Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electrical problem with 12v socket

I think I’ve got it all backwards (always was a dunce with electrics). RCBO trip switches showing red means power supply and NOT RCBO is activated (I hope). Switched up to red and now mains and all 12v sockets all working again - happy days and many thanks again.

Taff T

Reactions: Loz
quick question -- in what way is the 20A socket any different to the others then if it's sharing a 15A fuse with another socket? is the wiring thicker with less voltage drop perhaps?
The 20a is the rating of the the socket not the circuit supplying it..

what a joke! Thanks for that explanation
Not really.
The Fuse Rating of a particular Fuse is the Continious Rating.
So a 15 amp Fuse can pass 15 amps continuously without blowing.
The same 15 amp Fuse can pass 16 amps and may not blow for 5 minutes.
It can also pass 20 amps but blow Immediately.
These timings are just examples.
So it makes perfect sense to have a 20 amp certified socket and a 15 amp Fuse that will blow immediately if the current flow is 20 amps or so. I would prefer the Fuse to blow than the socket melt or get damaged. Some 12 v devices have a not insignificant current surge when plugged in or switched On.

I think it is just unfortunate that they have chosen a manufacturer that prints the rating on the cover, its confusing.
In some markets they supply a din socket in that location at that has no markings on the cap.
D6DE92BA-6A5A-4AF9-8419-25CE2E86CEFF.jpeg

I think I’ve got it all backwards (always was a dunce with electrics). RCBO trip switches showing red means power supply and NOT RCBO is activated (I hope). Switched up to red and now mains and all 12v sockets all working again - happy days and many thanks again.

Taff T

You’re not alone. Like many, I’ve suffered the same confusion!

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I think it is just unfortunate that they have chosen a manufacturer that prints the rating on the cover, its confusing.
In some markets they supply a din socket in that location at that has no markings on the cap.
View attachment 47731
What exacerbates the confusion is that the other sockets have no rating printed on them leading a layman to believe that this particular socket is superior (or possibly inferior) to the others, but would be capable of supplying up to 20 amps for, perhaps, a low voltage 200 watt electric kettle.

Back