Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2.0 BiTD 2014

Ok I stand corrected the later engines can be effected.
The results from your oil tests show that if you stop the egr working and change the oil you get better results. The aluminium and silicone is still there but at lower levels and and maybe another oil change might reduce that further.
I guess the question to ask is deleting the egr valve control software legal but then is the system causing unnecessary wear on these engines.

Also the fact that there is a Facebook group is not evidence of cause and effect. Only the fact that there is a relatively small group of owners who won't accept that they gambled and lost and expect someone else to pick up the tab.
This shocking passage shows contempt for the Forum and its members. We are trying to avoid people having to "gamble," some with their life's savings. The statement that those affected and are facing huge repair bills for replacement engines are somehow gaming the system to get benefits that they are not entitled to is despicable.

Last edited:
This shocking passage shows contempt for the Forum and its members. We are trying to avoid people having to "gamble," some with their life's savings. The statement that those affected and are facing huge repair bills for replacement engines are somehow gaming the system to get benefits that they are not entitled to is despicable.
Purchasing any 2nd hand vehicle is a gamble. You have no idea how it has been driven, cared for, or what purpose it was used for in the vast number of cases. As long as a Forum member is aware of the possible problem, then it is upto them to make a considered decision.
Just saying ALL 180 BiTurbos , no matter when built, should be avoided is just as dangerous and shows utter contempt to those Forum members who own a 180 BiTurbo. But obviously you don’t consider such owners in your less than accurate comments, but that seems par for the course.

Wouldnt agree with that. I belong to a Facebook group for this issue and I'm aware of quite a few post 2011/2012 vans having the issue, including some T6s

Even my 2015, with regular annual oil changes between 5 and 8k miles was consuming its EGR cooler. Now fixed by emulating the EGR

View attachment 90877

Out of curiosity re: WG’s comments above, did you buy your vehicle 2nd hand?

Purchasing any 2nd hand vehicle is a gamble. You have no idea how it has been driven, cared for, or what purpose it was used for in the vast number of cases.
Just to lighten this thread up a little.

Improving reading comprehension will lower your outrage level and improve your quality of life, and just may help you avoid shouting "STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!" at passers-by.
Just saying ALL 180 BiTurbos , no matter when built, should be avoided is just as dangerous

Again, reading comprehension, sheesh.

“ .. neither VW (at least publicly!) nor anyone else has been able to determine which ones under what circumstances will be affected.”

As I’ve said before, Insults show the paucity of your argumentative comments.

OMG, Yes, please, please apply this criteria to your posts! You’d have to remove 20,500 of them! Searching WelshGas insults on the forum software could crash the system!

You have to ask yourself a several questions:

A) would I buy or advise others to buy a vehicle that has the potential to need a shed load of work (new engine) via a known potential issue !
A1) does the sale price reflect the potential risk of future replacement of the engine and make due allowance in the asking price ?

B) would I rather totally avoid a future potential known risk albeit unquantifiable & the potential cost of the issue ( £8k) in favour of a lesser risk vehicle ?

C) roll the dice and hope for the best (fingers crossed )

NB: not all 180 bi turbo engines suffer from the potential issue !

The choice is yours, which should be reflected in your price assessment of any potential investment!

also consider your length of ownership, future price assessment for potential market based on options A-C (resale value / hassle)

Eyes should be wide open given the price of these vehicles and the cost to repair

OMG, Yes, please, please apply this criteria to your posts! You’d have to remove 20,500 of them! Searching WelshGas insults on the forum software could crash the system!
I see the Forum Troll is still at it. I suppose it means others are saved from his inaccurate verging on false comments.

Water of a ducks back as far as I am concerned, but if it gives him some satisfaction sitting in his solar powered, subsidised apartment on his own, then it’s a cross I am happy to carry to avoid others being trolled with inaccurate information.

Better poor spelling than false, inaccurate information from someone with supposedly such high standards.

Water of a ducks back as far as I am concerned, but if it gives him some satisfaction sitting in his solar powered, subsidised apartment on his own, then it’s a cross I am happy to carry to avoid others being trolled with inaccurate information.

I can’t find an emoji for a violin that tiny. Anyone?

75654F5F-E902-4D15-8FA0-99758750517C.jpeg

The water is solar heated too.

Last edited:
I’ve recently sold my 2015 180 California after owning it for nearly five years I never had any trouble. I always used quality diesel and only used for days out, holidays and biking Events.
I’ve had two 180’s over the last 10 years and both have been impeccable.
Just put the money aside for replacement if needed a lot cheaper than buying a T6.1

Plus no Adblue, and the T5.1 seems to be the best finished of all the T5/6s (see posts re: difference between T5.1 and T6: a tailgate straightened by backing a T5 into a wall, a garish mouth below the front bumper, and a big hole where the glove box used to be). I know, I know, but I just feel WG needs a little company in his lonely outrage.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for the thousands of posts from owners of post 2012 180 BiTurbos suffering from high oil consumption. Must admit it's a bit boring waiting for them.
Oh well, must get on with life, can't waste time twiddling my toes in a bath, as some do, even if the water is heated by discounted solar power.

Agree. 8k for a replacement engine is not bad or you can buy a T6.1 and spend another 30k
That really doesn’t make any economic sense. You buy a T5.1 for say £40k then spend another £8k on it and it’s still worth £40K. Buy a T6.1 for say £70k spend nothing on it and it’s still worth £70k.
Like someone said in a previous post , buy a 140 and get a remap. Certainly a lot cheaper than £8k.

That really doesn’t make any economic sense. You buy a T5.1 for say £40k then spend another £8k on it and it’s still worth £40K. Buy a T6.1 for say £70k spend nothing on it and it’s still worth £70k.
Like someone said in a previous post , buy a 140 and get a remap. Certainly a lot cheaper than £8k.
Remap is good, but not as good.
Life is a gamble, so buy a T5.1 with due diligence and use. Its odds on that you'll never have a problem.

Life is a gamble, so buy a T5.1 with due diligence and use. Its odds on that you'll never have a problem.
The torque curve, BHP and fuel consumption on a remapped 140 would be very similar to the standard 180. So with all that has been said about the possible problems why put yourself through that. And the 140 would likely cost you less than the 180.

You could also get the 180 remapped and get better MPG.

The torque curve, BHP and fuel consumption on a remapped 140 would be very similar to the standard 180. So with all that has been said about the possible problems why put yourself through that. And the 140 would likely cost you less than the 180.
Possibly, but only 1 turbo. Kickdown takes the Range Rovers and Cayennes on a local hill. Got to be worth something. :thumb

Depreciation curves....

Plus you need to take the benefit of the asset. In this case a new engine, new turbos. etc. If my engine went bang I'm certainly not going to be running out to buy a T6.1 to save paying 8k.

I drove the 140 for 6500miles / 6months. Not for me and that was back in 2015. Now, I certainly would not even consider that engine for that weight of vehicle.

Back