Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland in August

P

Pete Wilkins

VIP Member
Due to my wife only been able to take leave in the school holidays, we are thinking of doing Scotland in August, the plan is to go up the North West side coastal take in a few islands and make the way to top of Scotland, we may take a trip over to Hoy to see the wife's cousin and then make our way back to Devon from there.
I know we may have a midge problem but taking the coastal route hoping for more breeze to avoid them plus it looks the nicest route. Have a need to see the sea every day.
Any recommendations, must see locations, or problems that we might encounter as we have not booked any sites but want to tour as a free spirit.

Hi
Sounds like a nice trip. I would highly recommend you take some Avon Skin So Soft dry oil body spray to keep the little monkeys away (midges)!. :thumb

We're heading that way at the beginning of Aug too. We're going to see some of the Commonwealth games in Glasgow and then heading to Camusdarach campsite between Mallaig and Arisaig for 10 days...found it in the Cool Camping book and it looks fabulous!
We've bought a few bottles of the Avon spray too...hopefully it works :-/
Have a great trip, and we'll keep an eye out for you!

Buy a midge head net and a hat and head for the Corran Ferry across to the Ardnamurchan and Morvern Peninsulas. Camp in Kilhoan, visit Sanna beach and the lighthouse at Arnamurchan point,visit Mull as a foot passenger from Kilhoan. Arisaig, Plockton and Applecross via the Bealach na Ba are all worth a visit especially if the sun is shining. Remember also wild camping is permitted in Scotland enjoy

I just spent 3 weeks up there, helped enormously by these two pages:
http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/04/14/top-10-campsites-in-scotland/
http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/08/04/top-10-scottish-beach-campsites/
I think the blog owner is on this site too.

On reflection, Camusdarach was the best site, but I didn't 'get it' at first : You camp in a regular field, with no sea view, a short walk away from a stunning beach, whereas in some other locations, you camp right by the beach. It's the fact that the beach isn't scattered with caravans and motorhomes, plus the view of the islands, that makes it so special.

I collected my Beach in Northern Ireland last September and spent a couple of days on the Causeway Coast, although the midges did not seem as furious as those in Argyle they still managed to get in. I suspect the mesh on the window screens is not small enough.

If all else fails half a bottle of Islay Malt will sort things out one way or another :crazy
:upsidedown :upsidedown :upsidedown

Andy

Plenty of good spots already mentioned but I would advise that you take your time and explore a few areas rather than driving quickly through them all. The mesh size in the tent is indeed too big to stop the midges. You can either stick on or sow in some smaller mesh but the blighters will still get in when you open the door. We have tried most things but at the moment Smidge seems to be the best and you will find a lot of the locals use it. The midges won't be out if its sunny and or windy but beware of damp sheltered areas where you will be eaten alive. Thats the time to head for the the top of the hills - they don't like heights!

Yes, I'd agree with Ken - there's more than enough to see during a fortnight's (?) holiday. And unless you're particularly keen on driving holidays, it's probably best to slow down and be selective about where you go. Really depends on what you want to do/see.

With 11,800km of coastline and no part of Scotland more than 65km from the sea you've a pretty good chance of seeing the sea every day :D Good locations with beaches and beachside campsites include Arran, Mull/Ardnamurchan, Morar and Skye but do leave enough time to explore the far north west. This is the most spectacular and least populated corner and a definite 'must see'.

I've collated several Top 10 lists on my blog including campsites, scenic drives, islands, mountains etc etc which I hope you find useful http://wildaboutscotland.com/category/top-10-scotland/

Wow Thank you guys, that gives me some reading for tonight's night shift, Lets hope it is Hot with a nice breeze. Have a few bottles of the avon soft I am a fisherman so always on the van. Midges never seam to bite me blood to sweet for them ! but the wife gets eaten alive by them.
I feel lucky,
Keep the info coming please.
Pete

Here's one of our photos from Camusdarach beach...such a beautiful spot! The midges were a but ferocious, but seemed to like my mum and left me alone (used Avon plus Smidge!)
Definitely worth the drive

image.jpg image.jpg

Fab photos ! They're just missing a couple of Palm trees and they could easily pass for the Caribbean.

Yes, Camusdarach is beautiful ... I'm looking forward to going back up there in early Sept.

Use the Smidge app for midge updates. Not sure why but for most of Scotland the midges are pretty much absent at the moment. Switched my midge eater off after a week when it caught only a few dozen...... Normally full overnight!

Usual hazards spots in Glencoe area of course, but wouldn't be the real experience of Scotland without a close encounter.....

We have just got back, from a truly wonderful place, Scotland just blew me away. We drove the West Coast to the top and then zig zagged down the middle on the way back.
Midges were not to much of a problem but the wife did get eaten alive on one short hr it almost spoiled the holiday for her as she reacted to them I never had a bite on me.
What was the trap you were using?
I will write up and post some photo's up when have some time to work out how to

Try not to open the vents in the roof or use the supplied fly screens for the windows. It seems our midges are much smaller than German flies!

We used an insect relent that plugged into the 120v socket. Seemed to do the trick quite nicely.

Also seems that the midges are much worse on the West coast than East coast. No idea why