Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out awning panels

R

Rooney1000

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi

Just wondered what the view is on the best panels for the wind out awning on a 2018 california ocean.

We are finding that for one or two nights away it is a lot of hassle to put up our full awning and in the summer we really just need a space that we can use if raining or to store kids scooters at night etc (or portable toilet at night !).

Had a quick look online and seems to be various options.

Key for us would be quick to put up, waterproof and not too big a bag !

Thanks all.

Look at the search results below this post - quite a few options. Can't remember which ones we got, but mainly because we never bother using them.

+1 for Outwell Hillcrest and Fallcrest - pretty good value and plenty of posts on these.

We have the Comfortz sides, excellent quality and work well. Have a look on the club shop.

I bought the cysgod side and front awnings off here 2nd hand. (https://cysgodawningshades.co.uk/)
Super quick to put up and fold down really small (both slide into tailgate). Really well made. 2 sides of privacy in less than 5 mins, not sure what more you'd want.
B

I use a £20 Amazon camping tarp with a kador strip sewn on for the front - works perfectly. Ideal and very effective if you don't want to splash out on a 'proper' one. We have another one for the side that fixes with bungee balls on the side arms. We had heavy rain and wind one day in France last week and they did a great job of keeping everything under the awning dry. 1000012670.jpg

The following thread gives some solutions ….

I’ve also seen the following tarp used recently - it looks very effective and quick to assemble. A bit pricey though.

Question on the Comfort panels; they look great and I assume the extra guys/pegging points negate the usual wind risk (when used in tandem with tie-downs), but how do you get on with rain on the awning? I find I have to tilt the awning quite a bit to ensure the water doesn't pool on it (with potentially damaging consequences if the pooling gets too much!) and with the awning panels attached, the photos I've seen make it look almost level!

Question on the Comfort panels; they look great and I assume the extra guys/pegging points negate the usual wind risk (when used in tandem with tie-downs), but how do you get on with rain on the awning? I find I have to tilt the awning quite a bit to ensure the water doesn't pool on it (with potentially damaging consequences if the pooling gets too much!) and with the awning panels attached, the photos I've seen make it look almost level!
No issues with sloping the awning, the sides are pegged with bungees so they stay under tension. We had ours out in a storm in Belgium with no issues.

I bought the cysgod side and front awnings off here 2nd hand. (https://cysgodawningshades.co.uk/)
Super quick to put up and fold down really small (both slide into tailgate). Really well made. 2 sides of privacy in less than 5 mins, not sure what more you'd want.
B
I wanted to get these, always buy British made items if I can, but their lead times were and remain terrible. There is made to order and there is rightsize your factory if you can’t keep up. The definition of leaving money on the table. Shame.

Back