Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12 v in France

simplybikes

simplybikes

Hi folks....plan to travel to France at the end of the month. Since this is our first trip to France in the van I'm curious about the electrical hook up in camp sites. Just looking at booking a site and it gives a range of 3 ampages - 5v / 10v / 15v. What's the story with this, which should I book? Also should I carry a euro converter attachment just in case?
Any help appreciated.

I reckon that's a bad translation should read 5a 10a 15a (amps)
If SWMBO is using hair straighteners etc then I'd go for the 15a just to be sure.

Agree with Snowy, those should read amps.

Depends what you are planning to use .... my electric cooker is an essential at 800W as is my Hair dryer at 2kw so I never cook and dry hair at the same time :sad

As for adaptor, yes. It takes little space, probably will not need it, stuffed if you do and don't have one although a lot of sites will loan you one.

Always a good item to travel with is a polarity tester. Camp sites are not too particular, and if you test it and it is wrong you can try another socket on the post or box etc.

Always a good item to travel with is a polarity tester. Camp sites are not too particular, and if you test it and it is wrong you can try another socket on the post or box etc.

Do i need to bear this in mind if i am with my European Cali with European electric gear from home ( two pin hairdryer) at campsites in the UK.
Could there be issues for me while in the UK next two weeks?

Do i need to bear this in mind if i am with my European Cali with European electric gear from home ( two pin hairdryer) at campsites in the UK.

Very much doubt it HC. Just about everything nowadays is double insulated and comes with multi language instructions so shouldn't be a problem.
We have used our UK stuff all over the place so the reverse should be true.

The only difference between a European California and a UK California - besides the obvious ( you drive on the wrong side :D ) is the fact that you have a European mains socket and we have a 3 pin UK socket. The Mains 230v circuit is the same on both vehicles. If your domestic equipment is certified for use in Europe then the only difference for the UK is that you need a converter plug if using in a campsite 3 pin UK socket.:thumb

The only difference between a European California and a UK California - besides the obvious ( you drive on the wrong side :D ) is the fact that you have a European mains socket and we have a 3 pin UK socket. The Mains 230v circuit is the same on both vehicles. If your domestic equipment is certified for use in Europe then the only difference for the UK is that you need a converter plug if using in a campsite 3 pin UK socket.:thumb

So this polarity is not a problem if we put a hairdryer or shaver in at the campsite sanitairy block?

Thanks for that!

Very much doubt it HC. Just about everything nowadays is double insulated and comes with multi language instructions so shouldn't be a problem.
We have used our UK stuff all over the place so the reverse should be true.

Then why every once a while the Q about reverse polatity pops up here , people like me that have no clue on electrics i guess;)

Yes I'm a bit baffled about the polarity question also. Is it that the inverter in the van won't work correctly if the polarity in the hookup is reversed? Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere.

[EDIT]: Sorry just realised that's an INCREDIBLY stupid question as the inverter is for the leisure battery not the hookup power supply!! :headbang But still, what then is the issue with polarity??

Last edited:
Thanks much WG, it looks then like it is in effect a non-issue nowadays then. But I will treasure the little polarity tester that I got with my Club starter kit.

BTW I loved the first line of that web article: "A lot of misinformation is talked about Reverse Polarity...based on data that is no longer current." :Grin

Ok , read the article .
My general thought before was " reverse" polarity meant a hairdryer ( blower) become a vaccum cleaner .....reverse....:headbang

Stupid me!
Could be a language issue also:D
Learning every day .

On the continent the plugs do not have a fuse, ours does, therefore the polarity is important because the fuse needs to be in the line conductor. The neutral conductor is at earth potential due to the fact that the supply neutral is tapped to the centre of the supply transformer. However it is true that the double insulation system does offer protection due to the appliance not having any connection to earth as in a metal case etc.

My 2006 cali came with the european socket as standard i.e. factory fitted.

John

My 2006 cali came with the european socket as standard i.e. factory fitted.

John
I wonder if anyone else with a 2006 California , sold in the UK, has the same?

Yes, my 2008 came with a German style plug too. It takes a round plug with two pins with the Earth strips top and bottom. I think that all the earlier Calis came that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the continent the plugs do not have a fuse, ours does, therefore the polarity is important because the fuse needs to be in the line conductor. The neutral conductor is at earth potential due to the fact that the supply neutral is tapped to the centre of the supply transformer. However it is true that the double insulation system does offer protection due to the appliance not having any connection to earth as in a metal case etc.
European supplies have double pole protection, unlike UK where the Cct breaker is in the live only.

Back