Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Thanks I would love that to be tha case as I've been in the que now for nearly 18 months and appear no further ?
From the thread there appears to be a wide variation in the wait time which I find strange as this process is supposed to be being controlled nationally ? At the rate they are moving my basic maths tells me that it will take another 7 years before mine comes to the front !!!

You'll be a good year to 18 months I'm afraid. Maybe a little sooner if you don't opt to have a loaned courtesy California

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I was told by Shorade that they had been told by Vw not to move people up the queue if they didn't want a loan Cali.

I was told by Shorade that they had been told by Vw not to move people up the queue if they didn't want a loan Cali.
Fair enough. I can only go on experience. Earlier this year I was offered my California to be done 7 weeks earlier if I didnt take the loaner. Maybe they have now changed the rules???

Last edited:
Just got my van back from AB Crush. Looks like a good job. I had both the front panel and roof done, and as expected they've fitted new bellows & new rubber seal round the edge of the roof. They also put in a paint touch up kit for the paint chips that I've got on my bonnet, which was nice.

On the subject of the loan cali, I was told in september that if I had the loan van, then my van would probably be done sometime next year, but if I didn't have the loan van, they could do my van towards the end of november.

Fair enough. I can only go on experience. Earlier this year I was offered my California to be done 7 weeks earlier if I didnt take the loaner. Maybe they have now changed the rules???

This was 12 months ago.

Thanks It would be interesteing to see who holds the record for how long they have been waiting for the repair ? It has never been mentioned to me about any option for not having the courtesy car ? Perhaps it's because I'm so far down the list ?? Anyway still waiting for the VWCV customer services manager to ring me as to why I've only moved from 75 to 73 on the list in 14 weeks since I last checked with them ( been waiting 18 months in total) The more you consider this whole issue the more unsatisfactory it all appears ! Good job I'm not thinking of selling it, this side of the next millennium !

Hi Folks. I had a nightmare repair in 2013 by my local VW dealer which resulted in the roof leaking. It was repaired again beautifully by AB Crush via VW UK which took some time but was done in 2014 and I have had no further issues. So hopefully all that is required is patience.
I would like to know if has anyone had to have the repair done twice for any reason.

In 2014 prior to the latest repair method, I had the front roof section dealt with by VW at a local spray shop. They simply rubbed it down and re sprayed. No issues since.

As I now have the main roof bubbling I am asking for both roof sections to be dealt with again using the latest method.

I had 2 resprays done under warranty but my dealer on the order of VWCS, and on it returning again, had the roof replaced properly this year.

In 2014 prior to the latest repair method, I had the front roof section dealt with by VW at a local spray shop. They simply rubbed it down and re sprayed. No issues since.

As I now have the main roof bubbling I am asking for both roof sections to be dealt with again using the latest method.

Are you having to pay for this or is VW paying?

John

Mine is due for repair around February, I've been told it makes no difference if you want the loaner or not as vw have provided 2 for when they are in for repair.

It must depend on your repair centre perhaps - we were 99 on the list at westbury but once I told them I didn't need the loaner we were in within the month.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Just been onto the VW customer care about when my roof corrosion problem would be done. Bearing in mind my vehicle is nearly 4 years old I have been told that i am no112 on the list to get done. Each repair takes 2 weeks so by my reckoning the work will be done in 4.5 years. Then the vehicle will be out of warranty and i will probably be dead....well done VW !

Just been onto the VW customer care about when my roof corrosion problem would be done. Bearing in mind my vehicle is nearly 4 years old I have been told that i am no112 on the list to get done. Each repair takes 2 weeks so by my reckoning the work will be done in 4.5 years. Then the vehicle will be out of warranty and i will probably be dead....well done VW !

The repair does not take two weeks ....maybe if you own a Cali with multiple roofs ...
But as most Cali's have one , it the job can be done in within a week at least , imo .

Thanks It would be interesteing to see who holds the record for how long they have been waiting for the repair ? It has never been mentioned to me about any option for not having the courtesy car ? Perhaps it's because I'm so far down the list ?? Anyway still waiting for the VWCV customer services manager to ring me as to why I've only moved from 75 to 73 on the list in 14 weeks since I last checked with them ( been waiting 18 months in total) The more you consider this whole issue the more unsatisfactory it all appears ! Good job I'm not thinking of selling it, this side of the next millennium !

The list seems to be a list of random numbers that they randomize each month. I have been waiting since june 2014, (18 months ) during that time my position in the list has moved backwards.

I also get different numbers from VW than the repair shop.

Good luck
Tanto

I feel for the owner's who van's have a the fault but are too old to get the free VW repair.
I have no idea what number on the list I am I know I am on the list and I know it will be fixed. I know if I sell the van I have a letter to pass on to the new owner that it will be repaired.

what good is done to keep phoning the body shop or VW, --- I am sure they are working as fast as they can would rather wait than get a rushed job.
Remember it is not that long ago we did not know if VW would fix the issue with the roof for us

Last edited:
Vw allocate 2 weeks for the job and that is how long it takes apparently.

Strange , i got no roof issues so far but when i asked my VW dealer in Holland about the problem and if yes they did the repair job .
Was told they can do sevral a week....could be they take two weeks max and count that way .
As long i can stay off that list i'll be burning a candle...

My California was uplifted on Thursday 14th by the AA, to go to Benfield, Newcastle for the roof repair. According to Kevin at Benfield the repair procedure has changed and they are taking 3-4 weeks to complete the repairs.

image.jpeg
Just found this on my van - 2015 MY - built week 22 2014

Where is this on the van? I can't quite work it out.

Back