Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Corona virus project 3 en-suite toilet

Silver5urfer

Silver5urfer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Her ladyship wants a toilet in the van to reduce the risk associated with using shared facilities, we’ve had the portapotty for years but never used it. One of my impulse buys when we first bought a california, I think we all buy loads of camping stuff and end up leaving it in the garage because it clutters up the van. Had some plywood and T trim left over from my previous projects so made a base to secure it to the rails. 2A247847-984F-4C05-AE26-B232C3EE6D8E.jpegABCF601B-42B5-40B8-A5EE-2B1339C9D33D.jpeg93C03D23-36C0-436F-A75F-BE5EFF610422.jpegA2B0E03D-CBD0-4891-B6C0-93675B270805.jpeg

00856494-8974-4582-8222-E6F4F9B5C4F4.jpeg

44430ADD-B960-4345-81F4-3A6D49115276.jpeg

6BACC9BE-FB31-484D-A407-8838F10534B3.jpeg

Sorry Silver5urfer....
Lots already said about this on other threads. Everyone to their own but....I just don’t understand it at all.

As well as it making my skin crawl, I’d be much more worried about cr4pping in my van than I would about the extremely small likelihood of Covid in a toilet block.

You’ve done a tidy job but you’re still talking about pooing in your van....out of choice!.......yuk!

Sorry Silver5urfer....
Lots already said about this on other threads. Everyone to their own but....I just don’t understand it at all.

As well as it making my skin crawl, I’d be much more worried about cr4pping in my van than I would about the extremely small likelihood of Covid in a toilet block.

You’ve done a tidy job but you’re still talking about pooing in your van....out of choice!.......yuk!
I absolutely agree with you, that’s why it hadn’t been used the last 10 years, but try and convince my wife who is a reluctant campervaner and wants me to change it for a motorhome

Same here, not a big fan of the portapotti, but it has proven usefull in these strange times. Went camping 11 weekends since covid-19, which wouldn't have been possible without portapotti.

Anyhow, I really like your design. It looks just like one of the commercial ones. Really crafty! The two white parts that are bolted on to the board and I guess hold the portapotti on the board, did you make them? Are they sold anywhere? Did you 3D-print them? Cause I might want to make one myself and yours looks nice.

Same here, not a big fan of the portapotti, but it has proven usefull in these strange times. Went camping 11 weekends since covid-19, which wouldn't have been possible without portapotti.

Anyhow, I really like your design. It looks just like one of the commercial ones. Really crafty! The two white parts that are bolted on to the board and I guess hold the portapotti on the board, did you make them? Are they sold anywhere? Did you 3D-print them? Cause I might want to make one myself and yours looks nice.
No I didn’t make the brackets, they are an optional extra. I think it was called a “hold down kit” or “floor mount kit”, rather expensive at £20 with p&p for a couple of bits of plastic but difficult to fabricate such a neat bracket. I got mine from Jacksons Leisure.

Her ladyship wants a toilet in the van to reduce the risk associated with using shared facilities, we’ve had the portapotty for years but never used it. One of my impulse buys when we first bought a california, I think we all buy loads of camping stuff and end up leaving it in the garage because it clutters up the van. Had some plywood and T trim left over from my previous projects so made a base to secure it to the rails. View attachment 62400View attachment 62401View attachment 62402View attachment 62403

View attachment 62404

View attachment 62405

View attachment 62406
Neat job, where can I buy the black hold down rail bolts ?

A throne fit for a King...or Queen.

Great work. What is the rubber looking material you’ve attached, to presumably save the rails from getting scraped?

Also, where did you get your cover from?

Great work. What is the rubber looking material you’ve attached, to presumably save the rails from getting scraped?

The black area is where I routed out the plywood so that it sits flat over the rails, I just painted it black to cover up the plywood.

I absolutely agree with you, that’s why it hadn’t been used the last 10 years, but try and convince my wife who is a reluctant campervaner and wants me to change it for a motorhome
Well a tough decision.....
Motor home vs
Poo in your van vs
New wife?
The decision is yours, but I’d avoid the first 2 for sure!
;)

My wife made the cover, quite a fiddly job by all accounts.

Great job. Funny I was just planning on making a bracket to fix the ports potty for when vehicle is in motion. Same situation for us, wife and kids need alternatives to public loos (or lack of). Think I might try and make it w little more discrete.

also. Hope you don’t mind but I’m also copying you pod kitchen idea. Crediting you to anyone that asks about it obviously!

Put the porta potty on a bath mat, put the mat in the wash when you get back?

Last edited:
I don't really understand the objection to using a porta-potti. I use the toilet in my house, it's not as if we have an outside toilet. So why not in the van?

Back