Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v dashboard socket fuse location

bangorlad

bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I know fuses are a running issue but I seem to have exhausted my thread searches on this one...

I have a handy 12v socket on the top of the dashboard (with the flip lid) which has stopped working and have failed to locate the fuse. Checked the fuse locations under the passenger seat, below the pull out drinks holder and in the engine compartment near the battery but can't find any blown so am wondering if there is another bank somewhere. Even tried continuity checks from the centre contact to all fuses but no luck either.

The internal structure of this socket is weird and different from a cigarette lighter socket like in the pull out drinks holder; I suspect it's designed for a particular type of connector. The centre connector is extended to 2 lugs which come up the side in a U shape but with a gap to the rest of the (earthed) shell. So if I insert my usb cigarette holder adapter at the wrong angle it will short the 12v to ground which is what I assume has happened, a strange arrangement to say the least. Still got DasWelt warranty running but after reading other posts it seems like the dealer may well be just as in the dark as I am now..

As an aside the ability to close the front windows and fold the side mirrors for a period after switching off the ignition has stopped too so maybe that's on the same fuse?? Any help appreciated....:thumb

I know fuses are a running issue but I seem to have exhausted my thread searches on this one...

I have a handy 12v socket on the top of the dashboard (with the flip lid) which has stopped working and have failed to locate the fuse. Checked the fuse locations under the passenger seat, below the pull out drinks holder and in the engine compartment near the battery but can't find any blown so am wondering if there is another bank somewhere. Even tried continuity checks from the centre contact to all fuses but no luck either.

The internal structure of this socket is weird and different from a cigarette lighter socket like in the pull out drinks holder; I suspect it's designed for a particular type of connector. The centre connector is extended to 2 lugs which come up the side in a U shape but with a gap to the rest of the (earthed) shell. So if I insert my usb cigarette holder adapter at the wrong angle it will short the 12v to ground which is what I assume has happened, a strange arrangement to say the least. Still got DasWelt warranty running but after reading other posts it seems like the dealer may well be just as in the dark as I am now..

As an aside the ability to close the front windows and fold the side mirrors for a period after switching off the ignition has stopped too so maybe that's on the same fuse?? Any help appreciated....:thumb
What you describe with the 2 prongs could be a DIN or Hella socket.

Don't think so Loz. I've attempted to take a pic of the inside; hopefully you can see the live centre contact is continuous with 2 vertical lugs at top and bottom which go up inside the barrel. If the earth contacts on my usb adapter touch those it's gonna short and blow the fuse I assume. Presume the idea is for the earth contacts on the usb adapter to position themselves against the 2 inset contacts on the right and left but the adapter can be rotated at any angle which is the bit I don't understand. I find this set up odd but can live it but just need to know where the fuse is....:headbang DSCF4031.JPG DSCF4032.JPG

I had one of these fitted by SMG on our 1st van they ran it off the wiring form the other socket by the cup holder in the draw on the dash, the fuse on mine was under the passenger seat if I recall right a blue fuse

Last edited:

On mine that Dash top 12v socket is powered from the Leisure Batteries. The fuse was a 15 amp blue fuse under the passenger seat U.K. Spec.
Very difficult to see it was blown. Used a multimeter to test them. On identification and removal still difficult to see it was blown.

A posting on another VW forum suggested a separate 'flying' fuse under the passenger seat hidden by a plastic cover. So another look under seat revealed a 15A fuse in a separate solitary holder partially obscured by cables and that is the fuse (which was well blown).....:)

Still don't understand the socket design so I shall make sure the usb adapter is only inserted 'pointing forward' and make sure I have a good stock of spare 15A fuses on board.
DSCF4033.JPG
Incidentally the fuse for the remaining (cigarette lighter type) sockets is the blue one at the left end of the lower fuse assembly. Hopefully this may save someone some head scratching in future?

brilliant, I had a device plug fall to bits in mine and shorted it out. have a T6 beach 150 and that was the fuse that blew. the 15A one you have circled,fished out the bits,swapped the fuse and all's good. Cheers

And ta v.much from me also Bangorlad. 'Someone close to me' dropped an earring in that 12v socket and shorted it yesterday. I'd been tearing my hair out trying to find the fuse, before I found your thread with that picture.

Although on the plus side, I now know the condition of every other 15A fuse on the bloody van... :rolleyes:

Just to say a thank you to all contributors on this site; my 12v socket in the dash of my Ocean stopped working (the one under the little cover next to the gear-lever). With all the info on the forum I was quickly able to locate the fuse and replace it :) For info it's located in the fuse box behind the central bottle storage (bellow the cup holders); two vertical banks of fuses, it's the offside bank about half way down (blue15A)
Without all the info on this site, I am sure it would have much much longer than the five minute job that it was !
:thanks