling in there.
We parked in the dunes about 20 yards away from the other facilities and adjacent to ehu.

We had our Bromptons with us and cycled a few miles to a lonely pub overlooking the Atlantic that did brilliant fresh crab sandwiches (oh and Guinness) which we consumed in a shaded veranda because the inside was being refurbished . The temp in the shade was 31oC !!!!! We got sun burned cycling.

Glasgow Warriors lost but we spent what is described as a 'Gourmet Weekend' in the Park Hotel in Galway which has an excellent fish restautant.

I hope the badging of the roads round the Irish west coast as the West Atlantic Way doesn't destroy it like the equivalent badged route round Scotlend's north coast has been destroyed.

Carrauntoolhil isn’t dog friendly (no dogs even on lead), access is over 5 different farmers land and they won’t let you up.
They did say I could stay on the campsite and leave dog in van.
I didn’t stay or go up which was a shame, but don’t do hikes without Zebedee!
That was 2019 so things may have changed

I climbed Carrauntoohil in 2005 doing the horseshoe from the Hydro Road car park (avoiding the Devil’s Ladder). I can’t recall any particular dog restrictions.

I climbed Carrauntoohil in 2005 doing the horseshoe from the Hydro Road car park (avoiding the Devil’s Ladder). I can’t recall any particular dog restrictions.
Signs up everywhere saying no dogs and I asked at camping/farm can’t remember name and the lady said no as you need permission from all the land owners as it’s privately owned mountain. About 4/5 different farm owners and they had enough of dog attacks and poo I guess.
Just checked with quick Google and says the same no dogs. 0EFD223C-C607-481D-BD89-012A9757F473.png

If you have 3wks I would just do the wild Atlantic way and do the other biggest peaks another time.
Loads of stunning mountains just off waw. Mount Errigal is stunning and mangerton I done loads forgotten the names.
3wks will give you a good time to enjoy and not have to squeeze all the mainland mountains snowdon/Nevis/scafell.

If you have 3wks I would just do the wild Atlantic way and do the other biggest peaks another time.
Loads of stunning mountains just off waw. Mount Errigal is stunning and mangerton I done loads forgotten the names.
3wks will give you a good time to enjoy and not have to squeeze all the mainland mountains snowdon/Nevis/scafell.

It’s a real pig if dogs aren’t allowed on Carrauntoohil. I wonder what the consequences might be for ignoring the rule if your dog is kept under proper control. I’m sure farmers are permitted to shoot dogs which are out of control, but simply walking up a hill with a dog at your heels is hardly likely to have a consequence worse than that for speeding or driving with a faulty brake light.

It’s a real pig if dogs aren’t allowed on Carrauntoohil. I wonder what the consequences might be for ignoring the rule if your dog is kept under proper control. I’m sure farmers are permitted to shoot dogs which are out of control, but simply walking up a hill with a dog at your heels is hardly likely to have a consequence worse than that for speeding or driving with a faulty brake light.
The lady who runs the campsite was very friendly and happy for me to stay and leave Zeb in van if I wanted to hike it. Think the camping area is no dogs too (I was there out of season so don’t think they mind) she did say if it was just her land then I could of gone up.
The parking areas are privately owned like the mountain, I just decided to respect there wishes and not feel the wrath of a farmer and a forklift (on the news recently even went to court and the farmer won, didn’t fancy finding my van on its side or a shot dog).
I walk/hike for enjoyment, yes it would of been nice to tick another highest peak off but it wasn’t to be.
Ireland don’t have the same right to roam laws as we do (as far as I’m aware),and I guess they can close of the mountain completely if they want to.
I didn’t look that much into it as it was right at the end of trip.
I ended up heading to wicklow forest and exploring that (which was great)

That mountain was the only place I found that wasn’t dog friendly and done all the sights in Northern Ireland (game of thrones mad there!), and lots of mountains inland.
Great place to travel and explore.

Best sign I ever saw was one saying my sheep don’t know your dog is friendly, please keep your dog on a lead.
It’s true too, sheep can’t tell and they have such a short life as it is.

My dogs are very well behaved but I certainly wouldn’t risk taking them anywhere, particularly in Ireland if it said no dogs allowed. I wouldn’t want to risk them being shot, even if I didn’t agree with it I would respect the notice, then as we have previously done turn around and go elsewhere.

Back