Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Bit of a mystery. Went out to our six week old Cali this morning and found the screen had a six inch long crack from the top right in the centre behind the mirror. No sign of the crack last night..
Got on to Admiral who passed me on to Autoglass their glass partners.
Seems that if your Cali has a rain sensor then the screens aren't a stock item. Nearly two weeks to get hold of one. :eek:
I don't quite understand why the screen is different if a rain senor is fitted as I thought the sensor was fitted in the back of the mirror, nothing to do with the screen.
Hopefully it wont get any worse as we are off to the Lakes next week.

The crack might spread but don't worry, it will not suddenly disintegrate.

I had the same delay with my BMW. It's to do with a bit of the screen that is shaded. A techie thing that sent me to sleep within ten seconds of start of explanation.

Normally a small stone chip, unnoticeable, but then spreads ...

This happened to my car a few years back when my wife borrowed it. Seems she poured hot water on the screen to defrost it!

Sensor is fixed to windscreen not the mirror.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Got the new screen in OK now.
The fitter said he thinks it was a stress fracture as there was no impact point there.
The rain sensor is actualyl fitted in the back of the mirror but there is a plastic clip which holds it in place bonded to the screen. The screen itself is exactly the same for non rain sensor and with rain sensor.
Seems a stupid idea to me if you have to wait two weeks for a screen. The fitter agreed it would be possible to just bond the plastic clip on on site while the screen is being fitted.

Back