Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Don't think it matters where the repair takes place, they arange the pickup of your van on the back of a truck. So as long as it gets fixed shouldn't really matter

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I had my Cali inspected and the garage said accepted for repair prior to it being 6 years old.

Due to the likely long wait for repair, I have asked the garage a few times now for email or document confirmation of the acceptance etc, as I do not want months to pass and then find there may be a problem.

So far received nothing !

What details did others receive ?

I asked for and received a letter of confirmation after a couple of weeks wait.
If you know which workshop your Cali is going too give them a ring, ours is booked in at Shorrade and they are very helpful on the phone and will be able to confirm it is on the list, you can also ask how long the queue is!

Took our July 2013 SE into Carrs of Exeter last month with bubbling on the edge of the pop up roof. They took photos and sent them to VW. Carrs called this week, our van will spend a week during May, in the body shop at Carrs being sorted. The bubbling is under the rubber seal, if it wasn't for this forum I would not have noticed the problem until it got much worse. I just hope that this will be it done for good and I don't have to return in the future with problems on the front panel or a reoccurrence on the pop up roof.

Took our July 2013 SE into Carrs of Exeter last month with bubbling on the edge of the pop up roof. They took photos and sent them to VW. Carrs called this week, our van will spend a week during May, in the body shop at Carrs being sorted. The bubbling is under the rubber seal, if it wasn't for this forum I would not have noticed the problem until it got much worse. I just hope that this will be it done for good and I don't have to return in the future with problems on the front panel or a reoccurrence on the pop up roof.

Don't let Sowton body repairs touch it !

Don't let Sowton body repairs touch it !

This is what they tell me:

" I can confirm your vehicle is booked at our Bodyshop On Sowton ind. Est. Our body shop is VW approved and are going to carry out the repairs"

This is what they tell me:

" I can confirm your vehicle is booked at our Bodyshop On Sowton ind. Est. Our body shop is VW approved and are going to carry out the repairs"

Hopefully they have resolved their problems as I had an awful experience with them a few months ago.

Hopefully they have resolved their problems as I had an awful experience with them a few months ago.
What was the problems Martin? Forewarned is Forearmed. I have informed them I would like to call in during the week they are working on it. i will interested to see what they will be doing to the roof and how they are looking after the rest of the van.

Well I was so happy to see the Cali back this afternoon. It was like having my leg sewn back on! ;-)

Not sure I'm 100% happy yet. Need to look in more detail on the weekend. I have a bubble of paint by the roof rail and the edge seal doesn't seem to sit right. I was also under the impression that the roof was replaced? Mine has been painted... will read back through the posts later.

Well I was so happy to see the Cali back this afternoon. It was like having my leg sewn back on! ;-)

Not sure I'm 100% happy yet. Need to look in more detail on the weekend. I have a bubble of paint by the roof rail and the edge seal doesn't seem to sit right. I was also under the impression that the roof was replaced? Mine has been painted... will read back through the posts later.

What vehicle do you have?

2009 Cali SE. One thing I have just noticed is the roof canvas is completely different material. It has a 'T6' label on it. A LOT thicker and more nylon than cotton. The hydraulic pump is also sooo much quieter, not sure if this is new or it wasn't installed properly before?

Roof is not replaced unless VW say to replace it.

Hi Martin, also have my 2014 Cali SE booked in to Sowton Body Repairs in Exeter through Carrs. I've put the repair to the raising roof off until October as we want full use of it all summer. I was assured by Carrs Exeter their bodyshop was up to the job - intrigued to know what problems you had.

Hi Martin, also have my 2014 Cali SE booked in to Sowton Body Repairs in Exeter through Carrs. I've put the repair to the raising roof off until October as we want full use of it all summer. I was assured by Carrs Exeter their bodyshop was up to the job - intrigued to know what problems you had.

Sent you a PM

How old is your van? Once its 6 years old you can kiss goodbye to any further support from VW (my understanding)
I'm in the same boat as mine is 2009 and had the roof repair done last autumn.
So while it's now over 6 years old I was under the impression that the work came with a 2 year guarantee?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I'm in the same boat as mine is 2009 and had the roof repair done last autumn.
So while it's now over 6 years old I was under the impression that the work came with a 2 year guarantee?

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Yes I believe there is a 2 year 'workmanship' guarantee but it is provided by the bodyshop, not VW.

Yes I believe there is a 2 year 'workmanship' guarantee but it is provided by the bodyshop, not VW.

If the bodyshop have done the repair to the VW specification then VW pay to have it done again because the VW spec isn't in some circumstances solving the problem.

How long are people waiting for a repair? My 2012 Cali was referred for a warranty repair for corrosion on the front roof panel by SMG in May 2015. I got a letter from AB Crush bodyshop in March 2016 confirming I was on their list with an ETA of "next year". I phoned them the other day and was told it would be "middle to end of next year" i.e. mid to late 2017 or 2 - 2.5 years from reporting the problem. I just spoke to VW Post Sales (what a waste of time that was) and was told that a van was allocated to a bodyshop based on proximity "so I wouldn't have to travel so far" and then it was down to the bodyshop so there was nothing they could do. I asked if all bodyshops processed cars at the same speed and that wasn't answered. I also mentioned that I didn't care where the bodyshop was - they could ship it back to Germany for all I care! Is this the general experience - 2+ years?
Cheers,
--Nick

On their timescale given to me, mine was going to be due in for repair Oct 17. It's just been done. I waited just over a year.

Back