199/204 TYRES.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
T6.1 199/204 Californias now come with 215/60/R17 tyres whereas they were fitted with 235/55/R17 previously.
You can get 235/55 on Caravelles as standard, but not on a California. The only option is to tick the All Weather with Optimised Rolling Resistance option box + £135 + VAT.
The 215/60's look like standard van tyres, probably last well, but with stiffer side walls l should think the ride quality will suffer. The All Weather tyres may not wear as well but with the extra width it well help protect those lovely but vulnerable "Woodstock" Diamond Turned alloys from getting curb rash.
What's your experience?

20201208_125127.jpg

20201208_125429.jpg

My dealer said the 235 option was dropped on the Cali for 'emission restrictions'. I have no idea what impact 215 vs 235 would have on emissions. Yes, its a cost option when all season tires are selected, which I gladly paid. With stiffer ARB's chosen and reading others experiences with 215's and stiffer less compliant ride, the 235 all seasons were a no brainer choice.

My dealer said the 235 option was dropped on the Cali for 'emission restrictions'. I have no idea what impact 215 vs 235 would have on emissions. Yes, its a cost option when all season tires are selected, which I gladly paid. With stiffer ARB's chosen and reading others experiences with 215's and stiffer less compliant ride, the 235 all seasons were a no brainer choice.
I was told that updated ABR's are now not available as a factory fit option. Are you having these as dealer fit?

I was told that updated ABR's are now not available as a factory fit option. Are you having these as dealer fit?
Maybe a UK ordered Cali. Mine is a LHD Euro spec Coast and I have quite a few more options available on that platform

We had 235 all weathers on our last T6 Ocean and they were great. We had a loan van with 215s on (17s) and really didn’t like it. Far too noisy and harsh. Was really surprised at the difference.

All weathers just make sense to me. They have the correct symbols on for going to Europe / germany if needed all year round etc Too.

Our 1st van had standard 235s our second had 215s much preferred the ride on 235 so fairly quickly replace them with 235s.

Due to the width I'd presume that there is a marginal improvement in the Emission level with 215 instead of 235 width fitment. It's all about trimming the figures down by Manufacturers these days. tyres are a cheap way to achieve it compared to engine modifications.

Also cuts out a production line option cost of stock/supply.
Oddly 235 tyres are usually cheaper than C rated tyres.

Due to the width I'd presume that there is a marginal improvement in the emission level with 215 instead of 235 width fitment. It's all about trimming the figures down by Manufacturers these days. tyres are a cheap way to achieve it compared to engine modifications.

Also cuts out a production line option cost of stock/supply.
Oddly 235 tyres are usually cheaper than C rated tyres.
Yes it seems it's all about the cheapest option that suits the manufacturer, disregarding what the customer would like, and was previously given. I can't see why if they can offer it on Caravelles they can't offer it on Californias.
I know it's the old winge, but we are paying a premium price for these vehicles, which is
continually increasing, but VW keep trimming the spec. 215/60 tyres, no fly screens, hard plastic door cards, no glove box storage etc and a £1000 bill to supply an emission compliant engine.
Love my California, not VW.

I feel the 215 /235 depends on how many miles you do and what Fuel consumption you are used to.
My first set of 235 Bridgestone er300 fronts lasted 8500miles, I'd driven 4500 of those so maybe heavier use by the first owner. Now on Vector 4 seasons gen 3 which seem to wear better for sure.
I expect 10k miles from fronts as a minimum based on cars in the past even driven briskly so 215's are considered as C rated so better wear I read.
Positives are Better MPG, I read about 10% based on what I read here from others also a fair reduction in environmental impact from emissions and tyre wear.

I feel the 215 /235 depends on how many miles you do and what Fuel consumption you are used to.
My first set of 235 Bridgestone er300 fronts lasted 8500miles, I'd driven 4500 of those so maybe heavier use by the first owner. Now on Vector 4 seasons gen 3 which seem to wear better for sure.
I expect 10k miles from fronts as a minimum based on cars in the past even driven briskly so 215's are considered as C rated so better wear I read.
Positives are Better MPG, I read about 10% based on what I read here from others also a fair reduction in environmental impact from emissions and tyre wear.
My Continental 215 60 17 fronts still have over 4 mm treads and have travelled over 30,000 miles. The rear are over 6 mm. Long term consumption is over 40 mpg on the computer.
Mind you I do drive like my old granny, overtaking on roundabouts is verboten.

My van started life on 215 tyres & had done 25k before I took them off with a good 4mm+ still left
The 255s I am currently running seem to do about 12k on the front, longer on the back.
There is also a 5mpg difference in consumption.

I drive like Stirling Moss & every roundabout is seen as an overtaking opportunity.

My Continental 215 60 17 fronts still have over 4 mm treads and have travelled over 30,000 miles. The rear are over 6 mm. Long term consumption is over 40 mpg on the computer.
Mind you I do drive like my old granny, overtaking on roundabouts is verboten.
30,000 and over 4mm left !!!!
You've obviously not done any mountain driving with their twisty abrasive road surfaces. Probably hardly been around a corner. Amazing!

30,000 and over 4mm left !!!!
You've obviously not done any mountain driving with their twisty abrasive road surfaces. Probably hardly been around a corner. Amazing!
most of my miles are twisty Highland roads maybe that explains some of the wear, long term 37mpg last 6500miles, best 53mpg, slow drive home from work behind a tourist.