Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150 DSG v 204

Very helpful thank you!
I do use a tipping trailer, but only to take garden waste to the dump ... but it is hardly frequent enough to warrant the higher horsepower. My 180 is certainly well capable of anything I have ever thrown at it. I suppose it would also be possible to have it chipped if ignite proved lacking.

I've driven both but decided to get the 150 DSG. For what you will do with it it's more than adequate, especially with Adaptive Cruise Control. Acceleration and overtaking is of course better with the 204, but if I floor the pedal of my 150 at a red light, I get so much wheelspin that I can't imagine the 204 being much faster. Overtaking on the highway is different, but the 150 never feels slow.

More important though, the 204 has a second turbo. There have been reliability issues (especially with the previous generation) with that engine before.

Thanks!
Is adaptive cruise useful? I have a BMW i3 and it is painful in use. I wish the i3 had simple cruise control it is so poor.

I use the Cali as my daily driver (that's why I sold my T3 Cali), I'll never buy a car without ACC anymore.

It's great, and pretty easy to use. The good thing is that you drive much more relaxed, and are less in a hurry. Basically when on the highway, you set your speed and won't need to touch your acceleration pedal anymore for the next few hours, except to overtake someone who drives slightly slower than you.

Thanks!
Is adaptive cruise useful? I have a BMW i3 and it is painful in use. I wish the i3 had simple cruise control it is so poor.

We love the ACC. Have driven nearly 50,000 miles in our 2017 Beach and use it all the time. We really missed it when it was knocked out of action for a drive from Swidnica, Poland, to the UK, and much more recently for about 9 miles along the A3(M) and A27.

We bought a new 2.5 130 in 2009. We were tempted to go for more power (174) when we originally bought her, but concluded that when we’re on holiday we’re never in a hurry, and she has no trouble keeping up with traffic. It was going to cost a lot more to buy a 174 and use more fuel. We use her as a daily driver and have been all over Europe. We have never fallen out of love with her in 10 years. 80000 miles and counting. Best vehicle we have ever owned...

Our 199 4 Motion DSG has now done 8500mls (mostly long runs) and is loosening up , the DSG box has definitely learnt my driving style and is now returning 34/5 MPG ( calculated on full tank to full tank ). on a return run from Wiltshire to Yorks it showed 41mpg (on the dash readout) due to having to drive slower on the "smart" motorways so the fuel consumption is very acceptable; our other vehicle, a 102 T4 Caravelle, does about 37MPG so engine power doesn't really effect consumption as much as right foot! Adblue seems to be needed topping up every 4500mls.

I've driven both but decided to get the 150 DSG. For what you will do with it it's more than adequate, especially with Adaptive Cruise Control. Acceleration and overtaking is of course better with the 204, but if I floor the pedal of my 150 at a red light, I get so much wheelspin that I can't imagine the 204 being much faster. Overtaking on the highway is different, but the 150 never feels slow.

More important though, the 204 has a second turbo. There have been reliability issues (especially with the previous generation) with that engine before.

A couple of comments. I agree on the wheelspin which is why imo you either buy the 150 2wd or the 199/204 4wd, the 150 4wd doesnt really exist in the UK to all intents although some manuals were made.

The comparison you are drawing between a 180 and 204 in reliability terms isnt a valid one as VWGuru confirmed the EGR cooler is now the same construction as a 150 and was the source of the 180 engine failures.. Its why I was happy to buy the 199.

I recently bought a used 204 DSG, but arranged a short test drive in a 150 just to check. No doubt in my mind that the 150 is more laboured and lacks the mid range overtaking acceleration in the 204. I'm very happy with my decision. Fuel consumption seems fine in low to mid 30s.
On the other point in the thread, my dealer performed the software emissions update while in for some warranty work last week. Too early to say if it will affect adblue consumption. I'm loving it too much to care at present.

I am thinking of buying a used 2017 California DSG 150 and wanted to ask if I would be better off waiting to get the 204 HP or if the 150 does a good job with a decent performance. Any advantages or disadvantages of either model ?
I would appreciate any input to help me decide
John E
Ours is the auto 180bhp . brilliant gutsey engine. Diesel,

Hi Had a 150 for 8 weeks, was impressed and more than adequate, however we now have the 204 which is great even fully loaded. If you like abit of speed , go for the bigger one for sure.

The thing is, the California is not the sort of vehicle that likes to be rushed... it likes to dictate the pace rather than you setting it.. for that reason the pre-reg 150 DSG we bought seems perfectly suited to the van. Would I have ticked the 204 DSG and 4Motion boxes had I specced the van myself... of course I would! :)

Back