Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Will an alloy wheel fit as a spare

E

Ernie

The question is, will an alloy wheel fit in the spare hatch?

I don't see why not as the tyres are the same size. Only problem it may get scratched in the cradle, will get exposed to salt and grit during the winter and you'll be unlikely to take it off to clean it.

My 17" steels from Benn are slightly narrower than the Thunder Alloys so I cut some foam padding to stop the rattling.

Andy

And if it did why would you risk it look at old posts about stolen whhels

5 thunder alloys fitted from new on my van
Locking bolt & security clamp on spare
Spare sits inside van in boot most of the winter when room not needed and still looks new

Alan

The spare - most essential thing and hardly ever used. Don't caught out without one. On the other hand I had an MX-5 for for four years with no spare and never needed it.

Knowing I was coming to NZ with lots of unsealed roads, I though I'd make sure I had two just in case (thanks Benn), as some places are well off the beaten track. Having two I can swap them onto the same axle without trying to rotate 5 wheels and ensure I actually get some value from the spare.

Andy

Ernie said:
The question is, will an alloy wheel fit in the spare hatch?

It does. Mine supplied with one from new.
Has wheels safe lock, and a wheel cover to protect from corrosion and disguise it.

If I was buying a spare I would buy steel though.

my 19ich 245 45 did not fit .as i have fitted big disc .i need to get a 19inch spare under the van but no joy

SLIME repair kit.

WelshGas said:
SLIME repair kit.
have 2 bottles in the van .just stuck with standard as a spear tyre .if i get a front go down .have to put rear tyre up front .spear on the rear :headbang

If your wheels won't fit where the spare is kept then consider keep some sort of bag or waterproof cover in the vehicle that the wheel will fit in. When/if you get a puncture the flat tyre will have to be put somewhere. Friend of mine with a TT had to put a very dirty wheel on the back seat as it wouldn't fit where the space saver had come out of. Didn't do the cream leather many favours. :cry: Lucky the car wasn't full as well.

Back