Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenon headlights adjustment?

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Having used our previous California extensively in Europe, we had a pair of Perspex headlight covers to deflect the dipped beam. Our new California has xenons. Nowhere in the handbook can I find any information about whether they need to be adjusted for use outside the UK. On one of my previous cars with bi-xenons, there was a knob on the back of the light unit which you simply twisted to convert to right dip.
I know that some xenons do not require any change. Can anyone out there advise me? We are travelling through France, Spain, and into Portugal in about a week's time. Thanks.

There is quite a lot of discussion about this on the forum. I found the search term "bi-xenons" found the most useful items.
No matter how perfectly adjusted, bi-xenons are very bright. If you are going uphill (as on a hump back bridge) the beam will be raised and dazzle an oncoming driver. I now wait until as late as possible to dip my lights so it's clear to an oncoming driver that I'm not on main beam.
I think bi-xenons are too bright (and too expensive!).

Xenons can be set at any VW dealers to run "flat"... i.e. no kick to left or right so equally good for UK or continent. My local dealer did it in 5 minutes flat, no charge.

Embarrassed to use the headlights - went back to dealer three times for re-setting and no improvement. Now use tape to blank part of beam even in the UK. Main problem is the brightness and very sharp cut-off on dipped beam so oncoming drivers can get a sudden dazzle.
Any suggestions really welcomed.
Driving in Europe I use insulating tape (cheapest plastic which comes away easily after, final clean up with meths NOT thinners) and spend ages fiddling with bits of cardboard and masking tape to work out what to blank. Have used permanent markers to record for next year but that usually disappears over winter.
Have a great trip, wish I was going.

I have had no problems, although I do agree they are expensive.

I was going to say "never been flashed at" .... then thought about it

Back