Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
I was under the impression that my van should have the 'new' type front section from build, that's meant to stop roof corrosion. Its a definite bubble that was not there last time I cleaned up there. It seems the problem still exists even on 15 plate vans!

Snowy I've not looked at main section as it was something I was going to leave until nearer the end of warranty as it has over 2 years left.

Difficult to tell if is is corrosion or a paint defect. It does not look the same as other people have posted. I thought the metal back there was steel and only the curved bit at e front is aluminium. Anyone else know?

The alloy section stretches back about 2 foot I think either side of the front. If you look closely you can see it's all one piece - or looks that way at least. I may of course be totally wrong!

The alloy section stretches back about 2 foot I think either side of the front. If you look closely you can see it's all one piece - or look that way at least. I may of course be totally wrong!

Yes, the front section does go down each side a couple of foot at least.
It adds to the stiffness.

Our 2010 model suffers from both spoiler and roof corrosion. We are on the Dutch waiting list since late November 2014 and are now told the repairs will be made in February. So the waiting period here is 15 months. Maybe interesting for Dutch forum members, because there is no official information available.

We had the raising section of the roof repainted about this time last year (2015) due to the paint bubbling underneath the seal so I thought I would have a look and see what was happening.

Slide off 2 sections of the rubber seal, 1 each side, and this is what I found,

20160123_091747_zps80l6kagx.jpg

20160123_091848_zpsrtroi7nx.jpg

This is what it looked like in 2014,

IMG_7938_zps08cd3340.jpg

IMG_7939_zpsc14427e8.jpg

Oh dear, very disappointed looks like the "new" painting procedure doesn't work.

Snowy,

That's doesn't look too encouraging - hopefully the repair is within warranty and you can get it sorted again, but what a pain to sort it.

Mine goes in this weekend, I think, I live offshore so it's a real hassle.

Been in to the dealer the last few days for a few jobs and they have found corrosion on the elevating roof section. Deep joy!

Does that mean you have corrosion on both sections of the roof?

There are people saying this on the Caliboard as well, reporting corrosion on 2014 models, this is very sad information to hear

Hi Admin
Can you put a new poll at the top of the page for 2nd time bubblers?

Does that mean you have corrosion on both sections of the roof?
Defo the raising section - front awaiting VW reply as its a single bubble it may be and isolated defect, we'll see.

Hardly an update, but...having reported our 60 plate California, having roof defects some 2 years or so ago. Both front panel and raising roof defects, photos taken, report written by VW Trafford Park Manchester. Yesterday I noticed a paint bloom on the front roof panel and along the side of the indents on the raising roof. Phoned VW Trafford Park. We are 53rd on Benfields list. Plus could we bring the van in for inspection soon, on an other matter that could be rectified at the same time as the roof problem. Is this something else that has cropped up? Silver bellows will be a replacement for our original grey bellows.

Hi
I am looking for some advice on the roof corrosion issue.
I have a 2008 California and have had front panel corrosion repaired twice by VW at 2.5 years old and then 4.5 years. Early last year I noticed the corrosion not surprisingly had returned again but was reassured to hear there was a "proper" fix available. VW have however refused to repair the vehicle as it is now over 6 years old. Numerous phone calls and letters followed before I instructed a solicitor to act on our behalf. They have sent two letters to VW customer care but have not even had the courtesy of a reply. They have now approached VW HQ and have suggested small claims court as the next course of action.
Do any other members have similar experiences and have they been successful in small claims court?
It all seems a bit of a pointless exercise now that there are reports of secondary bubbling with the new fix.

It all seems a bit of a pointless exercise now that there are reports of secondary bubbling with the new fix.

Not at all!

Your course of action aims to establish whether VW will accept responsibility for the fault on your vehicle even though it is now more than 6 years old. The fact that VW's previous attempts at repair at 2.5 and 4.5 years old were ineffective, and possibly their current method of repair is also ineffective, does not change the fact that your vehicle had a design fault from new, one which VW acknowledged by twice undertaking a repair.

It seems to me that you should continue your action regardless of whether VW has devised the correct repair method or not yet.

Hi
I am looking for some advice on the roof corrosion issue.
I have a 2008 California and have had front panel corrosion repaired twice by VW at 2.5 years old and then 4.5 years. Early last year I noticed the corrosion not surprisingly had returned again but was reassured to hear there was a "proper" fix available. VW have however refused to repair the vehicle as it is now over 6 years old. Numerous phone calls and letters followed before I instructed a solicitor to act on our behalf. They have sent two letters to VW customer care but have not even had the courtesy of a reply. They have now approached VW HQ and have suggested small claims court as the next course of action.
Do any other members have similar experiences and have they been successful in small claims court?

Have you seen this thread?
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-2nd-time-survey.12855/

and this thread?
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-for-the-2nd-time.12680/

Just returned from VW Trafford Park. Called in for some extra photos of a problem that can be sorted when the roof is fixed. Check in with reception. Man comes out, asks is this the California with corrosion on the roof. 5 others lined up in the carpark. I ask what is he taking photos of? The roof problem he says. Where is your ladder I ask. Looks puzzled, climbs on front tyre and asks where is the corrosion. Under the rubber strips, across the front, down the centre of the lifting roof . But you need a ladder. He went off for a ladder. Took photos on his phone. I asked why more photos. He said the previous ones were not good enough, yes the ones they took 21 months or so ago. Not impressed. I could have got my telescopic ladder out, but...

Just returned from VW Trafford Park. Called in for some extra photos of a problem that can be sorted when the roof is fixed. Check in with reception. Man comes out, asks is this the California with corrosion on the roof. 5 others lined up in the carpark. I ask what is he taking photos of? The roof problem he says. Where is your ladder I ask. Looks puzzled, climbs on front tyre and asks where is the corrosion. Under the rubber strips, across the front, down the centre of the lifting roof . But you need a ladder. He went off for a ladder. Took photos on his phone. I asked why more photos. He said the previous ones were not good enough, yes the ones they took 21 months or so ago. Not impressed. I could have got my telescopic ladder out, but...

Does anyone know what the actual fix for this problem is here in the UK? I know from the German forums that they replace the complete frame and elevating roof if any corrosion is found.
I tried to find out from one of the approved repairers, but was told that they have a non disclosure agreement with VW and could not comment.
The VW Customer Service could not help either.

My 2010 California is now going into it's 6th week at Benfield's Newcastle for the roof repair.I was contacted by Kevin who informed me that due to the state of the main roof they recommend it should be replaced along with the front roof section and new bellows. VW want them to do the preparatory work and send them micron reading of the damage to the roof. I was also informed by Kevin that originally VW wanted the front panels repaired rather than replaced and all the California's that had the panels repaired failed after the repair

To try and explain the repair process its best to split the discussion into 2 sections: a) the front fixed spoiler and b) elevating popup roof.

Fixed section
This section of the roof consists of the spoiler that you can see and also extends back about a foot into the roof frame. Originally this section was being repaired/repainted in situ. There were many (probably all) cases of corrosion/oxidisation reoccurring on vehicles ‘repaired’ in this way. At some point in 2014 VW acknowledged for vehicles up to 6 years old that they had a bigger problem and put in place a new repair / replace procedure for this part. The ‘new’ procedure involved replacing the front section (I believe with one made from a different grade of aluminium). In order to replace this part the popup part of the roof and the strengthening frame around the roof opening also needs to be removed. When refitting the new front section an extra gasket is apparently installed between the front section and the existing roof. Only a select few bodyshops (initially four in the UK) were authorised to do this new replace/repair process.

Elevating roof section.
What many people noticed when checking their roofs is that there was also bubbling on the lower edge of the pop up part of the roof. Usually but not always hidden underneath the rubber seal that runs round the sides and rear. The ‘repair’ to this has been to rub down the affected area and repaint with a different primer + topcoat. The popup part of the roof is not replaced as a matter of course. This repair doesn’t have to be done by one of the four bodyshops doing the front section but as most people need repairs to both sections it makes sense to do it at the same time in the same place, as the pop up roof needs to be removed anyway. It gets even more confusing as the different bodyshops seem to be refitting the rubber seal in different ways. Some just push it back on (as it was originally) some are gluing it and some appear to use an extra tape on the edge.

All of the above is my personal understanding of what’s been happening. Based on reading this (and the other) threads and having my own Cali repaired. Both sections done but now on the popup the bubbling has returned after a year :(

Hope this answers some of the questions in the previous 2 posts. Rein02 's comment about the frame and elevating roof part being replaced in Germany is interesting, if true that is a different procedure to that routinely performed in the UK. Is the replacement popup part a different grade of aluminium I wonder?

Hello Owen_h and thank you for the comprehensive explanation. There is a lot of information out there.
The latest in the German forums is that they are now capping the spoiler with some sort of plastic rather than replacing it. As it forms part of the integral structure of the vehicle they do not want to disturb it (In a other words the cost is getting out of control).
To achieve consistent quality the work is carried out by a team in Hannover that has been recruited from the original crew that fit out the California. Every van is shipped to Hannover. They are geared up to handle 100 per week.

I am in the process of investigating what is being done to our vans here in the UK and align it with what is happening in Germany. I am just not comfortable handing it over not knowing.
I will inform the forum of progress.

Both sections done but now on the popup the bubbling has returned after a year :(

Have you reported this to VW yet, according to VWCS they have no knowledge of repairs failing. It is vital that you report the re- occurrence of the bubbling asap.

Have you reported this to VW yet, according to VWCS they have no knowledge of repairs failing. It is vital that you report the re- occurrence of the bubbling asap.
Yes has been reported but only a week ago. Reported via my local van dealer (Breeze) who immediately got in touch with Heritage (repairer). Heritage are refusing to warranty it so it has now been passed to VWCS. Not got a case number yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back