Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you collect a new California the week before the new registration plates ?

Would you take delivery of a new California in the final week before new registrations are released?

• Yes - just get the '17 plate, you've waited for long enough!

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No - wait for the '67 plate as being impatient will devalue the future price

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters
Mark Garrett

Mark Garrett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've been informed that there's an outside chance my Ocean will reach British soil in August, ahead of the September 1st number plate changes.

Would you just accept the 17 plate on the 25th August and have the car to enjoy, or wait another week to have the 67 plate?

My heart says just get it, my head says there will be a financial implication for being impatient...

Thanks!

(we have a week in Cornwall in a house, departing 26th August, so would get to use it as a car straight away)

It's only a week, and you already have a holiday cottage paid for.
In my head when guessing the value of a used Cali, (in simple terms) I depreciate them about £2.5k per year, so one week would cost you £1250.

Last edited:
I would think it's skewed around reg change dates. Depends on how long you intend to keep it too, as in a 10 year old van you wouldn't worry about the plate when buying.

However, there are so many variables, you'll never know for sure what actual value you're gaining or passing up...

Just wait as you have a holiday booked and you won't enjoy Cornwall and the cottage as much with a brand new Cali parked outside

As you've already got plans that week I'd say wait. I get why you're tempted not to though. Heart vs head.

I would wait, not because of the money but it will feel all nice and new. I have a plate that means something to so made no odds for us but I would've waited. Although saying that when you eventually change, people will still see the 17 plate as a year older than the 67.

.. message ends..

Last edited:
I would take it early - see if the dealer can offer any further incentive.

It depends what you do when you are on holiday.

For us Its perfect for lunching in / changing in / lounging around watching the rain etc
If the sun comes out you've got cold drinks in the fridge.

The biggest difference to our holidays has been having the vans facilities with us when we are away from base rather than the actual camping in it.

Once its a few years old it will be condition & mileage that matter not the reg plate.

The poll says it all, wait for the new reg, it's only 7 days, why give that to the government in RFL

Thanks everyone, the results are very strong!

Unless there is any incentive to take it early, I'll hang on.

I would wait as you would have to pay a months road tax for 5 days use.
Better to start off from the begining of the next month, new plate, new tax, new Cali.
I think there are special rules where a dealer can register it and it will be taxed for a few days prior to the start of the month, so it doesn't incur a full month's VED. This helps spread their business out across the month - we had it last year, though we didn't have the new registration question...

Ready in August and ready for you in August are two different things. Ours sat at the port for 10-days waiting for delivery to the dealers...
Enjoy your holiday, make sure the dealer does a thorough job on preparing it for you.

I think there are special rules where a dealer can register it and it will be taxed for a few days prior to the start of the month, so it doesn't incur a full month's VED. This helps spread their business out across the month - we had it last year, though we didn't have the new registration question...

I know you used to be able to pay for 12months + pro rata for the current month on a new registration.
We've had 2 new cars registered since the new system came into force in April & it wasn't an option on either.

I know you used to be able to pay for 12months + pro rata for the current month on a new registration.
We've had 2 new cars registered since the new system came into force in April & it wasn't an option on either.
Another government money making scheme...
Defo wait until 1st September!

Why are we so obsessed with number plate date changes in this country. I have a car in France albeit a 1998 Golf the number plate is just that, a mark for the vehicle, no ref to the year. :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Why are we so obsessed with number plate date changes in this country. I have a car in France albeit a 1998 Golf the number plate is just that, a mark for the vehicle, no ref to the year. :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

It was something the UK motor trade has I think always been very happy with, as it boosts demand for new cars. In 1967 the industry lobbied for the change to happen in August, rather than January which had been the changeover month since the first use of 'A' plates in 1963. Presumably the dealers wanted more peace and quiet at Christmas pud time.

Then in 1999, realising that their summers hols were being disrupted by having to do lots of new car handovers, they pushed for the shift to bi-annual letter changes, to smooth out annual demand but keeping the marketing benefits of a visible 'newness' element to the registration plate.

It's perhaps not surprising that other countries see the British obsession with what letters/numbers you have on the front of your car as a bit bonkers, but I'd make a small bet that it has indeed helped to promote new car sales in the UK since the 1960s. Every society has to find various ways of signalling affluence, and I guess making sure you have a 69 plate or whatever it is now on the front of the car on your driveway is a fairly harmless affectation.

Mrs VD and I invariably buy our cars (including our Cali) at about one year old and then keep them for a least five or six years, so it doesn't really affect us bigly. Everyone in our village seems to have a couple of brand new Mercs and Rangerover Sports in front of their houses anyhow, and when they see our Cali they probably just assume I'm moonlighting in the building trade, number plate regardless. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, the results are very strong!

Unless ther
It was something the UK motor trade has I think always been very happy with, as it boosts demand for new cars. In 1967 the industry lobbied for the change to happen in August, rather than January which had been the changeover month since the first use of 'A' plates in 1963. Presumably the dealers wanted more peace and quiet at Christmas pud time.

Then in 1999, realising that their summers hols were being disrupted by having to do lots of new car handovers, they pushed for the shift to bi-annual letter changes, to smooth out annual demand but keeping the marketing benefits of a visible 'newness' element to the registration plate.

It's perhaps not surprising that other countries see the British obsession with what letters/numbers you have on the front of your car as a bit bonkers, but I'd make a small bet that it has indeed helped to promote new car sales in the UK since the 1960s. Every society has to find various ways of signalling affluence, and I guess making sure you have a 69 plate or whatever it is now on the front of the car on your driveway is a fairly harmless affectation.

Mrs VD and I invariably buy our cars (including our Cali) at about one year old and then keep them for a least five or six years, so it doesn't really affect us bigly. Everyone in our village seems to have a couple of brand new Mercs and Rangerover Sports in front of their houses anyhow, and when they see our Cali they probably just assume I'm moonlighting in the building trade, number plate regardless. :rolleyes:
A cheap personal number plate kills all the dating effect of the current registration regime if it matters to you.

Last edited:
A cheap personal number plate kills all the dating affect of the current registration regime if it matters to you.

I had to re-read that bit: "kills all the dating effect". One of the reasons I don't have personalised plates because then people would spot when my car's parked outside Good-Time Gloria's house down in the next village, and report it back to Mrs VD. And yes that would matter to me because she would definitely kill me.

:pinkbanana

A cheap personal number plate kills all the dating affect of the current registration regime if it matters to you.

Agree, I have a plate that matches our initials but looks like a normal 04 plate.

So it's XXX 4 XXX, i.e. me for her ;), I got lots of brownie points for it :rolleyes:.
Soon as I seen it I knew it was the one.

..message ends..

I had to re-read that bit: "kills all the dating effect". One of the reasons I don't have personalised plates because then people would spot when my car's parked outside Good-Time Gloria's house down in the next village, and report it back to Mrs VD. And yes that would matter to me because she would definitely kill me.

:pinkbanana

I've been informed that there's an outside chance my Ocean will reach British soil in August, ahead of the September 1st number plate changes.

Would you just accept the 17 plate on the 25th August and have the car to enjoy, or wait another week to have the 67 plate?

My heart says just get it, my head says there will be a financial implication for being impatient...

Thanks!

(we have a week in Cornwall in a house, departing 26th August, so would get to use it as a car straight away)

just take delivery as soon as you can We're going to - and why not enjoy it for your week away - it might be the last good weather we get this year.

I would wait as you would have to pay a months road tax for 5 days use.
Better to start off from the begining of the next month, new plate, new tax, new Cali.
You don't pay extra if the Dealer does his job correctly.
My last car was registered on 23rd march and had 12 months plus a week tax charge. renewal was April 1st on the following year.
Had the same part month payments on my previous HGV's when purchased new.

Some years ago (2004) I checked up on the difference in value between reg numbers and found that it would be £500 at that time so probably about £2000 now.
Buyers and Dealers will use it as a reason to pay less on sale.

Last edited:
Back