Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's the 180 BiTDI engine reliable?

@marksid that is a result. I ended up paying £500 + vat for mine & vwcv paid the rest. Does not seem to be any ruling to how they work out how much vwcv will pay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I thought I'd give you all my EGR valve experience as it may be helpful to someone...

I have a 2013 Beach,180 BiTDi with 48k miles; the engine warning light (amber) came on followed by a short spell in limp mode, it also had a slight stutter/misfire when at low revs. I have the carista dongle/app and it suggested a 'EGR sensor A circuit high' fault.

I took it into the Lookers van centre in Newcastle and after a diagnostic and ECU removal (200+VAT) they agreed with me that it was an EGR problem, they kindly offered to replace it for 1200+VAT!

At this point I asked them to contact VWCS as I knew it was a common fault and I made reference to the VW bulletin mentioned earlier in this thread. 10 minutes later they rang back, VW had agreed to cover the cost of the EGR valve + 1/2 the labour, so cost to me would only 175+VAT.

Overall I was very happy with Lookers van centre, but if I hadn't questioned the original quote they would have happily taken the best part of 2 grand off me.

Had the same thing with our Golf (80K), the Engine Management Light came on the very next morning after they had done the emissions update...

Same deal really, we paid 10% to get the EGR replaced, I'm sure we could have got better should we have argued but I didn't have the time, they offered to pay 90% without us even asking.

Bump for a 2020 update, please?
Just seen a 60 plate (2010/11 I think) 180 BiTurbo advertised with 18,000 miles on the clock.
Is this an avoid, or at least unless the EGF has been replaced?

Just seen a 60 plate (2010/11 I think) 180 BiTurbo advertised with 18,000 miles on the clock.
I think this thread has more info for you.

Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk. Unless it was the only California available or it was priced very very competitively, at least £4K under what I could get a 140 for. Each to their own though.

Is there a specific reason you want a 2010 / 2011 180bhp or something specific about this van?

Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk. Unless it was the only California available or it was priced very very competitively, at least £4K under what I could get a 140 for. Each to their own though.

Is there a specific reason you want a 2010 / 2011 180bhp or something specific about this van?
Pure chance.
I followed a link in the weekly email and it was talking about issues with the 180.
I then searched more and found this thread, so I thought it best to double check.
The actual van I saw the details of is a Bilbo, and not the layout we are looking for, but the 180 engine made me feel the need to enquire further.

18k miles for a 2010 van is well below the average for this age now.

The best thing to do is go and have a look and open the bonnet and check if the EGR has been changed. If the part No. on the label has a suffix letter, then I would suggest you will not have an oil consumption issue in the future.

However, if the number does not have a suffix letter, then the EGR is original and come a higher mileage in a couple of year's time, you may well have to have the engine reconned or replaced. It may not happen of course, as some vans from 2010/11 have escaped this problem, but many have not.

On the basis of this, you could try to negotiate a £7-8k drop on the price to accommodate a replacement engine in the future.

Alan

Back