Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wirral newbies - Dashcam Question

John Curwen

John Curwen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,
Just paid the deposit on an ex-demo Cali Ocean from VW Van Centre North Wales and really looking forward to getting out there in June. We've booked Camperjam for Sunday 8th July so hopefully be able to catch up with some of you there.
At the moment the only question I have is - Has anyone had a dash cam fitted? - I am thinking of the Nextbase 312 and getting Halfords to do a permanent wiring installation - it would be good to know if anyone has any experience of Halfords installation or perhaps alternate suggestions.
Thanks, John.

Hello John I'm not far from you and also bought my van from the same dealer.

I'm also using a Nextbase dash cam but didn't get Halfords to install it. The cam comes with sufficient lead to reach the 12v socket by the sink behind the passenger seat. It only takes a few minutes to hide the lead behind the rubber seal around the door, and then up the windscreen pillar finally tucking into the headlining behind the sun visor to to top centre of the windscreen behind the mirror.

One thing to note is that this 12v socket is always live (as are all the others) when the ignition is off, so there is a small drain on the (leisure) batteries. Sometimes it is handy to have the cam running when you leave the vehicle, other times I just disconnect it.

Anyway welcome, maybe we will have an "eyeball" soon! Where are you on the Wirral?

:welcome

:welcome John

Many have hard wired Dash Camera's and there are serveral posts detailing how it has been done. I have done the same as Colin (Motorcyclist) and plug ours into 12v behind passanger seat which works for us.

I have a Nextbase dashcam. I bought two cables and swop it between the van and my daily driver. You can buy the hardwire bits you need from Halfords. I have it hardwired to my car and the dealer did that for me before I picked it up. Haven't hard wired it to the van yet but I will do soon. I believe its a straightforward thing to do if you know what you're doing The dealer didn't charge me anything for doing it.

I'm sure Halfords will be OK but if you get the kit from Halfords I'm sure the VW Dealer will hardwire it for you before you pick it up.

May be worth double-checking that the 12v socket you're using is actually wired to the leisure battery not the main vehicle battery. Many previous posts indicate that VW are 'idiosyncratic' in how they wire the various 12v outlets and the belief that 'everything rear of the B pillar is leisure battery' often doesn't hold.

Hi
I wanted something small and easy to forget about.
I went for the Kenwood DVR 410 that VW fit for £20.

Touch wood it's been no trouble at all and reasonable quality video when I have felt like looking.
The main thing for me was that it's hard wired.

There's a bit here
drv-410-dash-cam.17389

Hi John.
I’m also around the corner (ish) in Warrington.
I think a NW members meet is in order :thumb

Hello John I'm not far from you and also bought my van from the same dealer.

I'm also using a Nextbase dash cam but didn't get Halfords to install it. The cam comes with sufficient lead to reach the 12v socket by the sink behind the passenger seat. It only takes a few minutes to hide the lead behind the rubber seal around the door, and then up the windscreen pillar finally tucking into the headlining behind the sun visor to to top centre of the windscreen behind the mirror.

One thing to note is that this 12v socket is always live (as are all the others) when the ignition is off, so there is a small drain on the (leisure) batteries. Sometimes it is handy to have the cam running when you leave the vehicle, other times I just disconnect it.

Anyway welcome, maybe we will have an "eyeball" soon! Where are you on the Wirral?

:welcome

Thanks, sounds like a good idea, I’ll deffo be looking at this option soon after I pick it up.

Thanks for the welcome, And yes, I reckon an “eyeball”is a distinct possibility. We’re in Bebington, not far from. Clatterbridge hospital.

Hi John.
I’m also around the corner (ish) in Warrington.
I think a NW members meet is in order :thumb
Sounds like a good idea to me Paul, it would be great to meet local members although I’m probably going to be asking more than I can give at the moment.

Just beware that some cheaper hardwire kits that drop the voltage from 12 to 5 volts can ruin the DAB reception.