Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1st Sept Reg issues

J

Jps111

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Long time viewer first time poster. Like so many who have ordered a new van and have been waiting a time for it to be delivered, I have experienced long periods of no updates from dealer then mid July the update was they didn’t know when the vehicle was to arrive and then be informed beginning of August at port and then within a week at dealership. So me thinking it was reasonable after cancelling sites booked in August following the we don’t know when the vehicle is coming email to wait a couple of weeks for the new registration plate on 1st Sept then it would be reasonable for the dealership to accommodate - apparently not. Being advised (by only the dealer) there is an order on the vehicle that it must be registered in August and it is impossible to register in Sept. Anyone heard of this or going through same thing?
Phoned DVLA and they are not aware of any order by DVLA currently on VW California’s and VW customer care are next to useless and they are not aware of it and say liaise with dealer. Any info would be appreciated

Could be emissions or a compliance thing, but more likely Dealer B***sh1t because they have secured a discount from VWUK for a vehicle registered before September?

Phone them up to demand they explain.

Last edited:
The dealers like to get them registered within 2 weeks of receiving them. Tell the dealer you are out the country on holiday till 1st September.

Thought emissions but would have thought that this was old news and that any items relating to that would be addressed by 2021. Tried out of country scenario but they are saying that if not registered to me then they will register to themselves

Repeatedly asked them to explain and they are saying it’s a DVLA thing on vehicles at the moment and it’s not just my vehicle apparently? So supposedly vehicles arriving now under a certain code/order have apparently GOT to be registered before end of August (that’s what dealer is saying)

i reckon thats Bull. Ask to speak to the dealer principal.

if they register to the dealer, then what discount are they going to give you as it’ll be 2nd hand?

I think they just would like you to register it as it suits them to hit a monthly target.

When did you order and what delivery date were you originally given?

Repeatedly asked them to explain and they are saying it’s a DVLA thing on vehicles at the moment and it’s not just my vehicle apparently? So supposedly vehicles arriving now under a certain code/order have apparently GOT to be registered before end of August (that’s what dealer is saying)
Yell them you’ve spoken to the DVLA and they confirmed they are not aware of any requirement.

Ask to see written proof?

Keep things calm. Go to the dealership and ask whoever is feeding you this nonsense to take you to the sales manager. Ask what their real reason is for this strange demand. It doesn’t suit you, the customer. But there may be some compromise that can be met that suits both parties. You still don’t have to agree, but it’s hard for rational humans (most people) to look each other in the eye and lie. Good luck!

All - thanks for responses and some comments are similar to my thoughts and other comments have already been done as they are all reasonable thoughts. Still apparently an order on certain vehicles currently arriving that have got to be registered by end of August???? Very frustrating

Dealers have always had a sliding scale of financial incentive to sell vehicles by certain dates from Factory delivery.
Might be simply a case of offering a 'gift' to the salesman to compensate. Unofficially.

All - thanks for responses and some comments are similar to my thoughts and other comments have already been done as they are all reasonable thoughts. Still apparently an order on certain vehicles currently arriving that have got to be registered by end of August???? Very frustrating
Could always ring VWCS and ask why the dealer is feeling you that line. Explain you've been patient over a long period about uncertain delivery dates and don't want an early registration just to satisfy dealer sales targets....

The Type Appoval specification to the seat belt warning system for vehicles changed at the end of May. Any vehicle that was in production prior to then will not be compliant if registered after the 31st August 2021. So you can't have a new "71" reg. It must be registered before the end of August. I've been told this affects vehicles build week 25 and later.
It also appears that some vehicles that were in production between the 1-31June may be falling into some sort of no man's land, and the dealers may have to get an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval certificate) if they are not registered by the 31st of August.

A bit of a mess!!

I had this same scenario back in February & asked to wait to register 1st March - not a problem at all!

SusiBus sounds informed, I am still a little sceptical though.

I had this same scenario back in February & asked to wait to register 1st March - not a problem at all!
It becomes a problem only when the vehicle becomes non compliant, as is the situation with these vehicles having to be registered before August 31st. This also happened last December when all 199ps had to be registered before 31 Dec 2020 due to emission updates, with the introduction of the new 204 engine.

I’d be interested to see what the changes mean for the 5th seat.
My understanding is that the rear seats must now as a minimum have a warning gong to alert the driver if a rear belt that was buckled is unbuckled whilst the van is moving.
For the front seats, there needs to be an occupancy sensor & gong if an occupied seat doesn’t have a seat belt done up.

SusiBus sounds informed, I am still a little sceptical though.
This info came from a well informed dealer after a lengthy chat. I asked for a copy of any VW Official paperwork, this hasn't happened!

I’d be interested to see what the changes mean for the 5th seat.
My understanding is that the rear seats must now as a minimum have a warning gong to alert the driver if a rear belt that was buckled is unbuckled whilst the van is moving.
For the front seats, there needs to be an occupancy sensor & gong if an occupied seat doesn’t have a seat belt done up.
I do know a driver alert for the rear bench seatbelts was a MY22 update. Interesting question about the 5th seat...

Frustrating that if this is an issue and a known issue then why put out early/mid July that deliveries are unknown and in turn people cancel their plans only to then say there are vehicles arriving in August and then got to be registered - thanks for waiting 8months and being patient and spending 60k+ on a vehicle and to thank you for your understanding if you don’t register it then we will have to register it themselves - just seems a bit of joke and they could have handled it better. Surprised there is not more on this on the forums

Having a new reg plate isn’t anything special these days, get the van ASAP and enjoy (whilst the summer is here).
Lots of people end up with private plates so they remember reg or disguise age of vehicle.
The camper will be worth the same when you come to sell.
I know it’s annoying but most people just want there van, I’ve been waiting 14mths for mine!

Yep you are right and really just want the van but Its just the souring of the process knowing that if the dealer turned to a buyer and taking p/x they would definitely give you less with different registration plate

Yep you are right and really just want the van but Its just the souring of the process knowing that if the dealer turned to a buyer and taking p/x they would definitely give you less with different registration plate
Maybe with cars, but a cali will still get the same price.
Well in the last 10yrs I’ve owned calis and transporters and never heard or seen that happen.
Cali have and probably will always sell easily private and there’s people on hear been asked to sell there cali back to dealer for more than what they paid for it new!
WBAC May reduce the price I guess.
Good luck and I hope you get it when you want it.

The trade in value in however many years time will be exactly the same as it would be if you had taken delivery last week, the month before or even in April.

With 2 plate changes in addition to the year change the importance of a new plate has paled into insignificance.

Just get your van and enjoy it.

The California Model Years run from 1st July to 30th June. This is more important than the Registration Plate as different model years have different standard Options or basic changes.
Unless yours had an actual build date post 1st July 2021 it will be MY 2021, no matter what the registration plate says.

The Type Appoval specification to the seat belt warning system for vehicles changed at the end of May. Any vehicle that was in production prior to then will not be compliant if registered after the 31st August 2021. So you can't have a new "71" reg. It must be registered before the end of August. I've been told this affects vehicles build week 25 and later.
It also appears that some vehicles that were in production between the 1-31June may be falling into some sort of no man's land, and the dealers may have to get an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval certificate) if they are not registered by the 31st of August.

A bit of a mess!!
I heard the same explanation from a dealer. Our 2017 Cali doesn't have a warning light or alarm if the front seat passenger doesn't put a belt on which surprised me as I thought all vehicles had to.
I was told that legislation was on the way, but I hadn't realised that it would apply to the rear seats too.

Back