Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your Winter camping tips?

We have just had a couple of days in the van with night temps down to freezing point. We have a Polar Technologies pop top cover and windscreen cover, these worked well but still a few concerns (in no particular order). This led me to thinking what experience/ advice to others have?

With nice thick duvet we were plenty warm during the night without heating on but cold nose n ears.

In the morning there was a fair amount of condensation on the plastic section of the roof above us. Also condensation alone the bed frame sides and the roof section of the hinge end. Anyone else get this? How do you deal with it?

The windscreen cover stopped all condensation and made it more comfortable to sit in the pax seat without cold draughts. Also we could have the windows cracked open a little bit more (50mm or so)

How do YOU remove condensation? we use a micro fibre cloth but tbh it tends to splash more water around than it removes haha. I’m wondering about one of those portable glass vacuum cleaners?

It was cold enough that when I tried to open the kitchen window it was frozen solid, the condensation on the glass was ice too.

I have tried leaving the heating on but either too noisy or starts to run batteries down a bit quick. I wonder if the heating would be best left on minimum to keep chill out but stop cycling on and off all night?

When opening the cupboards under the sink/cooker ……. Crikey, cold air came out!

None of this is a real issue, 1st world problems I s’pose. I just I’d start the thread topic as it’s getting colder out now.

Of course…….just realised the answer is probably NOT to camping in the winter……. but we can’t help ourselves! :D
I’m from Sweden and spend almost as much time in the California during winter season as in summer. We’ve done several 5-10day skiing trips in the Scandinavian mountains with “Folke” loaded with gear. The first trip we did it was below -20 degrees cels. and we had an amazing time. Cold yes, but not in the van. Day one when we arrived we thought we’d freeze to death so we pulled up the heater to 11 and went down to a restaurant to have dinner. A few hours later when we got back we discovered we had turned the van into sauna!

So, here is my 2 cents from camping out during snowstorms in way below zero.

- Always use the heater, you don’t have to go full steam ahead 4-6 that should do the trick in most conditions. The bonus is that the heater dries your wet clothes and boots quickly(this can create a lot of moisture). Btw the batteries have managed 50+h in the winter so two days off grid is not an issue.
- Good airflow in the van, day and night, a must regardless of temp. Don’t fall for the “it’s freaking cold out there let’s close the windows…” be brave, hang in there and put some clothes on.
- External poptop insulation that have a water repellent outside layer. When it snows it builds up and creates an isolating effect, good right? No, the canvas will get soaking wet as the warm cosy atmosphere coming from inside the van will melt the snow and, ad a nice layer of ice too. Do your best to stay out that situation. Hacking your way with an ice pick on the canvas is a big non-no!!
- in winter we use down sleeping bags (heavy duty stuff) there are two reasons for that a) Safety! If sh*t hits the fan(literally speaking) you have an extra layer you can put on over your clothes while waiting for help and b) we can zip them together into one big bag. 2 people in the same sleeping bag helps to keep you warm and you get space by the feets to dry socks and undergarments (yeah that’s what we mountaineers do)
- Get the bbq out and make your meals outside! At least make lunch outside. Reason is, apart from the fact that it’s nice and tastes so much better, it helps preventing unnecessary condensation.
- Get proper clothes, don’t underestimate the comfort of outdoor clothes. Wool base and mid layers, good primaloft or down outer layers topped by a waterproof shell. Yes it’s expensive but can you afford a cool campervan you should enjoy it all year around.

This was definitely more than “2 cents”

Hope it helps and good luck with your winter adventures!!

Myself, I have to wait until new year then we’re heading to Alesund, Norway, and one of the most beautiful places on earth for skiing and chilling.

Changed the heater to a Lavaner and an Afterburner controller from Ray in Australia, then a 100% silent diesel pump. Near enough silent combo now so just warm air to the kitchen and the two outlets at the front keep the whole van super snug. Ideally there would be a heater in the WC as that can get chilly with the door closed, but if you leave it open the rear kitchen heater outlet does warm that room up.

We love winter trips, but it’s the rain that kills it for us - and being in Wales we do get the odd shower! Do not find being cold ever a problem really it is going for a walk and getting a soaking, repeatedly. We really could do with more sites with drying rooms, etc.

Mop up condensation with blue roll whilst camping. We then put a dehumidifier in the van at home for a couple of days or until most of the water is eliminated (you'll not get rid of absolutely all of it until the warm, dry weather arrives next year).

Wear a beanie in bed - makes a massive difference to body heat loss. And use a hotwater bottle!

I’ve just purchased a Karcher window vacuum that does a great job cleaning windows (both house and van) but also is amazing sucking up the condensation after a night in the van. Very happy as i found using a towel in the morning always had runners alongside where i was trying to wipe and never quite got all of it.

Not tried it yet, but probably an idea to leave one window - like drivers door - without a cover / insulation, to encourage condensation on one cold surface?? :rolleyes:

Interesting issues with condensation. We have the Heko wind deflectors on and crack the driver window open an inch at night. Never had any condensation issues (except when we forget to do the above!). Sometimes we have the VW blinds on, sometimes our black external ones, result same.

Interesting issues with condensation. We have the Heko wind deflectors on and crack the driver window open an inch at night. Never had any condensation issues (except when we forget to do the above!). Sometimes we have the VW blinds on, sometimes our black external ones, result same.
It’s weird! We usually have both the front windows open an inch or so on both sides and we always open the kitchen window and slide door when using the hob (harder to do in the rain). No real rhyme or reason!?

It’s weird! We usually have both the front windows open an inch or so on both sides and we always open the kitchen window and slide door when using the hob (harder to do in the rain). No real rhyme or reason!?
Some of us just more Prince Andrew than others? :D

We take the rechargeable Karcher window vax as we’ve tried tonnes of different things but condensation is inevitable. With the Karcher it removes the moisture and you empty it outside to reduce to overall water in the van and it cleans the windows of the water without it ending up on the covers or dashboard.

I don't understand the reluctance to out the heater on. Top winter tip for me is PUT THE SODDING HEATER ON!!!
Just got back from 5 nights in Scotland, and would concur that using the night heater is a no-brainer. We put it on for a couple of hours before bedtime and that was enough to get through the night, apart from one particularly cold night (-3) when I turned it back on for an hour in the early hours.

Last edited:
We have just had a couple of days in the van with night temps down to freezing point. We have a Polar Technologies pop top cover and windscreen cover, these worked well but still a few concerns (in no particular order). This led me to thinking what experience/ advice to others have?

With nice thick duvet we were plenty warm during the night without heating on but cold nose n ears.

In the morning there was a fair amount of condensation on the plastic section of the roof above us. Also condensation alone the bed frame sides and the roof section of the hinge end. Anyone else get this? How do you deal with it?

The windscreen cover stopped all condensation and made it more comfortable to sit in the pax seat without cold draughts. Also we could have the windows cracked open a little bit more (50mm or so)

How do YOU remove condensation? we use a micro fibre cloth but tbh it tends to splash more water around than it removes haha. I’m wondering about one of those portable glass vacuum cleaners?

It was cold enough that when I tried to open the kitchen window it was frozen solid, the condensation on the glass was ice too.

I have tried leaving the heating on but either too noisy or starts to run batteries down a bit quick. I wonder if the heating would be best left on minimum to keep chill out but stop cycling on and off all night?

When opening the cupboards under the sink/cooker ……. Crikey, cold air came out!

None of this is a real issue, 1st world problems I s’pose. I just I’d start the thread topic as it’s getting colder out now.

Of course…….just realised the answer is probably NOT to camping in the winter……. but we can’t help ourselves! :D
Two dogs help with the heating but ventilation essential to avoid methane poisoning

The diesel heater is great for drying your hiking boots overnight if they got full of packed snow around your ankles during the day, which melted and made the insides wet. Prop the boots against the end of the bed at the right angle and the warm air is blown into them. Dont put them too close though, you dont want them getting too hot!

The diesel heater is great for drying your hiking boots overnight if they got full of packed snow around your ankles during the day, which melted and made the insides wet. Prop the boots against the end of the bed at the right angle and the warm air is blown into them. Dont put them too close though, you dont want them getting too hot!
Good idea, but may I suggest wearing gaiters to stop the snow getting down the tops of your boots in the first place?

Condensation means you are venting too little, we use air vents in one side window when roof is up and heater on 24/7, otherwise your food and water will freeze and you dont want that.
On our Beach with one leisure battery the heater can run for two days, fridge usually more than cool without beeing on so only heater and smartphones require energy. We have two solarpanels on the roof but they usually dont give us anything because they are covered in snow, bought a foldable panel for this winter.
We have added stronger suspenders for the roof, it wont hold much snow otherwise.
i-8DZTJxk-XL.jpg

For me the correct sleeping bag for the season is the most important. A good 4/5 season bag makes life nice and toasty. My suggestion would be something like the Alpkit Skyehigh 900. Warm down to -11c. It means having the right sleeping bag for the season. One bag will obviously not be suitable for all temperatures. I have 3 different bags for various seasons/conditions.

On the ventilation front, worth noting the key to controlling condensation is to get rid of excess humidity. Very cold winter air, even when it's raining, once warmed up to 20 degrees in the van will have a pretty low relative humidity and plenty of capacity to take away moisture. Just make sure there's a steady, but small, trickle of ventilation.

Now we've got our two sliding window covers sorted, we opened each a few cm and we went from streaming condensation to virtually none at all!

Wind deflectors for the front windows so you can leave one or both open a cm or so. Leave the heater On constantly, even when leaving the van, and adjust to a comfortable temperature .

I made one for peanuts with a sheet of perspex and some good quality suction cups. Works perfectly. An even cheaper version can be made with a square of tarp material and the same suction cups - doesn't actually seem to flap that much and as long as you don't mind losing the light/view through the opening side of the sliding window, it works just fine.

Back