Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

You’ve Come A Long Way, Baby....

Good Tax Break.:thumb

I see it is a member of the forum, must have had a Cali interior and roof fitted as the base vehicle looks like a Caravelle/shuttle.

Yep

• Vehicle make: VOLKSWAGEN
  • Date of first registration: January 2012
  • Year of manufacture: 2012
  • Cylinder capacity (cc): 1968 cc
  • CO₂Emissions: 0 g/km
  • Fuel type: DIESEL
  • Export marker: No
  • Vehicle status: Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour: GREY
  • Vehicle type approval: N1
  • Wheelplan: 2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight: 3000kg
It's a van... naughty... :)

I'll have a good look next time :D

Hove lagoon is my marker point.... it's exactly 13.1 miles from my house via the sea front promenades ... :D

I've never really taken much notice of it before.

It’s a perfect looking ‘replica’ even the water filler and plug-in are correct. Two sliding doors would be nice on a hot day. I can only imagine the work and cost involved in fitting out a California interior and exterior to a panel van. I wouldn’t want to bother. I’d rather pay for the real thing.

Don't be too envious guys. There's not much of a tax break here.

It’s a perfect looking ‘replica’ even the water filler and plug-in are correct. Two sliding doors would be nice on a hot day. I can only imagine the work and cost involved in fitting out a California interior and exterior to a panel van. I wouldn’t want to bother. I’d rather pay for the real thing.
I can't imagine two sliding doors would be much use on my Ocean.

I can't imagine two sliding doors would be much use on my Ocean.
Mine neither, all my tins of baked beans would fall out of the back of the under cooker/sink cupboard every time the left side sliding door was opened!

There’s one hell of a tax break if it’s a company car with the fuel paid!

Why is it?

Company car tax will apply to anyone using the car privately (sign written or not). Similarly, fuel tax will be paid on privately used fuel. The tax will be based on the un-discounted price of the car when new plus accessories.

My Cali produces 178 g Co2 per Km, so the relevant percentage is 37% (39% for 2018/2019)

The cost when new before discount was circa £67K

I am a 40% tax payer

£67,000 + 37% + 40% = £9,916

Plus fuel charge £8,362 + 40% = £3,344

Total personal tax bill £13,260. That's a lot to pay each year for a 7 year old bus.

Tax savings within the business- say £10,000 @19% = £1,900 (and I'm being generous)

This is after all, a car, not a van. It may have started life as a van, but it has windows and (presumably) seats behind the drivers door. It may also not be a £67K vehicle, but it has a lot of "accessories" to add to the base cost. There is no guarantee that any input VAT would be reclaimable.

I wouldn't want that as a company-provided vehicle. It's not tax-efficient.

I was working on the basis that it is still registered as a van (N1 class) therefore would have been taxed as a van for BIK. Maybe it doesn't work like that then?

It's a bit like parking in Swanage.

The N1 classification doesn't also apply to company car tax. The conversion of the vehicle will change its tax status. A van is for carrying "burden"; a car is for carrying people. An empty panel van is a van. A panel van with seats behind the drivers door is a car, N1 or otherwise.