Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150 HP

Ive driven a 204 dsg to Spain and back and in normal driving you will not notice much difference - if you want to throw it round corners you will find the passengers in back get a bit queasy and the crockery doesnt last long - the 150 is a nicer drive in my view - plenty of go, not technically overstretched and pretty frugal - but it seems more people choose the higher output engine

150 for me - I think the higher output if you're 4 up, towing or using 4WD a lot...

Good afternoon,

1 1/2 years ago I got a demo model which was just on top of the price scale I could afford (barely).

This van came with a 150 HP which I had my reservations with. I thought that it wouldn't be sufficient for the 2,5 t of the Ocean.

But I was wrong, yes it is no race horse, but it is certainly good enough to "go with the flow". It is certainly better than I expected. Have I said that I have no experience with the 204 HP or the newer 199 HP engines.

Looking back would I go for the bigger engine - no (even not with 4 wheel drive). I believe it is a good engine not pushed too much to the technically limits.

I know there is more than high speed (e.g. overtaking, trailer) but I read a report that even in Germany there is a serious discussion going on for a - wait for it - Autobahn Speed Limit! According to the statistics that the majority of Germans would actually agree to it.

Regards,
Eberhard

The OP mentioned 180 not 204 so may be considering a T5 rather than a T6?

I have a 180 T5 (manual) but if buying a T5 again would be quite happy with a 150. As I recall, the torque difference between the two plants isn't that great.

One can never have too much BHP, that’s why I went for the 204. You don’t have to use it all, all of the time, but it’s there if you want to. Incidentally, my bike has 214.
More BHP, vicar? ;)

If the engine would be the same, I would have gone for the 180 hp instead of the 140 hp I have now. The rediculous price difference between the two made up my mind.
If the price would only have been a couple of € 100 and no biturbo, I would have taken the 180.
I have 340 torque, the 180 has 400.
Do I really need it? No, but when going to hills or mountains, I really miss that extra torque.
Even a very gentle slope of 6% on French motorways cause my van to slow down from 110 km/h to 90 or even 80 km/h. I don't need 180 hp, but I could definately use the more torque.

I have a 2018 T6 150 DSG 4 motion Ocean. No problems at all and the fuel economy is OK too. It depends on how you want to drive it really. A 150 engine would most probably be Euro 6 compliant and the 180 Euro 5. There is a difference on emissions etc so check them out. I believe there might also be some reliability issues with some of the 180 twin turbo engines, but others will know better than me.

The performance figures for the 150 are almost identical to the 180 without the potential maintenance problems of the 2nd turbo. So you get the best of both worlds.

I've had a 150 beach. And now a 204 ocean. I thought the 150 in the beach was great. I must admit to being a bit naughty on a certain motorway with my 204 ocean though and had it over 125mph and felt like I could have got more. That's nuts in a campervan. So who's had more than that?

Last edited:
My previous cali was a T5 180ps dsg 4motion SE whilst my present van is a T6 150 manual Beach. Yes the SE had plenty of get up and go but the difference between the two isn't as big as you would think. The main reason is probably the weight difference. The SE 4motion is quite heavy compared to the Beach. A Cali friend of mine also previously had a 180dsg SE but recently swopped to a 150dsg Ocean. He told me the he doesn't really notice that much difference either.

Would I prefer the 180? No not really. In some respects it's a more complicated lump and anyway unless you're a get away driver, the 150ps motor is more than adequate for almost anything you can throw its way. (If you are actually a get away driver then you've probably nicked the wrong wheels). Two days ago our 150 was towing my Brian James enclosed car trailer complete with heavy veteran car with no problems at all.

Nah, 180 for me. You always want more, greed is good, more is better...always Lol

The 180BHP is great.

When you get to the motorways above say, Barcelona & Monaco OR the Autostrada in Italy, the grunt of the 180BHP is satisfying.

The 180BHP is great.

When you get to the motorways above say, Barcelona & Monaco OR the Autostrada in Italy, the grunt of the 180BHP is satisfying.
Agreed in these circumstances but mostly it is not what you have got but how you use it. Well packed, no loose crockery and a bit of skilled driving, it is surprising what a 150 dsg can do due to the reasonably low centre of gravity for such a tall vehicle and the more than adequate torque, able to keep pace on most B roads with all but the most determined road warrior. Just don’t try a quick getaway from a junction on a slight gradient. Very embarrassing having a cool van spinning its wheels going nowhere

I drive a 102HP coast. I have been driving over the Alps in France and Switzerland for the last three weeks. This engine with the 5 speed manual gearbox is a pleasure to drive up the steep mountain passes. It has great pulling power and has never struggled on the steepest hills.

I must say, at traffic lights, I am almost always the first to get away. Soon passed by most cars that can't stand a van taking off that fast an driving in front of them.
And even than, I can keep in front of most small and medium cars with their pathetic 1.0 petrol or 1.6 diesel engines with 90/100 hp, although in hp/weight ratio they score better. I have only 50 - 55 hp per 1000 kg, but I have quite some torque, and that is my benefit.

My last holiday I was in Forcalquier (Provence), and there were some hills to take. I had a 1.4 mpi Dacia Logan behind me. He was eager to pass me, because I slowed down to take all the bends in the road up and down.
Suddenly he tried to pass me when going uphill again for a longer part and I slowly cranked up my speed. There was a car coming from the other direction, and that car almost couldn't pass me, so I didn't speed up that much anymore to let him pass. He looked at me as he would shoot me. Then he slowed down in front of me waving his arms in an rude way. He thought that I was slowing him down on purpose before. On another longer straight uphill I passed him again as he was driving just terribly slow. He could not catch up on me anymore untill I reached Forcalquier. I turned at the roundabout to go to the Intermarché. 5 seconds later he arrived at that same roundabout, going straight ahead, but he honked at me as to say: why did you slowed me down on that heavy curvy road, and when I passed you you passed me again going so fast?
As I said, he had a 1.4 mpi (without turbo, so my bike has more torque than his car), and he lacked enough torque to go uphill faster than me.

So is my engine enough? Yes, but sometimes I might need a little more torque to drive more comfortably in higher regions.

Is there much difference between a 150 and 180 HP DSG
You have already had many answers but I will throw in my experience as it may help. This is exactly the question we asked ourselves this time last year when we bought our Cali and we test drove both versions for quite some time. The 204 had noticeably more oomph than the 150 with better acceleration and performance uphill, as you would expect. As we live in a hilly area and the Cali is our main car for everyday as well as holidays, we chose the 204 and a year on we have said so many times that we are so glad we did. Had the Cali been a car we used for camping in only there would have been little justification in the additional cost

Just to add to the equation, we used to own an older T5 174hp 5 cylinder manual. Now have a 180 4motion DSG.
The DSG is great for cruising and effortless town and twisty road driving however nothing beat the stump pulling torque of the old 174 5 cylinder lump. It was quicker to motorway speeds than my 180hp Discovery 3. I believe they were even better after a mild remap to 205hp but always manual as the early DSG’s appear not as reliable.
Just my opinion! Might help, might not!

The 5 cylinder has more torque due to the 5th cylinder.
It is a shame they don't make the new engines with 5 cylinders. They could easily go up to 200 hp without the need to biturbo the engine.
It is a shame that even vans like this have to comply with the emission rules instead of getting rid of all those small diesel powered cars that really don't need diesel engines.
A diesel engine is made for the hard work. Tell me a small car that needs to do hard work? Hard work has nothing to do with high speeds at motorways.

Mine failed MoT at first visit, sooooooo.
Used a “forte” additive recommended by garage, then a 40 mile round trip to lower emissions.
This was accomplished in 3rd gear at 3500/4500 rpm, mpg 22mpg.
It passed emissions test 2nd time, now have a valid MoT.