Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What are these things for (electrics)

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
1. The short hook up (?) lead with euro 2 pin plug one end and camp mains hook up the other. When and how would this be used? Do I need it?
2. The socket on sidewall between cab seat and kitchen unit. A 2 pin euro socket with cover. Again..when does this get used? Is it posible to stick a 3 pin UK / 2 pin euro convertor plug here and use as another electric socket for stuff - only one mains plug is a pain possibly!
3. The towbar electric socket conversion plug attachment for detachble towbar (fitting the towbar is another whole question!)

Finally..camping with hook up in Europe...have a 25m mains lead for using in UK but is an adapter needed for camping site hook up in Europe
am sure all been asked b4..

seems stuff is diff on facelift T5b and the thread on electrics in tech has left me even more confused...

I use the short hook up lead for charging at home prior to going away - plug it into a standard wall socket via an adaptor.
Until now i've never used the euro socket on the B pillar - i think this is inverted ie it runs off the leisure battery but will power 240v albeit only upto about 150w. Others on here use it for charging phones, using laptops etc.
No idea on the towbar.
I'm unsure about the hookup lead abroad but think it's a standard fitting everywhere, you have to watch out for reverse polarity on some sites though. Not sure how you actually go about getting around this though!

Assuming I've understood what you have:

Some French camp sites still have domestic style euro plugs rather than the more robust and international three pin (round head) types so you need a converter from one to the other.

Inverter is as described above. I'd suggest a gang extension plugged into the three pin socket rather than using the inverter as long as you add up the total power you're using and make sure it's below the capacity of whatever you're drawing power from.

Is the tow power a 7 pin to 13 pin converter?

good oh
ignore invertor plug
use a plug bank with 240 socket
look at towbar connectors and see what fits what...I know our Puck had a diff connector end and we had it changed...
but why have i got a hook up lead with a 2 pin plug??? wont reach nearest mains point either

David. The little lead you mention is used for when you are in Europe some sites still have 2 pin mains hook ups.
What you do is plug your 25 metre hook up lead into your van then the end you would normally plug into a uk mains hook up
You plug into your adapter and then plug into the mains in Europe. I hope this makes sense it seems quite difficult to explain.

:oops:
makes sense now.pack it away safe till needed in June :D
thanks all...

David Eccles said:
:oops:
makes sense now.pack it away safe till needed in June :D
thanks all...
Like i say though, i use it at home to charge up via a 2 pin euro to 3 pin UK adapter so don't pack it away too well.
In theory you're supposed to give the batteries a full charge once a month.

I'll try that idea..saves unravelling 2mm hook up cable...just extension lead into connector and hook up...I have to charge puck battery up from time to time too so this will be easier :grin:

Re reverse polarity it means that on the site the negative and positive leads have been crossed. For the Europeans this isn't a problem because they have double action switches so that both negative and positive are disconnected.
Not so good for us as our switches only disconnect the positive so , with reverse polarity the appliance could still be live even though you have switched it off........ ( I THINK I've got that right! )
When we go to France we take this little thingy that plugs into a socket in the van and lights up if reverse polarity exists. We also take a short length of mains cable with a blue plug at each end, one of which is cross wired I.e. negative to positive and vice versa. We use this if negative polarity shows on the detector and it overcomes the problem.
I hope all that made sense.

25 m cable not 2mm :headwall tyrpin irrors
where can we get the polarity test thingy
and yep the towbar adapter is supplied cos its a euro socket on the bus...we changed the Puck connector to Uk standard last year DOH!
its nice being able to ask dumb questions and get proper answers...thanks!!!!

Back