Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild camping facilities.

Calibus

Calibus

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Wild, lay-by or whatever you want to call it camping in your Cali’, what do you do about the nessesities?

My plan was to grab a toilet tent and toilet and set it up behind the Cali’, my only worry is waking up at 3am in need of using the new facilities and finding a truck driver in there doing the deed (were both truck drivers and found this amusing, sorry).

Seriously though, what are your thoughts please?

Reason for asking: we’ve just been stitched up by a campsite informing us we’re going to be to late to check in, this isn’t the first time and the only reason we’re using a site is for the facilities, other than a toilet we’re self sufficient.

My resources are:

A shovel

A bog in the bag.

I do not use toilet tents wild camping for not only the reason you describe, others using them, or stealing them, but when wild camping, or permissive camping, I prefer to be totally self-contained so I can move on in a hurry if needing to. This equally applies to other external devices such as screen covers. It would be about the only occasion when I use the internal ones.

Others use porta-potties but I found those inconvenient for more than one or two nights as they have to be emptied somewhere as opposed to being able to dispose of a bag wherever there are waste disposal facilities. No nasty chemicals to worry about.

Wild, lay-by or whatever you want to call it camping in your Cali’, what do you do about the nessesities?

My plan was to grab a toilet tent and toilet and set it up behind the Cali’, my only worry is waking up at 3am in need of using the new facilities and finding a truck driver in there doing the deed (were both truck drivers and found this amusing, sorry).

Reason for asking: we’ve just been stitched up by a campsite informing us we’re going to be to late to check in, this isn’t the first time and the only reason we’re using a site is for the facilities, other than a toilet we’re self sufficient.
Bog in a Bag

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005SZZAUC/?tag=eliteelect-21

I dropped my phone in the pee bucket this week.:headbang

you have been warned

Last edited:
Ahem... Nature or go for a coffee in a nearby bar. Have found sparkling clean public restrooms in Calvi last week. We need more of those :)

We have a £75 popaloo that has been to 33 countries and has never been Christened.

We have a £7.50 portable urinal which is in frequent use.

51nwdYDK5ML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Has anyone thought about keeping a couple of large freezer bags in their van for #2 emergencies? There would have to be absolutely no other choice other than messy pants for me to contemplate pooing in the van.

Just extra large freezer bags is what I use wild camping. It’s an acquired technique but totally reliable once mastered. Can be used in van even with the bed down if needs must.

Just extra large freezer bags is what I use wild camping. It’s an acquired technique but totally reliable once mastered. Can be used in van even with the bed down if needs must.
With a loving partner inches away and two little boys upstairs who like nothing more than bragging about their parent's camping antics at "show and tell" time?

Sorry guys, reading these comments and we can’t do anything but laugh.

Her: “if you think I’m going to lay there while you squeeze one out at the end of the bed because someone on the internet said so, you can **** right off”.

We’re not exactly prim and proper people given our choice of employment, and having been out in the Cali on my own for some time I have used the bushes etc, nothing wrong with it in my eyes, but you see, we’ve never, and I mean never seen one another on the loo in the 12 years we’ve been together, one time when we were younger she was in the bath, I was desperate so I got in the car and drove to Tesco to do the deed. So to think of us doing this seems a bit weird to say the least, I’m sure we’ll work it out, but this is also my selling point of a Grand Cali in a couple of years.

Thank you all for the comments and it has given us some insight.

Sorry guys, reading these comments and we can’t do anything but laugh.

Her: “if you think I’m going to lay there while you squeeze one out at the end of the bed because someone on the internet said so, you can **** right off”.

We’re not exactly prim and proper people given our choice of employment, and having been out in the Cali on my own for some time I have used the bushes etc, nothing wrong with it in my eyes, but you see, we’ve never, and I mean never seen one another on the loo in the 12 years we’ve been together, one time when we were younger she was in the bath, I was desperate so I got in the car and drove to Tesco to do the deed. So to think of us doing this seems a bit weird to say the least, I’m sure we’ll work it out, but this is also my selling point of a Grand Cali in a couple of years.

Thank you all for the comments and it has given us some insight.
Have you seen the doors on the average camper washroom, they are not soundproofed or hermetically sealed, best of luck maintaining the romance.

In Spain we usually managed to combine with a cup of coffee. However since most of our camping was in the bush, on the odd occasion a trowel to dig a hole and a bag to take the paper away worked fine. For a 3 am leak we found the 2 Lit Lakeland measuring jug worked a treat!

In Spain we usually managed to combine with a cup of coffee. However since most of our camping was in the bush, on the odd occasion a trowel to dig a hole and a bag to take the paper away worked fine. For a 3 am leak we found the 2 Lit Lakeland measuring jug worked a treat!
Digging a hole, doing your business, then burning the paper in the hole and burring the ash with your poo is fine. Your interred turd should be sufficiently well buried so as not to attract animals to de-inter your turd.

In case there was some confusion yes we did bury the business

Not a problem in my jokerAFDCDF28-4057-48F8-BBF3-9A49E1305F51.jpeg

We have a £75 popaloo that has been to 33 countries and has never been Christened.

We have a £7.50 portable urinal which is in frequent use.

51nwdYDK5ML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Has anyone thought about keeping a couple of large freezer bags in their van for #2 emergencies? There would have to be absolutely no other choice other than messy pants for me to contemplate pooing in the van.
I’ve got a portapotti cube which fits under the sink. Used once in 2 years by my lady friend! Usually on my own so a trowel or café/bar.

Bivvy Loo. Best item in the van. Used for number 1's first thing in the morning. Packs away nice and small.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0797YCX15/?tag=eliteelect-21
I agree. Had a bog in a bag since I bought the van. Without going into too much detail I find it's often impossible to do a number 2 without a simultaneous number 1. The b in b has quite a small opening, which I think makes this difficult for a man. I've now bought a bivvy loo which i think will get around this problem. (There is a much more detailed explanation from an online review from someone for the bivvyloo if you want to know more).Like the b in b it fits into the overhead locker above the rear door. The only disadvantage I can see so far is that because the b in b has 3 legs it's easy to set up anywhere, whereas the bivvyloo has a flat bottom surface. It's also quite a bit lower.

Back