Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starting the engine from the leisure battery.

Interesting what you say about Leisure and Engine batteries. The VW battery replacements for both types of batteries are the Varta LA80 for Leisure use and Varta F21 for Starter. Both are AGM and both have the exact same Specifications according to Varta and the LA80 are described as Dual Use. Sold at differing prices and different Warranty periods.
Our experience was based on boat leisure batteries, so it seems things have changed. The comments are still valid about keeping the batteries exercised and fully charged is easier than trying to start a diesel with a flat battery.

Probably a better solution is a LiPo jump start battery. fairly inexpensive now, can be stored near the battery under the bonnet and has USB, torch and 12v outputs as well so useful for other things as well.
Of course you have to remember to keep it charged up but it negates the risk of damaging the leisure battery.
I agree. Carry a portable battery boost device.

I have a combined battery boost/tyre pump/torch unit. Only cost around £40 from Maplins before they closed. I carry it when we go away. It has been used to boost our engine battery plus a few others at the road side and/or at shows and at camp sites.

I agree. Carry a portable battery boost device.

I have a combined battery boost/tyre pump/torch unit. Only cost around £40 from Maplins before they closed. I carry it when we go away. It has been used to boost our engine battery plus a few others at the road side and/or at shows and at camp sites.
I prefer this approach. The portable batteries can also be easily charged from the leisure battery, if needed and their multifunctional nature makes them a useful accessory in a number of scenarios.

Back