Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you take out VW extended warranty?

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Am sure I saw this discussed b4 but interested in your views and what you'd do
Cali 3 year warranty runs out end Dec
Roof corrosion all noted and in the system
only had niggling faults in 3 years really...no horror stories like I sometimes see on here
VW extended warranty quote
Comprehensive
£1053 £75 excess £920 £200 xcess
Component (not injectors audio window regulator)
£677 £75 xcess £533 £200 xcess
Claim limit £2500 both options

Seems a lot to me .... what would you do / will you do / have you done when your 3 years up?

Stick a grand in the bank and go on holiday. If something breaks, pay for it!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

As above.

Claims limited to £2,500?

not worth it.

Was in same dilemma. Warrantywise quote £1k for 3 years cover, £100 excess. No major limits, just had EGR valve fail, 1k to repair, no problem with claim... Settled v quickly, now quids in....

NO WAY!
I was offered one after my numerous problems by VW for FREE and still refused it. 1650 quid with a 2500 (my pound sign key has gone funny BTW!) per claim limit - utterly insane! The roof, any engine issue, any drivetrain issue, etc, etc wouldn't be covered.
I was so shocked (as were VW CS) that I cancelled immediately having not quite absorbed how daft the claim limit was.

Extended warranties are just tarted up insurance and in 99% of cases, utterly useless. Mondial underwrites almost all of them and I don't know how they get away with it - but the Cali "warranty" is definitely far worse than other ones they offer. Usually there's no claim limit.

Luckily I managed to get another years cover (actually 14 months) by VW - proper cover, the same as the factory warranty with no excess. And two years extra VW Assist.

I thought extended warranty was for one year but one of above had it for 3 years for the £1K???? cos if so £300 per year aint that bad.....

Yup the warrantywise seemed a bit of a no brained despite some views to the contrary.... I am already quids in and have 2 1/2 years warranty left....

Not worth it. VW has shown its colours with the way it deals with Cali warranty issues more generally.

It looks like we are talking about several different things here:

We all get 3 years warranty - which is generally considered to be very comprehensive.

Then at the end of the 3 years VW will contact you and offer a 3rd party warranty (which is provided by Mondial Assistance - it appears that these are the ones that are £1000 per year and have a maximum pay-out per claim of £2500.

Then it looks like some people have been getting independent warranties from places like www.warrantywise.co.uk, and these appear to be £1000 for 3 years and look to have some reasonable reviews.

I am guessing the warrantywise ones don't cover the camping bits, but I suspect the Mondial ones don't either. However if it covers for the common problems around EGR, DPF, Steering Column as well as more major/rare problems with engine and gearbox then it sounds like they are reasonable VFM.

Can people with warrantywise cover confirm that they sought those policies themselves and give an indication of price, cover, excess, exclusions etc?

Thanks

Tony

We nearly went with WarrantyWise a few years ago but was told to avoid them at all costs as they love to use the 'wear and tear' card !

Loads of bad reviews about them online ( this is just one site) Just google them and they are talked about on loads of forums

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Car-Insuran ... ws_2147450

When you think about it, for that sort of money there is no way they could make a profit.

Warranty Direct is horrific (been there), I suspect Warrantywise is similar.
I'd set aside an emergency pot of cash instead.

interestingly apart from moo valve and roof corrosion most of our warranty things have been with the "camping" interior stuff which is not covered by any extended warranty!
I think I'll go with the pay for it if it happens route....mt RAC covers all the breakdown stuff and Comfort Insurance offer an option to have European breakdown cover for £58
and if something goes wrong it will be cash in an ISA that earns naff all anyway!
thanks all.... :D