Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2.5L Tdi, Coolant pump, time bomb (and ticking)

Andresz

Andresz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hello

I recently followed an advice of my colleague to replace coolant pump in my 2007/ 86000km California 2.5l TDi engine.
The colleague has his 2006 Multivan engine completly destroyed during his vacation trip to Turkey. Not a pleasant vacation afterall.
Apparently (he learned about it afterwards) up to 2006 the coolant pump is very volnurable. VW recommends replacing it after 80000 km at the latest. His Multivan was 106000 when broke.
The fault is immediate, the engine gets broke before you manage to stop it. Damage is catastrofic with valves and pistons broken.

Following his advice and bad experience I replaced the pump in my California. You can see it on the image attached. There is the leak already commencing, causing the trace of rust visible.

The new pumps are reinforced. At least the propeller is metallic. But there are other modifications done, I heard.

Take it under consideration if you own a pre-2007 2.5l van.

Regards
Andrzej

P.S. I do not know why I cannot post it in "Servicing and Recalls" topic ?.

image.php

sebking said:
Lots of info over on the t4 t5 forum about this.

Well, I quess it is, nevertheless I was not aware, so presumably some other people either.
And this engine is particularly misleading, since there is no timing chain or belt to be replaced regularly.

Had my timing belt, water pump and pump belt done at VW Manchester last week. Fixed price £508. I'd shopped around and could get it a little cheaper elsewhere, but no by enough to make me stray. Always nice to have the official VW stamp in the service book for such an important job.

It is a bugger that although it was 6 years since the last change, it was only 30k miles. VW's guidance varies, but 80k and 3 years is typical recommendation. I asked for the old belts back to study them. There was no signs of wear or degradation, but I know its more complex than just visible wear. I followed some threads saying that belts degenerate 'on the shelf', so it's a complex area!

I'm just accepting my belt costs me £100 / year. At least you get new water / antifreeze included.

Did you change the coolant pump yourself?
if so have you any details or pictures please?
I am coming up to 100k miles (160k kilometres) in my Cali, am worried

johntowers46 said:
Did you change the coolant pump yourself?
if so have you any details or pictures please?
I am coming up to 100k miles (160k kilometres) in my Cali, am worried

Hello John
A workshop in Poland did it for me. The pump was about 100 Euros and work about 50 Euros if I remember well. It was about 3 hours job.
In your 160k kms Cali, I would say there is a good reason to be worried about (if it was really not replaced yet). You see that on my 80k the gasket started leaking.

If you happens to be in Cracow, I can give you the workshop address :cool: , otherwise do it asap in any trustfully garage,

Regards
Andrzej

Back