Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yet another charger question

berg86

berg86

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So I am sorry to do another charger question, but I can't seem to solve my issue searching the forums.

Car is Westfalia California Biker -96.

When I connect my mains 220v the voltage on the panel goes up to 14.2V briefly, but then it goes down to 13.5V again (same as unplugged).
If I disconnect the mains the charger makes a few ticking sounds.
Measuring the voltage on the B+ and B-1 from charger also shows 13.5V same as battery.

When connecting a seperata CTEK charger from the same 220v outlet I can charge leisure battery fine showing 14.2V (same as when driving.)
Cable symbol on panel does not show at all.

So a few questions.
1. My charger is not original?
2. Should my set-up charge both engine and leisure battery?
3. What charger should I replace this with if it is broken?

IMG_7443.JPEG

IMG_7444.JPEG

IMG_7446.JPEG

IMG_7447.JPEG

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Fredrik

Probably different types of charges and charging profiles.
The original charger is dropping into float or maintenance, whereas the ctek is prepared to charge to a higher amount.

Are your batteries going flat?

Probably different types of charges and charging profiles.
The original charger is dropping into float or maintenance, whereas the ctek is prepared to charge to a higher amount.

Are your batteries going flat?

So you mean charger is OK?

Both batteries had low charge this morning since I had some starting issues.
So should not go into maintenance mode?

Checked voltage on engine battery and also remained at 12.8V when connecting.

Judging from the pictures you don't have the original charger under the fridge. Couldn't say what make it is. The likelihood of it charging both your leisure and engine batteries is pretty remote, unless the previous owner took the time to send a feed to the starter battery from the charger.

What is the best Ctek charger for the California is it the MXS 3.8 thanks in advance.

On the same issue, reacebtly I posted an issue with a charger.
Since I have bitten the bullet and bought genuine Westfalia charger from Gunzl.
I have installed it and it’s advanced version to my old one as it has capacity to charge starter battery too, not wired it yet.
Currently on my first trip of the year, prior to the trip I have purchased new batteries too, it just doesn’t seem to be working consistently or is it how it’s meant to be.
With old one and old batteries it was practically on all the time, now my batteries have dropped to 12.3V and it’s still not kicking in.
Other day after driving it for a while and getting back on site after plugging it in it stayed on for 3 hours. I know batteries won’t need much but I would have thought that it would still sporadically kick in.
I checked all the voltages going into the charger, which is fine but unsure why it’s on sometimes and not on other times. I know some of you guys have fitted these units in, reading through all previous posts, could someone enlighten me.
Many thsnks
Dav

After another investigation this morning I am hoping that it’s due to a loose connection in one of the pins. I have tightened connection pin, currently working so time will tell

2C26C238-6177-48E8-8054-E990B1A89A08.jpeg

B63B55F4-0596-4490-8D98-DF6EF82A3752.jpeg

Did you check the DIP switches on the rear of the over head control panel? These need setting according to battery type and quantity?

Did you check the DIP switches on the rear of the over head control panel? These need setting according to battery type and quantity?
I didn’t, would I need to rake the panel out or can it be done through display?

I
ho do you pull out the display panel please?

I

ho do you pull out the display panel please?

Removing the panel is similar to removing a CD Headunit. There are a couple of holes, one either side of the display. You’ll need to find a couple of small screwdrivers to slot in them. This pushes back some spring clips allowing the display unit to be pulled out towards you. Use equal amounts of force and caution as you don’t want to have to replace this unit - the price will make you cry. This PDF should be useful for you - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8K9aQyiuoZMZXcyNHliRUkwMHM/view?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrived home today after fabulous few days in Bridlington.
Managed to pull out display panel and adjust DIP switches and it seems to be working a treat. 14.5V when plugged in, showing plug icon, dropped down I’d fridge is switched on, just how it should be. All DIP switches were in off position even though previous owner has upgraded batteries. Not sure how it worked before. Having traveled through countless forums, websites and of course a help from you guys I now will attempt to repair my old charger.
Will keep you posted. Still need to figure out my heater but I suspect after major surgery my van went through over the winter, I have a funny feeling that beater was never connected or at least properly connected. Could be just a glow plug.

98A5AF56-7876-4599-91A1-13D2C055D933.jpeg

11D2EEC6-00A8-4C23-96A3-E0A49F38419C.jpeg

So I am sorry to do another charger question, but I can't seem to solve my issue searching the forums.

Car is Westfalia California Biker -96.

When I connect my mains 220v the voltage on the panel goes up to 14.2V briefly, but then it goes down to 13.5V again (same as unplugged).
If I disconnect the mains the charger makes a few ticking sounds.
Measuring the voltage on the B+ and B-1 from charger also shows 13.5V same as battery.

When connecting a seperata CTEK charger from the same 220v outlet I can charge leisure battery fine showing 14.2V (same as when driving.)
Cable symbol on panel does not show at all.

So a few questions.
1. My charger is not original?
2. Should my set-up charge both engine and leisure battery?
3. What charger should I replace this with if it is broken?

View attachment 43403

View attachment 43404

View attachment 43405

View attachment 43406

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Fredrik
Back to your original question. Thats not the original charger but if it works, leave it. Neither charger looks like its compatible with the westy control panel so the indication wont show on hook-up.

I bought the FraRon charger which is compatible with the westy control panel and has dual output so just the need for a single charger for both batteries.

IMG_20171219_132521 by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Back