Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping with babies

G

Golfmad7415

Can anyone share their experiences of camping with babies? We have a 6 month old boy, and when he was a baby we would take his Moses basket with us and he'd sleep on the swivel chair. He's now too big for the basket and is in a travel cot which is too big for our campervan. What do others do?!

We have been camping with our daughter since she was 8 months old. We bought some blow up tubes which slot into a bed sheet (they are called Dream Tubes and are designed to go in a kids bed to stop them falling out) and we put them across the downstairs bed width ways by the boot and we sleep upstairs. We have also left the rear seats up and our daughter has slept on the mattress in the boot (sounds a bit unkind, but she loved it and it was very safe...). The travel cot we've got doesn't quite fit in the floor space and is too tall to go on the bed. Our daughter is now 2 and we'll be trying her upstairs with the child net and Dream Tubes in the summer (which I hope means we'll be able to go to the toilet after she's gone to bed without waking her up...!)

I hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve - that's really helpful! I hope all goes well with your daughter in the roof bed this year!

Our daughter slept upstairs from 18 months old. All fine.

Thanks KernowLad. Our little boy won't stay still in his cot and rolls around everywhere! Its not uncommon for him to spin round 180 degrees in the night and finish up with his nose pressed against the cot bars. Roll on18 months when we might be able to put him in the roof bed but for now I need something to 'keep him in'!

Thanks too Cleve - I'll look at your post and suggestions!

Back