Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Àirigh network in Scotland

Sounds good, but a shame it's still a temporary move - hopefully they'll work well and be made permanent.

What a welcome step forward this is, is shows that the issue we have in this country with a lack of Aires is coming to the fore politically.
temporary measures can lead to permanent measures if the temporary measures work out, give benefit to locals and are not abused.

Scotland to have its own network of Àirighs (aires) for free or low cost for the benefit of motorhomes and campervans.

I think it is somewhat short of that. The council is changing planning permission to allow, temporarily, the landowner to create one. The is nothing in the article about a plan to actually physically create them apart from send landowners and communities information.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I think it is somewhat short of that. The council is changing planning permission to allow, temporarily, the landowner to create one. The is nothing in the article about a plan to actually physically create them apart from send landowners and communities information.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I should have ended my remark with a question mark?

I should have ended my remark with a question mark?

I won’t tell the punctuation police if you don’t

On a more serious note it is a start, but I feel that the council will either have to make the exception permanent or guarantee that any stopovers constructed during the temporary relaxation are allowed to stay when it finishes. Hopefully the latter is in the detail of the proposal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder at the councils approach - just relaxing planning requirements rather than investing in permanent locations is a band aid solution. Pass the onus onto others and feel smug!
As most farms and properties are using scepic tanks how will they manage waste disposal in these rural out of the way locations? Who will pay for the costs involved. Rather disappointing if the council does not invest in proper aires otherwise I think it will fail without funding. They say it brings in money so the council and government should invest and make it pleasureable for tourists.
( I don't know anyone making out of it. Morrisons at Inverness and Fort William maybe but little elsewhere).

Last edited:
I wonder at the councils approach just relaxing planning requirements rather than investing in permanent locations is a band aid solution. Pass the onus onto others and feel smug!
As most farms and properties are using scepic tanks how will they manage waste disposal in these rural out of the way locations? Who will pay for the costs involved. Rather disappointing if the council does not invest in proper aires otherwise I think it will fail without funding. They say it brings in money so the council and government should invest and make it pleasureable for tourists.
( I don't know anyone making out of it. Morrisons at Inverness and Fort William maybe but little elsewhere).

Landowners could provide basic facilities and ask a nominal £5 or so per night in an honesty box. I expect they could cover costs with a surplus for their time & trouble.

If it works councils would find it difficult to reverse.

I parked yesterday in a car park asking for a £1.50/hour or £3/whole day or £25/year voluntary contribution. The system works at this South Downs car park.

Landowners could provide basic facilities and ask a nominal £5 or so per night in an honesty box. I expect they could cover costs with a surplus for their time & trouble.

I parked yesterday in a car park asking for a £1.50/hour or £3/whole day or £25/year voluntary contribution. The system works at this South Downs car park.
Chemical toilet waste is difficult to dispose of and expensive. There would have to be investment in facilties and storage for all types of waste. I don't think £5 would be a starter.
Highland Council have been talking about this for over a year and now at this late stage bring this out. I just wish the political people were capable of doing rather than just passing the buck.

Last edited:
If campsites can charge upwards of £50 for an unserviced grass pitch per night, these places will no doubt try and charge £35/ night off peak + waste disposal + litter charge etc etc. I hope not, but this is the UK after all.

If campsites can charge upwards of £50 for an unserviced grass pitch per night, these places will no doubt try and charge £35/ night off peak + waste disposal + litter charge etc etc. I hope not, but this is the UK after all.
Or Scotland, as they like being different.