electrical problem with 12v socket

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Seeking advise re the 12v socket in the front cup holder draw, it has stopped working so think the fuse has blown

anyone know which fuse it is as there is no list in the owners handbook - also nothing else seems to not be working - does anything else run off the 12v socket fuse?

:thanks

I had this on an earlier van the fuse should be underneath the flap under the ashtray :thumb
Not sure what else run's of the same fuse. Good luck :thumb

thanks found the fuses ok there but about 30 in there :shocked do not fancy pulling them all out

It should be a 15 amp fuse if that narrows it down a bit :thumb

normally there should be 2 sheets with fuse chart inside the fuse chamber

wish there was :D

Is it not printed on the back of the fuse panel cover

unlike all other cars i have had it is not in the hand book or on the fuse cover :headbang
could other members have a look on the cover on their cali would be like to know if my van is missing it

I have just checked and nothing on my cover and no fuse chart :headbang so it must be normal :headbang

In my 2007 model there are 2 charts with fuses there. The fuses in mine are located in the centran column, under the flipping box for the big bottle of water.
Perhaps VW improved it by not supplying the charts anymore in later models :mrgreen: .

What you can do, to check the fuses without removing each of them:
use a voltometer (multimeter) or a test probe bulb.
There should be 12 Volts on both ends of each fuse.
If there is no voltage on either end, this is not the lighter fuse, because lighter is powered even without ignition.
If voltage is present only on one end of a fuse this is most likely a blown one

Fuses have a tiny hole on each end, where you can touch the Positive end (or a needle) of the multimeter . Of course the Negative end must go to the car chassis. Yes you have to go through all fuses to identify the culprit one.

My French owner's manual says that they did not have the fuse chart at the time of going to press, so suggested asking VW concessionaire, which I did.
They happily printed me the 28-page document, from which I include the relevant (I hope!) pages here.

It looks like the Cigar-Lighter should be item 11 -SF11-
Blue - 15A - under left seat - middle of column ST4 on the second page.

I take NO responsibility for this information!!

p19_zps2206eb7a.jpg

p18_zps534eb3f1.jpg

Best of luck!

all fixed thanks to all for help

15 amp under pasanger seat the one by its self towards the front left hand site when looking towards the rear. You need small hands :crazy

VW uk tell me no fuse charts with the T5 and will not issue them so when your wippers go in a rain storm call out the RAC :censor

Last edited:
Oh, interesting, I thought the front 12V socket has a fuse in the central column, and under the LH seat the fuse is for the socket next to the sliding door.
When my socket next to the sliding door failed I replaced the fuse unter the LH seat, but the front socket, and the cupboard sockets were ok in the same time.
Apparently VW changed the installation in the FL version.
Thank you for sharing this.

all fixed thanks to all for help

15 amp under pasanger seat the one by its self towards the front left hand site when looking towards the rear. You need small hands :crazy

VW uk tell me no fuse charts with the T5 and will not issue them so when your wippers go in a rain storm call out the RAC :censor
Hi my 12v near the cup holder sliding door side in my T6 is live but the one in the pop top is dead and yet was fine on holiday a week ago? 20A socket in side of kitchenette also dead - any ideas ? Fuse issue maybe? And if so, should I also start hunting around under the passenger’s seat ?

Cheers

Tafff T

Hi my 12v near the cup holder sliding door side in my T6 is live but the one in the pop top is dead and yet was fine on holiday a week ago? 20A socket in side of kitchenette also dead - any ideas ? Fuse issue maybe? And if so, should I also start hunting around under the passenger’s seat ?

Cheers

Tafff T
Yes. Under Passenger Seat and it should be a 15 amp Fuse, possibly 2 as I think they are separately fused.

Have also always thought it is silly to state a power socket is rated at 20 Amps (as printed on the cover) when it is fused at 15 Amps!

Alan

Thanks for the info chaps...will give it a go and let you know how I get on. It’s still under warranty however, so may yet mean trip to the local Van Centre to sort

Ok so imagine how smug I was to find that a 15A fuse under the passenger seat had indeed blown a don replacing it, the 12V sockets behave once again. Thanks guys.

But now imagine my consternation at the fact that the 3 pin plug socket on the side of the kitchenette is dead when it worked fine on hook up only 48hrs ago?

I note that the display on the control console fails to show a plug symbol when connected to mains and have tested the mains socket in the house along with the fuse in the 3 pin hook up adapter and their all fine. So, do I have yet another fuse problem and is this likely to be lurking in the same place I wonder?

Cheers

Taff T 0EB48736-57B7-49A0-BCDA-0456387BD785.jpeg

Mains breaker in rear wardrobe or wire off in back of breaker, loose wire in plug?
Please refer to this;

quick question -- in what way is the 20A socket any different to the others then if it's sharing a 15A fuse with another socket? is the wiring thicker with less voltage drop perhaps?

Mains breaker in rear wardrobe or wire off in back of breaker, loose wire in plug?
View attachment 47712
Please refer to this;
View attachment 47711
Nope - not the circuit breakers as both showing green and checked the wiring at the same time as the fuse
quick question -- in what way is the 20A socket any different to the others then if it's sharing a 15A fuse with another socket? is the wiring thicker with less voltage drop perhaps?
thanks Loz but I’m new to all this - the breakers are showing green / off with the control unit showing a battery icon which as far as I can tell means that the battery charger is working fine. The hook up symbol in the control unit only shows when the circuit breaker is red or on - I’m confused but assume if all’s OK the default position is green? Sorry Taff T

Back