Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

German Alps stopover recommendations please!

drmanhattan

drmanhattan

VIP Member
Hi,
I'm planning a short trip in the Cali to Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps at the end of the month. I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for stopover places - camping, wildcamp spots, places of interest etc. I'm not keen on paying French tolls so will take alternative routes where possible. Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Depending on where you are taking the ferry, driving east through The Netherlands (Arnhem) or Belgium (Bastogne) to Germany and then down South will evade the French toll.

When in the German Alps, you may want to consider the German Alpine Road to Berchtesgaden. Very nice route!

Thanks bvddobb, I like the sound of the Alpine Road. I may well give that a go if fuel budget allows it.

Hi,
I'm planning a short trip in the Cali to Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps at the end of the month. I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for stopover places - camping, wildcamp spots, places of interest etc. I'm not keen on paying French tolls so will take alternative routes where possible. Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi

You could try St Heinrich, at the bottom end of Starnbergersee (See = lake), ie opposite end from the town of Starnberg. Or there's a site on Pilsensee, which is good. We've been to both and can recommend them Don't expect massive clearance between pitches and there're relatively expensive but that's Germany for you. There are some sites near Chiemsee, which is a bit nearer Berchtesgadenerland but further from Munich, which I would recommend you visit if you're in the area. Then there's a site on the Riegsee near Murnau which isn't bad and another on Staffelsee, also near Murnau, which we haven't been to as it doesn't allow dogs. If you haven't been before, it's a lovely area and the Bavarian Alps are stunning. While you're at B'gaden take the opportunity to visit Salzburg in Austria, but beware, there's a toll to drive on Austrian motorways.