Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 or 180?

A

AngusB

Hi,
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've searched & not found anything. I'm planning on buying an SE dsg but can't decide between 140 & 180. I guess the best thing to ask whether anyone with a 140 has ever felt they were underpowered?
Thanks in advance,
Angus.

Day to day id say the 140 will be fine but where the 180 comes into play is the way it performs up hill fully loaded with fuel, water, gas with 4 people and all their luggage etc and or when towing , the sheer amount of grunt it has is staggering for a vehicle of this size. Overtaking manoeuvres too are much more efficient thus carried out that bit more safely. I have a 180 but only because it was the right van at the right time at the right price, the old saying is you don't miss what you don't have so get the first one that ticks all YOUR boxes and not someone else's ;-)

If in doubt go for horsepower.

You can always use less grunt, but if you haven't got it when you want it then that's a problem.

I suppose the cost benefit equation is in there somewhere, it does cost more and does use more fuel but I'm very happy with my all-conditions average of around 35mpg and more than happy with having that power on tap, like this afternoon a very tricky join onto a busy French autoroute with really hazardous bright low sun.

If you can afford it, go for the 180, its ilke buying a 16GB iPhone or iPad, once you start to use it you will wish you purchased the 64GB version !

Driven the 140 for 2000 miles and never once thought I need more power, too busy smiling.

I've ordered a 140, maybe if i'd tried a 180 things I'd think different.

The 140 I test drove the other day seemed to have plenty of power. I'm planing to carry quite a lot of weight as well as tow a boat but it seemed like it would do the job.

Mark

The 180 is still way off "fast" but on the long Northern Spain roads from Santander to Galicia, the van definitely does a good job on the mountainous roads with long, long hills.

When you approach a "normal" motorhome/camper it always appears to be going backwards.

The Cali is so heavy that I think it needs the 180 engine - not to be the "fastest" but just to maintain speed on hills. You also get better brakes and the bi-turbo setup means there is almost not "flat" spot in power like you get with any single turbo engine.

The only downside is that it's tight in the engine bay - some jobs that are easy on the 140 take ages in the 180.

KernowLad said:
The 180 is still way off "fast" but on the long Northern Spain roads from Santander to Galicia, the van definitely does a good job on the mountainous roads with long, long hills.

The only downside is that it's tight in the engine bay - some jobs that are easy on the 140 take ages in the 180.

Goodness :eek:

Why don't you just let the butler pop it into the local dealers! :?

GrannyJen said:
KernowLad said:

Goodness :eek:

Why don't you just let the butler pop it into the local dealers! :?

He's a rubbish driver. I usually use the chauffeur ;-)

Having had a major headache with mine, taking it to the dealers rely isn't every convenient. It takes seven hours to replace an EGR valve (far less in a 140); they did mine twice!

I personally think the 180 is very underpowered so cannot comment on the 140

DMB9R said:

A 180 BHP camper van that capable of 120mph underpowered????? How come you'd say that? What do you consider to be adequate for this particular style of vehicle then?

DMB9R said:

What a strange comment!

It's a camper van for goodness sake, i've driven 5 speed 85hp conversions and loved every minute of it. The 140 i hired was great and a step up from the conversions but i think if you have the dosh get the best van you can, 140 or 180 it doesn't matter really, both perfectly adequate.

Underpowered for what purpose? What do plan to use it for? As above, crazy comment. It's a bloody camper!

I don't use it most days, but having the power is a comfort.

But as GrannyJen says, and having spent a month in Europe this year, the 180 was great in those tricky situations on a motorway, autoroute, strada or bahn where you need that extra acceleration to get out of a potentially tricky situation.

It may be the fact that i'm comparing it to my T5 2.5 174 which pulls a lot better than the Cali. The 2.0 has a lot less guts and feels like you have to push it a lot harder to get anywhere.

DMB9R said:
It may be the fact that i'm comparing it to my T5 2.5 174 which pulls a lot better than the Cali. The 2.0 has a lot less guts and feels like you have to push it a lot harder to get anywhere.

I would agree with that. I had a T30 2.5 Tiptronic T5 panel van on contract and it was great. The 180 matches it in performance. and is a lot quieter.

A

DMB9R said:

No it doesn't; almost matching torque curves, less bhp for the old engine.
It may be because your old van wasn't a Cali but the newer engine is more powerful and efficient. Sounds grim but it works fine (usually).

I done think a van needs more power.

DMB9R said:

Did I really read that?

I've just driven 300 miles home and had power to spare. No one was ever held up behind me.

You are comparing a camper with wardrobes, cooker sink, heavy seats etc.. of course this will feel heavier compared to a panel van :headbang

Kirk said:
You are comparing a camper with wardrobes, cooker sink, heavy seats :headbang

and not forgetting my make up bag .... with electronic* vanity mirror ! :eek:

* programmed to tell lies :oops:

i wonder if having a camper van means you should go for the lower option. it should be about taking it easy and not rushing around.
of course i am the worst example and find myself racing around and have to keep checking myself. so don't listen to me also i have a 180 4 motion automatic so don't know what the 140 drives like

I don't think it is a matter of rushing around, we went for the 180 for safety ( overtaking etc. )

Don't forget with a van full of camping equipment you need that extra power

Back