Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
The latest in the German forums is that they are now capping the spoiler with some sort of plastic rather than replacing it. As it forms part of the integral structure of the vehicle they do not want to disturb it (In a other words the cost is getting out of control).
To achieve consistent quality the work is carried out by a team in Hannover that has been recruited from the original crew that fit out the California. Every van is shipped to Hannover. They are geared up to handle 100 per week.

It defiantly forms part of the structure and is partially under the rest of the roof reinforcement frame. Hence the complex job to replace it. Originally Germany had the same replace spoiler process. Capping the spoiler sounds like just hiding the problem to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes has been reported but only a week ago. Reported via my local van dealer (Breeze) who immediately got in touch with Heritage (repairer). Heritage are refusing to warranty it so it has now been passed to VWCS. Not got a case number yet.

That's what has happened with my second bout of raising roof rot, the repairing bodyshop are saying the repair process issued to them by VW is not solving the problem therefore they will not do it again at their expense.
VW now want to re-inspect my vehicle so it can go to one of the "famous four" to be repaired again, the front section of the roof has also got blisters now!!
Happy days:(

That's what has happened with my second bout of raising roof rot, the repairing bodyshop are saying the repair process issued to them by VW is not solving the problem therefore they will not do it again at their expense.
VW now want to re-inspect my vehicle so it can go to one of the "famous four" to be repaired again, the front section of the roof has also got blisters now!!
Happy days:(
They can inspect mine at the same time if they like. If parts of the repair process are not working then a long term solution needs to be found. This re repair isn't helping anyone in the chain. Would love to know if anything changed material specification wise for late T5.1s and the T6.

I noticed a few bubbles on the front panel on our 2010 Cali (I had to climb on a ladder to see it) and went to the main VW office in Slovenia. They told me to bring the car for inspection. I did it in the beginning of January and they told me they would call. I was told they always change the complete roof, no questions asked where the corrosion is. Nothing happened for a month, so I gave them a call. They explained that VW Germany changed the procedure what and how to repair the roof and they are waiting for the instructions. Has anybody heard anything about it? And do you get a document that you are on a list? I am afraid they are just buying time before my warranty expires in September.

I noticed a few bubbles on the front panel on our 2010 Cali (I had to climb on a ladder to see it) and went to the main VW office in Slovenia. They told me to bring the car for inspection. I did it in the beginning of January and they told me they would call. I was told they always change the complete roof, no questions asked where the corrosion is. Nothing happened for a month, so I gave them a call. They explained that VW Germany changed the procedure what and how to repair the roof and they are waiting for the instructions. Has anybody heard anything about it? And do you get a document that you are on a list? I am afraid they are just buying time before my warranty expires in September.

Have you checked for bubbling under the rubber seal
on the raising section of the roof, so that both parts can be inspected at the same time.

They said I don't need to as they change the complete roof anyway. The seal doesn't go off easily and we have cool weather so, I wouldn't risk to tear the rubber. They took the van to their garage, checked everything and took the photos. I asked them to repair till April as we then start using it and they said no problem. There are not many Calis in Slovenia, so they don't have much work work them.
Does anybody know anything about the new way of repairing the roof they are starting lately?

My 2010 California is now going into it's 6th week at Benfield's Newcastle for the roof repair.I was contacted by Kevin who informed me that due to the state of the main roof they recommend it should be replaced along with the front roof section and new bellows. VW want them to do the preparatory work and send them micron reading of the damage to the roof. I was also informed by Kevin that originally VW wanted the front panels repaired rather than replaced and all the California's that had the panels repaired failed after the repair
Now going into it's seventh week for the roof repair. VW have agreed to a new main roof but they are on back order. Concerned that the batteries will go flat due to the repair time and the garage has agreed to give it a them a regular charge. Thankfully had the insight to leave the cable in the van.

Why so long surley if it was a parts issue they should have not taken it in until they have the parts
To be fair to Benfield's, they didn't do the original survey, that was done by a local VW garage to save taking the van down to Newcastle. It was when, they were doing the roof repair that they identified bad corrosion on the main roof. They sent a report to VW but before they would consider replacing the roof VW wanted them to do the preparation work and send micron reading of the damage.

Not the best photo, taken through a window, but these light marks are spreading oner the roof. Started at the front , now going down the edges of the roof profiles. This is not a trick of the light, but something is happening to the paint. It is not blistering, just some form of bloom.image.jpg

Looks like UV fading the paint which seems to happen with red coloured vehicles.
A trip to the dealer is needed.
Let us know what they say.

Not the best photo, taken through a window, but these light marks are spreading oner the roof. Started at the front , now going down the edges of the roof profiles. This is not a trick of the light, but something is happening to the paint. It is not blistering, just some form of bloom.View attachment 12387
If it just bloom then something like compound or t cut with a lot of elbow grease will bring it back. This happens to all paint but worse on red. The trick is to keep it polished and waxed which helps prevent the sunlight doing so much damage. If the paint is worn away for some reason, then a respray will be the only option.

I had a T4 Reimo van in red, where the roof faded terribly. T-cut then really good protection helped...but that was on a 16 year van with a GRP roof. I guess you don't want to be touching it with T cut given the ongoing corrosion problems. You don't want to give VW any get-out clauses.

They said I don't need to as they change the complete roof anyway. The seal doesn't go off easily and we have cool weather so, I wouldn't risk to tear the rubber. They took the van to their garage, checked everything and took the photos. I asked them to repair till April as we then start using it and they said no problem. There are not many Calis in Slovenia, so they don't have much work work them.
Does anybody know anything about the new way of repairing the roof they are starting lately?

Don't think they actualy change the whole roof but just the front part , the part not going up...
But i heard that VW can not suplly those number of front parts due to the many repairs needed....

We are awaiting call up for the VW Transformation from Benfields. However just had a phonecall from Lucas Paint and Body Centre.

To be fair to Benfield's, they didn't do the original survey, that was done by a local VW garage to save taking the van down to Newcastle. It was when, they were doing the roof repair that they identified bad corrosion on the main roof. They sent a report to VW but before they would consider replacing the roof VW wanted them to do the preparation work and send micron reading of the damage.
Any update to your California?

Looking at the replies to the elevating roof survey I am surprised how few repairs have tape between the roof and the seal. I would have thought it was a "no brainer" bearing in mind the cause. I wonder if there is an official VW method for this?

Also, the last 2 responses have both been carried out at Benfields. One has tape, the other not?

We have a date for pickup by the AA, in May. This year. We have opted not to have a replacement California in lieu of having the roof panels resprayed, etc. this year. Lookers can repair 4 Californias at a time, but only have 2 loan vehicles.

Very frustrated as after chasing for dates VW have claimed the pictures sent by the garage aren't good enough and asked for more. Ours has bubbling over the front panel in several areas and looks awful.

Now going into it's seventh week for the roof repair. VW have agreed to a new main roof but they are on back order. Concerned that the batteries will go flat due to the repair time and the garage has agreed to give it a them a regular charge. Thankfully had the insight to leave the cable in the van.

Having had issues myself which first started back in August 2013 regarding the front panel corrosion and now the roof, mine was eventually picked up by the AA and off to Newcastle this Feb. 3 weeks later, it was returned with a new front piece, and a nice ding in the nearside wing and some large scratched down the same side! It didn't even make it off the lorry! Off it went back to Newcastle, and 3 weeks later, returned with a newly painted near side, as in the whole of the near side. Upon inspection, we noticed another chip, this time on the rear drivers side. So it was signed for as so, Benfields were notified, and agreed they would sort the chip for me. Not sure it was there fault or the AA's. On close inspection, I noticed the the roof had new bellows fitted to a corroded roof ??? What is VW doing? I was told by Benfields Newcastle that it was not on the schedule to repair this. Any thoughts/ideas on this and what I can do would be appreciated IMG_5054.JPGIMG_5055.JPGIMG_5056.JPG

IMG_5058.JPG

Last edited:
Back