Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v extension cable - how to get out of van and into awning?

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have made a 5 metre extension cable out of 6mm^2 cable. Links to leisure battery via hard wired Anderson connector.

Trying to work out best way of getting it out of van as gets crimped in sliding door. Don’t want to destroy either the cable or damage van! Pictures below may explain 4902BFEA-C176-4358-93EB-D44DB5715EF1.jpeg0BF79907-DD44-447E-A8BF-CB5FBDB82C91.jpegE1BB89C3-3A6B-4B80-932F-7EEC488F84D3.jpeg

That cable will not last very long if you continue to pass through and trap with the door. And being a solid connection to the battery will mean that you start some real damage if the conductors are exposed.

I think that you need too build in a proper waterproof connector, that you connect to when required. This will mean that you need to cut a suitable hole somewhere. And providing it is accessible and you properly treat for anti corrosion, will last the lifetime of your van.

Have a look at the engine firewall to find a suitable location.

Hi KP

There was a thread on here that (I think) Amarillo posted showing a route via the tool storage and out via the rubber boot on the tail gate to a connector mounted in the wind out awning case.

If you can’t find it let me know and I see if I can find it (may be in fridge thread) :thumb

The cable damage is not good, as mentioned above it has the potential for a safety issue not from the voltage but from electrical fire!

Keep safe

Here you go

Thanks for that.

Take two for this weekend at least

out of side window into small tent

Then immediately followed by hail storm :(

2D4084AE-581E-47A1-9A74-5EDBF0D2B2BB.jpegCFCF2E9E-010B-44A2-BEA0-EE4E89244EDD.jpeg

I have made a 5 metre extension cable out of 6mm^2 cable. Links to leisure battery via hard wired Anderson connector.

Trying to work out best way of getting it out of van as gets crimped in sliding door. Don’t want to destroy either the cable or damage van!

When you open the tailgate you will see a loom on the left hand side. You can run a fixed cable from the leisure battery, under the trim to this loom, then out through a small incision in the loom to the awning casing.

Not certain about this on the beach, but on the SE, in the floor beneath the passenger seat are some holes with rubber grommets in them. Would be easy to run a cable outside this way.

It would appear above the splash guard but easy to route to wherever you wanted once outside the van. A waterproof socket could then be fixed somewhere easy to get to. Are the 12v DC sockets used by the AA and RAC for their jump leads readily available?

Alan

Under the (for left hand driven cars) driver's seat (left seat) there is a rubber hose where cables go through.
You might try to look for that. I used that exit to get the cable through for the towbar.
If you manage to get a very good waterproof connector, you might pull it up and down with little effort and water intrusion.
Where are British leisure batteries placed? Under the passenger (left) seat?
If you look onder the seat left and right (put them in most front position), lift up the carpet if there is a cable going underneath it. It might show a rubber pad with or without cable going through to the outside.

Under the (for left hand driven cars) driver's seat (left seat) there is a rubber hose where cables go through.
You might try to look for that. I used that exit to get the cable through for the towbar.
If you manage to get a very good waterproof connector, you might pull it up and down with little effort and water intrusion.
Where are British leisure batteries placed? Under the passenger (left) seat?
If you look onder the seat left and right (put them in most front position), lift up the carpet if there is a cable going underneath it. It might show a rubber pad with or without cable going through to the outside.
I believe the Leisure Battery and electrics are under the same seat. Drivers seat LHD or Passenger Seat RHD.

When you open the tailgate you will see a loom on the left hand side. You can run a fixed cable from the leisure battery, under the trim to this loom, then out through a small incision in the loom to the awning casing.

Hi @Amarillo -- trouble with this is that then the cable starts becoming quite long -- and would need to start thinking about voltage drops again. The purpose of this is to relocate the fridge to an awning. I tried seeing if the supplied Dometic cable would go through door without pinching but it also gets pinched (that's quite a bit thinner than my 6mm^2 exension too).

This might be a different take and may be less efficient - how about a dedicated 12v battery that you take out to the awning with the fridge? Could be a small leisure or LiPo battery that could then be re-charged in the van during the day / when driving. The extra weight would be minimal, short wires with no mods to cali, and your vans batteries no longer have to power the fridge. Mobility scooter batteries are 22Ah, small and relatively cheap, would be easy to charge from hookup, probably last several days depending on fridge load / cycle times..

Last edited:
Hi @Amarillo -- trouble with this is that then the cable starts becoming quite long -- and would need to start thinking about voltage drops again. The purpose of this is to relocate the fridge to an awning. I tried seeing if the supplied Dometic cable would go through door without pinching but it also gets pinched (that's quite a bit thinner than my 6mm^2 exension too).
Surely the purpose of using 6mm cable is that voltage drop will not be an issue.

I bought 10 metres of 4mm cable, and have no concerns.

Surely the purpose of using 6mm cable is that voltage drop will not be an issue.

I bought 10 metres of 4mm cable, and have no concerns.

OK -- that's worth knowing that 10m of 4mm works fine - thanks.

Back