Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

180 engine problem with the T5.1

D

Dave Bell

Vehicle
Just browsing
Has anyone had problems with 180 engine in T5.1 2010-2011 model?

Thanks for that I was looking at one with 180 but advised to get one with a 140, have you any thoughts on that?
What is the Milage? Who is selling it, Private or Business?

It has 33000 on it by a private seller, I rang a business I know of and he told me about the engine described it as maybe Russian roulette

Have you bought it and have a problem, or just researching?

It has 33000 on it by a private seller, I rang a business I know of and he told me about the engine described it as maybe Russian roulette
Agree. Also it has probably been lying idle for 6 months each year so likely there are possibly a host of other problems. Walk away unless they are prepared to drop the price by £10,000.

Agree. Also it has probably been lying idle for 6 months each year so likely there are possibly a host of other problems. Walk away unless they are prepared to drop the price by £10,000.
Thanks for that info, it's a bit of a mine field to be honest trying to find the right van, learning more every day though cheers

Thanks for that info, it's a bit of a mine field to be honest trying to find the right van, learning more every day though cheers
I experienced the oil consumption problem with my 2011 Caravelle Edition 25 (180). Not pretty. Luckily didn’t affect the trade-in value against my new Ocean (from the same dealer) in 2017. No guarantee that would be the case now.

Just research I cant afford to get it wrong, so doing my best to find out all I can really
Any 180 carries some additional risk vs the 140. A 2010/11 180 seems to carry more risk than later ones, although the oil consumption (leading to engine death) is still cropping up on 2014s.
No one here knows what those risks are (in % terms), and there has been plenty of rigorous debate. Plenty don't show the problem.
All you can do is read the thread here and get a feel for the Facebook group on the topic, and make your own mind up.
Finding a van that's had a /D EGR cooler/valve fitted for a while is the best known 'insurance' against the issue, but no one will write you a watertight guarantee.

Go 140 I believe the later 180 had it sorted so if your budget only buys a 10/11 plate stick with the single turbo 140

Any 180 carries some additional risk vs the 140. A 2010/11 180 seems to carry more risk than later ones, although the oil consumption (leading to engine death) is still cropping up on 2014s.
No one here knows what those risks are (in % terms), and there has been plenty of rigorous debate. Plenty don't show the problem.
All you can do is read the thread here and get a feel for the Facebook group on the topic, and make your own mind up.
Finding a van that's had a /D EGR cooler/valve fitted for a while is the best known 'insurance' against the issue, but no one will write you a watertight guarantee.
Thank you for that

Go 140 I believe the later 180 had it sorted so if your budget only buys a 10/11 plate stick with the single turbo 140
Thanks a lot, aswell as learning things like this trying to suss what's a realistic price is another headache

I have owned a 180 and a 140 & 150 and never really felt the extra turbo and expense is really worth it ...it’s good but it’s a pony not a race horse ....get in arm rests down sit back and soak it up..I’m also lead to believe that if the egr valve ever goes on the 180 it’s buried deep in the engine bay so a big job,on the 140 it’s more accessible and easier cheaper to do!!!!

I have owned a 180 and a 140 & 150 and never really felt the extra turbo and expense is really worth it ...it’s good but it’s a pony not a race horse ....get in arm rests down sit back and soak it up..I’m also lead to believe that if the egr valve ever goes on the 180 it’s buried deep in the engine bay so a big job,on the 140 it’s more accessible and easier cheaper to do!!!!
Superb thank you that's great info

If I was buying again, and in the light of the issues I have had, I would not go near 2010/11 180ps unless the engine had been replaced.

Later 180 engines seem to be much more reliable. My new one certainly is.

Alan

The potential issue hasn’t reduced the value so in my opinion, you’re paying full price while taking a risk.
This is why I opted for the 140bhp.
Since found out, 180bhp mechanic bills are often higher than 140bhp.
All vehicles are a risk, just minimise your risk if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still happy enough with my 140 hp from 2010. Just had to replace my EGR valve after 42000 km but without other consequenses.
Still I feel I could do more with more torque without the need of extra hp, but the one doesn't come without the other, so I am just going to stay with it.

Back