Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlight Alignment Adjustment - How ?

a21daloa

a21daloa

Hello All,
How do you adjust the alignment of the headlights on a 2007 California ?
I was recently on a winter driving course when the instructor pointed out that my OS headlight was basically blinding oncoming traffic - doh !
He told me only dealer can sort that out, but I'm happy to have a go myself (and a bit careful with my NOK here in super expensive Norway. The dealer will want 100 quid to open the bonnet. :eek: )
I have ample darkness to test out the beam, I just need to know where / how the adjusters work. I cannot find a decent owners manual on line either, so if anyone knows how to do this I would be very grateful.
Best Regards Darren, Sandnes Norway

PS I have pointed the lights at there lowest point possible using the electrical adjustment setting for safety reasons, but this is not the optimal end solution.

Are there manual adjustment screws on the back of the headlights ?? I have never had the need to look.
Maybe a case of the electronic adjustment being out of sync with each other.
What does it say in the manual ?

Just looked in the manual & the only adjustment is the level adjustment. Also looked at back of the headlamps & is no adjustment.
Looks like it is a dealer job.

The only DiY solution would be to use another car with correctly adjusted lights. Park one next to each other, in the dark, with the same distance to a wall and adjust the beams at the same level. Biggest difficulty is that the reference car would have to have the headlights at the same hight as your, best would be another T5. Of course the electric adjustment must be a at the highest point when van is empty. Alternatively you can do it with your car only, at least this will give you an idea if both light beams are at the same level. If you are absolutely positive that they are blinding just lower them 10%, make a test drive to see if the range stays reasonable. Adjustment screws will be typically on the corners of the headlight. Of course this is all not the same as proper adjustment with instrument, which you can make when visiting a cheaper country :mrgreen:

Adjustment screws will be typically on the corners of the headlight. Of course this is all not the same as proper adjustment with instrument, which you can make when visiting a cheaper country

Andresz as I said in my last post there do not appear to be adjusting screws on the headlamps, but I will look again in daylight tomorrow.

Andy said:
Andresz as I said in my last post there do not appear to be adjusting screws on the headlamps, but I will look again in daylight tomorrow.

Thank you Andy for that.
According to the service manual, the adjustment screws are the 2 white nuts on the top ot the headlight reflector. Both are the vertical adjustment and the external one is horizontal adjustment too.

Thank you Andy for that.
According to the service manual, the adjustment screws are the 2 white nuts on the top ot the headlight reflector. Both are the vertical adjustment and the external one is horizontal adjustment too.

OK I don't have a service manual, that would be why you can find it & I can not. Yes there are two white alan key sockets , one is at the top to the exterior end of the headlamp & other is down at the back of the lamp.
I was looking for screws / bolts at the back facing forward, so stupidly discounted the obvious white ones. Doh !

Thanks for your replies. I found the Allen key adjusters which I believe are only vertical and seem synchronised with the electrical adjustment; but the beam is also horizontally out of sync. So after reading the "How To" article, which confused me after 5 mins reading, I have decided to book the van in for the treatment to be done properly by the dealer. I will just go without food and drink for 2 weeks to pay for it here :eek:)
Thanks again for all your insights....
Regards Darren

a21daloa said:
Thanks for your replies. I found the Allen key adjusters which I believe are only vertical and seem synchronised with the electrical adjustment; but the beam is also horizontally out of sync. So after reading the "How To" article, which confused me after 5 mins reading, I have decided to book the van in for the treatment to be done properly by the dealer. I will just go without food and drink for 2 weeks to pay for it here :eek:)
Thanks again for all your insights....
Regards Darren

You are welcome Darren
Let us know if we shall inform the Red Cross to send you a parcel. you can also possibly go for the salmon catch, it must be easy in Norway. :laugh2
And out of curiosity please let us know how much they finally charged you for the job. Hopefully it will only be the adjustment rather then parts replacement, in that case it should not be really expensive.

Regards

Hello All,
How do you adjust the alignment of the headlights on a 2007 California ?
I was recently on a winter driving course when the instructor pointed out that my OS headlight was basically blinding oncoming traffic - doh !
He told me only dealer can sort that out, but I'm happy to have a go myself (and a bit careful with my NOK here in super expensive Norway. The dealer will want 100 quid to open the bonnet. :eek: )
I have ample darkness to test out the beam, I just need to know where / how the adjusters work. I cannot find a decent owners manual on line either, so if anyone knows how to do this I would be very grateful.
Best Regards Darren, Sandnes Norway

PS I have pointed the lights at there lowest point possible using the electrical adjustment setting for safety reasons, but this is not the optimal end solution.
Obvious question but has it had a replacement bulb at some stage and it hadn't been fitted correctly. This is a common issue with a lot of vehicles in the uk.

Obvious question but has it had a replacement bulb at some stage and it hadn't been fitted correctly. This is a common issue with a lot of vehicles in the uk.
That’s a record - 12years since the previous post on this thread, I do hope he hasn’t been driving round with a dodgy light for that long.

Back