Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 or 180?

Always feels good to have more power but we have been very happy with just 140. Nothing wrong with the acceleration when overtaking and swoops along happily at 85 mph - havn't really tried going any faster. Would probably re-think if I intended to tow anything tho, especially up steep hills.

I have a 140 and am happy with it. It is most time used as a holiday vehicle for two grownups, two kids and two dogs and for track days with my motorcycle on a trailer. 100km/h is a speed at which I drive most of the time, it is also a top allowed speed for my trailer with a bike. If one considers it as a holiday van, there is no need for speed and power.

When we ordered our Cali it was a tough decision as I thought that the manual 140 drove really well, with the 140 and manual box working well together ,the 180 manual felt a little bit more fierce and perhaps a bit to Revvy if that makes any sense ? However we really wanted an auto and the 180 DSG IMO worked the best together ,smooth and plenty of power,the only down side is the hesitation when pulling away which you have to compensate for by using sport or waiting for a big enough gap ,at the end of the day they all drive pretty good and sell well when used so just choose the one that fits your driving style and budget.

I did smile after the comments unleashed by the underpowered comment.
Being an enthusiastic driver of a 180 4 motion manual i am reliably informed by my wife that more power will curdle the milk in the fridge.....
Having said that there have been many situations where more torque would have resulted in less stirring the pot between 2/3 gear.
The biggest influence to me when choosing the 180 were the uprated brakes. Given the weight of the vehicle is about 3 tonnes they have proved to be superb on many a mountain decent as well as application at high motorway speeds.

just a thought

I moved from a 3.0 Turbo BMW X5 to a 180 DSG Cali. I am very happy with the 180 DSG combination for both power and comsumption, averaging over 35 mpg on a run.

Personally if I was ordering now I would wait for the 230 tri turbo euro 7 compliant version :idea:

I'll get my coat ..... sorry :oops:

If you buy a California as your holiday vehicle then the 140 will be adequate. But for me, retired, it's for holidays, weekend trips long distance travel and is my daily driver, my wife has her MX5.
The 180 DSG is amazing. I don't have any hesitation on pulling away. In fact it is more fun that the RX8 I used to have and I can still take the Range Rovers and X5's on the Tumble, a local 2 lane up hill with a L bend half way.
It depends what you want, what you can afford and how you use it. The 180 does all I need. :hello :hello

Back