Wrapping to hide corrosion?

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm on holidays and only have my phone here.

Suddenly wondered if anyone ever wrapped the ugly corrossion spots on their van's roof? Not so prevent it (as that wont work) bit as a cosmetic solution?

VW did the warranty repairs on our T5.1 but (at least in NL) that did not include the front cover and the spots annoy me. I see them each day and although they are said to not have an impact on the structure of the van, I just think they make the Cali look less nice.

So wondered if just a small horizontal strip of wrapping to cover the spots near the rubber strip would be an option.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm on holidays and only have my phone here.

Suddenly wondered if anyone ever wrapped the ugly corrossion spots on their van's roof? Not so prevent it (as that wont work) bit as a cosmetic solution?

VW did the warranty repairs on our T5.1 but (at least in NL) that did not include the front cover and the spots annoy me. I see them each day and although they are said to not have an impact on the structure of the van, I just think they make the Cali look less nice.

So wondered if just a small horizontal strip of wrapping to cover the spots near the rubber strip would be an option.
You would have to treat the spots etc to provide a good surface and if your doing that why not just respray the front panel. Probably cost the same as repairing and wrapping and last as long.

Perhaps you are right. I thought the cost of respraying would be quite high and much more then wrapping such a small part. That's why I haven't seriously considered doing it. I also thought that perhaps not just any spraypaint guy could do it? Or could I get just any regular company/guy to spray it? No vw- or cali- or corrosion-specific things they'd need to know or have experience with?

Perhaps you are right. I thought the cost of respraying would be quite high and much more then wrapping such a small part. That's why I haven't seriously considered doing it. I also thought that perhaps not just any spraypaint guy could do it? Or could I get just any regular company/guy to spray it? No vw- or cali- or corrosion-specific things they'd need to know or have experience with?
A smaller bodyshop rather than a big accident repair centre, someone who deals with vehicle renovations particularly Old Land Rovers , common problem on them.
Needs to be rubbed down, high zinc based primer rubbed down and resprayed either matching or coloured contrast. The only difference would be respray or wrap which wouldn't be matching colour anyway.

It’s just cost me £950 to get the front wrapped so wrapping is not a cheap option. Better to go down the spraying route as WelshGas suggests.