Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind in awning issue

B

BickleyFamily

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi There,

Wondering if anyone has had this issue before and can advise.

Problem statement:

We have a T6 Ocean and a few weeks ago had an issue when winding in the awning. The issue being that that far end support arm (the one furtherest away from the winding mechanism) seemed to get stuck when about 20cm from completion (at this point the near end arm was already fully in). After some WD40 and winding out and back in it seemed to work. Since then we have used the awning three times and some time it goes in and others it sticks again.

It seems like the far end support arm is preventing the awning from rolling in smoothly every time. Sometimes because of this it creases the awning material itself.

Had any experienced a similar
Issue before and if yes, how did you get around it? Alternatively is anyone aware of any online resources on troubleshooting and fixing this issue? I have scoured the internet but cannot find anything useful.

No direct experience sorry. The hinges on these arms don’t appear to be a particularly close tolerance, so I’m wondering if the arm had been stressed and deformed a bit? Maybe check with a straight edge?

No direct experience sorry. The hinges on these arms don’t appear to be a particularly close tolerance, so I’m wondering if the arm had been stressed and deformed a bit? Maybe check with a straight edge?
Thanks, I wd40’ed the arms yesterday and today the awning seems fine, the best it has been for a while. Not sure if that is just luck. We are travelling the next 7 days and will see how it goes.

Thanks, I wd40’ed the arms yesterday and today the awning seems fine, the best it has been for a while. Not sure if that is just luck. We are travelling the next 7 days and will see how it goes.
I know this will sound crazy, but, WD40 is good for short term seize relief, but longer term you need something that sticks around. Lanolin is the super slippy stuff that works, and Morrisons Heel Balm is made with it. Smear that on and you’re good! I did say it was crazy ;)

H
I know this will sound crazy, but, WD40 is good for short term seize relief, but longer term you need something that sticks around. Lanolin is the super slippy stuff that works, and Morrisons Heel Balm is made with it. Smear that on and you’re good! I did say it was crazy ;)
Haha, oddly enough I have some lanolin with me, will try that too :)

The last thing I eased with lanolin was a toilet waste and flush seal. Far better than the recommended white grease !!

Back