Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Worrying!!!!!

I wrote software for engines and gearboxes for a number of years and still work in Automotive doing system engineering and architecture. We manufacturers take it all very seriously as the consequences of getting it wrong can be catastrophic, financially for the manufacturer, and physically for the people involved.

There are safety standards applied to software development. For automotive it is not as strict as for aviation but follows the same principles.

All European manufacturers develop their cars to these standards. In court your defense is to demonstrate that your development processes were conducted according to these standards, and you must be able to prove it. External audits happen on a regular basis.

Most cases of unintended acceleration are thrown out due to the probability of both the engine and braking systems simultaneously failing and causing an uncontrolled acceleration being way less than the probability of driver error.

I was in the software team writing engine management software when Nellie Mole, 72, killed 3 and injured 9 in one of our products. Tests were conducted on the Gaydon test track to prove that the car in question could be brought to a complete stop from maximum speed with both accelerator and brake pedal simultaneously pressed. Witness statements also revealed that the brake lights of the car involved were not illuminated. Nowadays we have onboard telemetry to determine exactly what happened in an accident.

At 3.45pm, the Rover with Mrs Mole at the wheel crossed the carriageway of New Milton's main street, Station Road, hitting a parked car.
It collided with a Ford Fiesta driven by Jean Tucker, 67, who escaped uninjured.
The Rover then collided with cyclist Mrs Hazel Danks, 67, who was ''carried for some distance by the Rover as it collided with other cars''. Mrs Danks, of New Milton, was killed;
The car went on to mount the footpath and collided with four cars.
Three children in one were injured, none of seriously.
It then hit pedestrian Mrs Joan Abbot, 35, and her daughter Amanda, 13. Mrs Abbot, of Hordle, Hants, died in hospital. Her daughter suffered serious head injuries.
The car collided with pedestrian Mrs Audrey Williams, 72, of Llantwit Major, South Glamorgan, who was certified dead at the scene.
Five more pedestrians were hit by the car. Two were injured seriously.
The Rover was brought to a standstill by a lamp post.
The road was closed for more than four hours.
Police are appealing for witnesses.

These issues are not new, the incident linked is from 1990 .... yes, the software is more complicated and the systems more integrated but we take the job of creating safe products very seriously.

No doubt the resultant investigation will reveal what happened.

Yes but if the car 'thought' the cruise control was set at 30mph the regenerative breaking would only be used to maintain the speed when required?

I have a Volvo XC40 EV and that doesn't even have a button to start and stop the car you just get in a drive off, it's quite disconcerting at first....
Regen braking is not used when in cruise control, it uses the brakes.

He sold his story to the Scottish Sun which pays for stories of “ my EV horror “
Of course his missus supplied good pictures like the one of the police car alongside asking for the keys. Was she taking photos while driving ?
If these cars are clever enough to kidnap people surely they’d have better taste ?

I had an incident with a Renault Laguna a few years back. The Laguna had a manufacturing fault that sometimes caused the accelerator to jam (usually hard on) one day on the M1 the accelerator jammed hard on and the engine accelerated rapidly. Applying the brakes would not slow it down as it packed quite a BHP. It accelerated to 90+. Ultimately I pulled it into neutral at which point the engine over revd, beyond the rev limit, blowing the turbo then blowing the engine. Lots of noise and smoke. Luckily I got it on the hard shoulder and called the RAC. New engine and new turbo from Renault together with a fix to accelerator defect recall.. I would never buy a Renault again. I read about a couple of stories about similar issues with that generation of Renault Laguna's.

Another EV worry.
I read this morning that several insurers are now declining to insure some Tesla models. One guy’s renewal premium on a Tesla Model Y went from 1k to 5k !!!!!!

View attachment 115202
That’s why I wouldn’t buy into the whole EV stop gap clan,
can’t beat a good old internal combustion engine ️

I'm talking about the moment I touch the brakes, not when ACC is adjusting the speed. The moment I touch the brake when in cruise control regen kicks in, on my Cupra. Slows the car down quite dramatically.

Last edited:
Regen braking kicks in on our EV when you take your foot off the throttle. Have hardly used the brake pedal in 20k miles.

Although sounds like this bloke was in urgent need of a working brake pedal!

That’s why I wouldn’t buy into the whole EV stop gap clan,
can’t beat a good old internal combustion engine ️
Especially a VTEC! My old Civic Vti was a blast!!

Just in case anyone else gets kidnapped by an EV, here is the phone number for the Scottish Sun. Put it in your contacts and ring them first.A2D76BF4-9C6F-4751-B3AC-0BFA4DCF2B6F.jpeg

I know you should never judge a book by it cover. But, well, yes I think I know where the fault lies.

I do love the glum expressions this type of report has to have on the victims face.
Assume he bought the anorak to match the car?

It has never been difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine

Is Mr Morrison looking naffed off because his Mrs wouldn’t pay the ransom?