Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your opinions before buying...

totallyrocks

totallyrocks

Vehicle
N/A
Hi everyone I know you get allot of newbies asking the same questions but it is taking me forever to research every detail, I know what I want in a van but not sure the best route.

I have had a 72 bay and 87 T25 and now looking for something more economical/comforatable/reliable but aiming a setup for independance and highly versatile. My shopping list is below based on initial trawling and experiences, please comment on items you feel you would change or upgrade. I will occasionally go off road but still like to get into carparks, want to be free to not have to find a campsite and lastly be a home inside...

Largest engine 4motion with diff lock and highest number of gears, winch-anyone in the uk doing these?
Was looking at seikel but think VB air suspension would be more suitable, and less hassel
Wallas hob and heater-no gas bottles, does anyone have any experience with these?
200w stick on solar panels with uprated battery
2m bed, swivel seats, dvd/tv, usb or blutooth radio, and some sort of hot shower somewhere

Does anyone use a water filter for wild camping?

I like the quality of the Cali but not that everything is grey and really wanted just 2 windows as get cold sleeping next to the glass. Could I get a panel van and give it to a good converter?

Hi everyone I know you get allot of newbies asking the same questions but it is taking me forever to research every detail, I know what I want in a van but not sure the best route.

I have had a 72 bay and 87 T25 and now looking for something more economical/comforatable/reliable but aiming a setup for independance and highly versatile. My shopping list is below based on initial trawling and experiences, please comment on items you feel you would change or upgrade. I will occasionally go off road but still like to get into carparks, want to be free to not have to find a campsite and lastly be a home inside...

Largest engine 4motion with diff lock and highest number of gears, winch-anyone in the uk doing these?
Was looking at seikel but think VB air suspension would be more suitable, and less hassel
Wallas hob and heater-no gas bottles, does anyone have any experience with these?
2m bed, swivel seats, dvd/tv, usb or blutooth radio, and some sort of hot shower somewhere

Does anyone use a water filter for wild camping?

I like the quality of the Cali but not that everything is grey and really wanted just 2 windows as get cold sleeping next to the glass. Could I get a panel van and give it to a good converter?
This is what you need + a very good Converter.

http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/models/transporter_kombi/transporter-rockton.html

Welcome , you are shooting a lot of Q's regarding all diffrent items there...

There are a few topics on off-road by some members but as most of us just stay on the concrete there is not much info on here . But it all can be done .

Solarpower has been discussed sevral times , also DIY kits .

Waterfilter , some don't even bother using the 30liter tank and only use botlles so filtering riverwater is a thing most Cali owners don't do frequent.

Hot water in a Cali means you have to boil a kettle or a solar waterbag but unless you are in Spain or south-France (or a nice campsite) it could take a while to have a nice hot shower.

TV's should stay out of any campervan at anytime , imo.
Many treads on those anyway so you might check those out to see where others put them.

I would say read thru the topics you are intrested in , get your pro's next to the con's and decide weather a Cali is a option for you or if you go for a conversion....

For the spec that you require a good bespoke converter would be your best option. The Beach & Ocean California's are really finished vehicles that have only minor design change options.

From what I've gleaned in the past new vans are sourced from Ireland, south that is. If you can find a van to required spec below list price of £40k, note list price not purchase price, then you would avoid the extra VED payments.
Method would be buy the van, register it and then convert it.

I lurk here because I very nearly bought a California, only withdrew due to sharp practice by the dealership & like to see how people are getting on.

In answer to your question, I bought a T6 at a good tho still not cheap price & it's off to a converter shortly. Best looking at the T5 FB forum and ordinary forum as lots of discussion of converters there. It is a minefield but tonnes of info out there.

However, I will end up with the van as I need it for now & can change it if necessary.

2m bed, swivel seats, dvd/tv, usb or bluetooth radio, and some sort of hot shower somewhere

The Cali has heat reflective blinds (heat out in summer and in, in winter) they pop down into place, I've never found being near the windows as cold as it was in my t25.

Solar is pretty easy to put on the roof rails on the cali, there are ready made kits to fit it straight on and it's not massively difficult if you are a practical sort. The Cali SE already has 2 batteries, the Beach has space for another battery under the drivers seat (unless you fit a heater maybe).

Hot showers are achievable (see Drive nacho drive blog) but again its about space, these vans aren't massive so all these things reduce your living area.

It does sound like you need something very bespoke and you are probably going to get the best fit with something made to measure. 4 motion for example greatly reduces your carry weight as its a heavy addition on a cali.

The Cali has heat reflective blinds (heat out in summer and in, in winter) they pop down into place, I've never found being near the windows as cold as it was in my t25.

Solar is pretty easy to put on the roof rails on the cali, there are ready made kits to fit it straight on and it's not massively difficult if you are a practical sort. The Cali SE already has 2 batteries, the Beach has space for another battery under the drivers seat (unless you fit a heater maybe).

Hot showers are achievable (see Drive nacho drive blog) but again its about space, these vans aren't massive so all these things reduce your living area.

It does sound like you need something very bespoke and you are probably going to get the best fit with something made to measure. 4 motion for example greatly reduces your carry weight as its a heavy addition on a cali.

Regarding the reduced carry weight, this would be offset with the air suspension which uprates the GWV according to the VB rep on here.

Im not looking for a self contained shower like Stylevan (french) a curtain or enclosure from the rear doors would suffice.

Looking at the conversions they dont look as well fit but you get more options than grey.

Thanks for all the help guys, I like how vw does a few things like the integrated blinds and fold over matress but cant find a converter thats that good. Is it possible to buy these separatly or get them as options on a Rockton?

Have a look at Vanshades for blinds.

From my research, not yet applied, Celtic Motorhomes have a cracking reputation, as does T4Life & AJC Conversions. They are all booked up months ahead.

Back