Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Camping

How late will you be arriving? Most pubs will let you Kip in their car park if you eat there, some if you’re just having drinks. Or cafes/pubs/hotels that open early for breakfast may be okay with you rocking up late if you book brekkie with them.
Thanks @Elly Swanson . Unknown ETA at the moment but could be 10pm (or later). Might have a look at Britstops and check a couple of pubs out.

Can anybody recommend a safe spot in the Chichester/Portsmouth area for a 1 night stopover? Most campsites are fully booked due to the Goodwood Revival on the night in question plus we won’t arrive until quite late and many sites won’t tolerate that.
Prince of Wales pub Linsey Rd, Woodgate, Chichester PO20 3ST, might be worth a try. They have camping adjacent to pub ( and railway line!).

Thanks all.
We’ll either stay at Port Solent (FOC) or Portsmouth Truckstop (Secure. £25 with EHU). Spoken to them both.

Thanks all.
We’ll either stay at Port Solent (FOC) or Portsmouth Truckstop (Secure. £25 with EHU). Spoken to them both.
I think truck stops allow you p1ss over your front wheel.
Thats what I've seen.
No need filling up the port poti :D

I think truck stops allow you p1ss over your front wheel.
Thats what I've seen.
No need filling up the port poti :D
Often do a wild pee anyway :)

The TruckStop do a mega breakfast apparently. That’s tempting.

Related topic. Has anybody parked their Cali in the multi-story carpark by the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth? Looks like there’s a 2.1m height restriction.

Often do a wild pee anyway :)

The TruckStop do a mega breakfast apparently. That’s tempting.
Ohhh ! from the pics it seems that they have Mr Prestley doing a permanent gig there ... proper old school style

1662409661158.png

and yeah the breakfast looks real tempting

1662409693397.png

Love that! :thumb

Thanks again all. We’ve booked the Truckstop :) :)
Will be a new experience for us !!

Thanks again all. We’ve booked the Truckstop :) :)
Will be a new experience for us !!
reminds me of the time I parked at the Dublin Ferry terminal truck stop. Woke up in the morning boxed in from three sides by trucks. The only way out was to reverse over the kerb, which was not too bad. Guess the truck drivers guessed there was a way out so were ok to box me in knowing that I had an escape route ... but they would have been sleeping in their cabs and would have kindly moved their big rigs out of the way, if I had requested.

Related topic. Has anybody parked their Cali in the multi-story carpark by the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth? Looks like there’s a 2.1m height restriction.
Be careful. We got in an underground car park once with space to clear. Exit was supposed to be the same but we ended up damaging the top fanlight on our old Hiace.

So thanks again for the above help.

Our recent trip included a wild camping spot adjacent to Goodwood Horse Racecourse, then 1 night at the Portsmouth Truckstop and 1 night at Poole Ferry Port.

1. Goodwood wild camping spot. Shared it with with a few other vans the night before Goodwood Revival. Lovely views and a Hill Fort to climb with great views from the top out to sea.
2. Portsmouth Truckstop. Was a little apprehensive but turned out to be great. Very friendly staff, secure site with showers and toilets and the cafe does excellent breakfasts. £25 including EHU.
3. Poole Ferry Port. We had an early ferry to Cherbourg so this was ideal. Several others overnighted here. Showers and toilets available all night and a cafe open early in the morning. £10 no EHU.

D27D2F4D-A481-4A25-A644-6F3A92DF4793.jpeg

In the news today.

The ruling says:-

In a ruling on Monday, Sir Geoffrey Vos, Lord Justice Underhill and Lord Justice Newey granted the appeal, finding that the law “confers on members of the public the right to rest or sleep on the Dartmoor Commons, whether by day or night and whether in a tent or otherwise” as long as byelaws are followed.

So the question to ask is, does ‘otherwise’ allow campervans?

IMG_4579.png

In the news today.

The ruling says:-

In a ruling on Monday, Sir Geoffrey Vos, Lord Justice Underhill and Lord Justice Newey granted the appeal, finding that the law “confers on members of the public the right to rest or sleep on the Dartmoor Commons, whether by day or night and whether in a tent or otherwise” as long as byelaws are followed.

So the question to ask is, does ‘otherwise’ allow campervans?

View attachment 112262
No unauthorised vehicles allowed on Dartmoor common so nope.
Dust of your tent or bivy :thumb

No unauthorised vehicles allowed on Dartmoor common so nope.
Dust of your tent or bivy :thumb
Same as Scotland. Motorised transport excluded from wild camping. But good news that the court allowed camping which should be a right in more places.

Back