Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter campsite advice

Oceandream A-T

Oceandream A-T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Good evening, we’re looking at a short trip in our new Cali over the Xmas/New year period, can anyone offer any advice on lovely campsites anywhere in the South. We’re located in Dorset but happy to travel.

thanks very much

We have just come home from a few nights at CMHC site at Minehead small site may fit the bill.

Winter is the easiest time of year to free camp. Less campers about and known spots which are policed tend to only have that happen through summer.

If it’s just a few nights away, you probably won’t need anything a campsite offers anyway...?

Caravan & Motorhome Club sites have mainly hard standings with obvious seasonal benefits. Members only. Camping & Caravanning Club also have some hard standings, open to non members.

Many Club Local Areas organise meets over that period and will probably have prebooked the best sites.

My favourite winter sites:

CAMC ferry meadows: Miles of all weather paths around lakes and rivers, pub a short walk away.

C&CC Canterbury: Bus almost by the entrance, short trip into city centre: Golf club over the road. bar and restaurant open to non members.

CAMC Battle: Need to drive everywhere but a lovely site.

Winter is the easiest time of year to free camp. Less campers about and known spots which are policed tend to only have that happen through summer.

If it’s just a few nights away, you probably won’t need anything a campsite offers anyway...?
I cannot go a night without a shower facility, just hate the idea of being unpolished so it is camp sites or camping next to a leisure centre etc. In the grand scheme of things most campsites are as cheap as chips certainly midweek during the winter. So why not enjoy the "luxury" of of a walk in the rain to the facilities.

Good evening, we’re looking at a short trip in our new Cali over the Xmas/New year period, can anyone offer any advice on lovely campsites anywhere in the South. We’re located in Dorset but happy to travel.

thanks very much
Dulverton on the edge of Exmoor. C and MH club site. Very smart site and lovely area. Great food at Woods in the village.

thanks very much
We stayed at Bridge Inn, Michaelchurch Ecksley. A bit west but lovely, tranquil, on a stream, only 5 pitches, very warm single loo and shower and on pub site.
Also Thistledown Farm near Gloucester. Also very exquisite. This week coming heading hopefully Sharpness way.

I cannot go a night without a shower facility, just hate the idea of being unpolished so it is camp sites or camping next to a leisure centre etc. In the grand scheme of things most campsites are as cheap as chips certainly midweek during the winter. So why not enjoy the "luxury" of of a walk in the rain to the facilities.

Im a dirty bugger. Did a week in Morocco without showering and yes i did stink a bit...:Depressed
Well apparently, think i got used to it...:D

thanks very much
C&CC in Chertsey is very nice. A couple of hours up the M3 and you are in a large leafy site. You have RHS Wisley nearby for keen gardeners, Brooklands for the plane and motor enthusiast and Kew a short train ride away from Chertsey Station. You can also get to London easily on the train from there. Riverside walks, etc. We've been there quite a few times in the winter.