Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v electric capability

Ian-s

Ian-s

IanS
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone, hope keeping well.
I am considering some extra items for showering etc. Using the Cali 12v sockets. Does anyone know if there are any amp drawing issues with pumps etc IE fuse blowing etc. Cant find any info if there is any max amp flow through the socket?

The 12v sockets are fused at 15A although some of the wire gauge is marginal for constant use IMO. For a compressor fridge and SUP inflator we use, I added a dedicated socket in the seat base.

Hi Loz, thanks for the response.
I have ordered a camping shower kit that's runs a small heater element and a pump (not at the same time) (both via cigar lighter plugs) have started thinking more trouble than it's worth if starts blowing fuses etc.

I have ordered a camping shower kit that's runs a small heater element and a pump (not at the same time) (both via cigar lighter plugs) have started thinking more trouble than it's worth if starts blowing fuses etc.
You may recall @Amarillo s fun (and the forum's) at his attempts to use a 12v kettle. Could be interesting!

Hi, yes I did consider this but went for a rinse kit with heating element option.

The 12v sockets are fused at 15A although some of the wire gauge is marginal for constant use IMO. For a compressor fridge and SUP inflator we use, I added a dedicated socket in the seat base.
Hi again, thinking further about what you said, so was the point of the extra socket to avoid the wiring?, I presume this was wired straight from the leisure battery, was it a difficult job, has it worked OK, thanks for your help Ian.

Hi again, thinking further about what you said, so was the point of the extra socket to avoid the wiring?, I presume this was wired straight from the leisure battery, was it a difficult job, has it worked OK, thanks for your help Ian.
What is the wattage of the system?
That will give some indication of the amps needed and whether the normal wiring can cope, or even the Leisure Batteries.
eg; Current x Voltage = Watts

So 10amps x 12volts = 120 Watts.

Agree with above. Our 12v compressor once melted the inline fuse holder our T4; The socket had been retrofitted into the door, but the wire was very thin & the excess wire had been coiled up which didn't help!

What is the wattage of the system?
That will give some indication of the amps needed and whether the normal wiring can cope, or even the Leisure Batteries.
eg; Current x Voltage = Watts

So 10amps x 12volts = 120 Watts.
Ironically it is 10amps, Ian.

There is a distribution block on the positive terminal of the leisure battery, them there a very short tail to an in-line fuse holder and then onto the socket in the seat base, negative onto the chassis(seat base)
1590589800755.png

I have a shower head that works from 12v and I just put the end in a bowl of warm water (warmed with water from the kettle).

Anything with a 12v heating element is usually quite ineffective from my experience, but using warm water it can work well with just a 12v shower.

Back