Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Confused by tyre sizes - advice please

Detritus

Detritus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

It’s time to change my tyres and having read the excellent posts on here I’m tempted to change the Continental contivan contact 215/60 R 17c 109/107t 104h that came factory fitted on my Cali for some Michelin cross climates. However I’m confused about size - everyone else on here with 17s seems to have 235/55 tyres and on tyre sites that gives me a much bigger choice. Can I put this on my Cali, is there any impact (positive or negative)? Would that mean I’d need to change my (unused) spare wheel too?

If I were to stick with the 215/60 then I guess this link is the ones that I need:
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/crossclimate/215/60/R17/V/100/f?tyre=33707448

If I were to go for the 235/55 then I guess this link is the ones that I need:
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/crossclimate-plus/235/55/R17/Y/103/f?tyre=35941871

Grateful for any advice as always!

I’ve now found the pillar sticker that shows my rims can have the 235/55or the 215/60. It’s only the front two tyres that need changing - am I OK to mix and have the 235/55 on the rear and the 215/60 on the front?

Would really appreciate some advice from someone, I know nothing about tyres and am trying to read all I can on here but unsure. Costco have a deal on today that would save me £50 but don’t want to do the wrong thing just to save a bit of money!

59451294-AB81-4597-88C3-36083C569F27.jpeg

I have Neva 17 inch alloy wheels on my Cali and the have fitted Michelin Crossclimate + 235/55/R17 103Y tyres all round and recommend them. Quiet and very good in the wet and on snow.

Alan

You shouldn’t mix the sizes. You shouldn’t really mix the seasons either. It’s all or nothing.

The 235s are lower profile and you’d expect a harder ride as a result, but they run at lower pressures so I think they’ll feel similar. They might make your steering heavier.

The last number is the load rating. The 215 link you posted has a rating of 100, which isn’t high enough for a Cali. Your sticker shows the load rating required.....the minimum is 101 but most are around 103.

I have the Conti’s like you which are very tough (read hard) at 107/109

Thanks both for your replies, much appreciated. I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for the Michelin cross climate 235/55/r17 103y on all 4 wheels. £560poorer but we’re going to be doing 3000+ miles in August so happier knowing we’re on good tyres, especially as we go over the grossglockner!

Thanks again,

Jez

Heard really good things about the Cross Climate tyres and good call getting on 4 done. Should last a good while!!

Good choice made with the right size! Friends got them and they are realy happy with the performance. Might be my next tyres tooEnjoy Grossglockner!

The 235s are lower profile and you’d expect a harder ride as a result, but they run at lower pressures so I think they’ll feel similar. They might make your steering heavier.
You'd think so but actually they are not as the profile (55 or 60 etc) is a percentage of the tyre width.
So the overall diameter for a 215/60/17 is 27.16", the 235/55/17 is 27.18" :thumb

Thanks both for your replies, much appreciated. I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for the Michelin cross climate 235/55/r17 103y on all 4 wheels. £560poorer but we’re going to be doing 3000+ miles in August so happier knowing we’re on good tyres, especially as we go over the grossglockner!

Thanks again,

Jez
You can give us a review of the change of tyre size/make, nothing like back to back tests to obtain a realistic opinion.

Thanks again,

Jez
The only thing I would add would be to get your wheels laser aligned while the tyres are new, if you haven't already done so. This made a world of difference to the drive and tyre wear on my last set of tyres.

Alan

Great tip, thanks Alan!
Bellcrew - I’ll definitely put up a review - 3000 miles should be enough to judge. We didn’t do grossglockner last year but we did do the Deutsche Alpenstrasse so plenty of ups and downs to compare performance.

Thanks again all for the responses, this is a great community!

The only thing I would add would be to get your wheels laser aligned while the tyres are new, if you haven't already done so. This made a world of difference to the drive and tyre wear on my last set of tyres.

Alan

Good advice … 4 wheel alignment so worthwhile!