Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 rail fitted carpet on 3 rail floor

Cwtch_twt

Cwtch_twt

vwcalwales
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone purchased a 2 rail living space fitted carpet for a 3 rail California? We would like to cover the middle rail and are wondering if the bench seat will still roll forward. Been looking at the one on the QTM website.

Don't know but you could always try it with a thin rug/mat just covering the middle rail to see. :thumb

Yes I have on my 2 seater bench Beach (so same setup as the SE/Ocean). To get a bit of extra clearance I removed a small roller fitted underneath the seat drawer. Also bent back the lugs that the roller axel bolted through.

You don't need to remove anything, both QTM and Brandrup two rail carpets fit over the middle rail without fouling. The photo below is my mates van which is on the for sale section now, its a three rail van with the two rail carpet.

But you'll get a visible ridge where the carpet has to rise and fall over the 2nd rail.

I've just fitted a 3 rail carpet and it looks great. Like the photo above, I have a rubber mat also in this area.

When we are parked up with the awing out, the rubber mat gets moved to be under the awning so that and dirt on shoes stays outside.

A visible ridge, its hardly noticeable under foot or visible. At least it covers the ugly track up and gives the impression of a full fitted carpet. the OP asked if one would fit and they do, personally I don't want to see the mid rail and don't think it looks great but we are all different. Also we have had this set up in two vans now with no issues QTM in the first van when I think the quality was better and Brandrup in the second. Went for QTM for the second but returned them due to quality issues, but in fairness they had changed suppliers and I was not happy so bit the bullet and paid the extra for Brandrup and will again if I get another van.

I'm under the impression you cant order a non 4 Motion with out the centre rail so your stuck with it so a decision has to be made, Remember the extra jump seat cant be fitted with the two rail carpet so would have to be moved or removed while the extra seat is in situ. At least it does give resale options, ie you get the third rail, cover it if you don't need the extra seat then if a future owner needs a seat its there and they either move or remove while the seat is employed, or sell the carpet and purchase a new set for future use.

A visible ridge, its hardly noticeable under foot or visible. At least it covers the ugly track up and gives the impression of a full fitted carpet. the OP asked if one would fit and they do, personally I don't want to see the mid rail and don't think it looks great but we are all different. Also we have had this set up in two vans now with no issues QTM in the first van when I think the quality was better and Brandrup in the second. Went for QTM for the second but returned them due to quality issues, but in fairness they had changed suppliers and I was not happy so bit the bullet and paid the extra for Brandrup and will again if I get another van.

I'm under the impression you cant order a non 4 Motion with out the centre rail so your stuck with it so a decision has to be made, Remember the extra jump seat cant be fitted with the two rail carpet so would have to be moved or removed while the extra seat is in situ. At least it does give resale options, ie you get the third rail, cover it if you don't need the extra seat then if a future owner needs a seat its there and they either move or remove while the seat is employed, or sell the carpet and purchase a new set for future use.
What quality of QTM mat do you have? Standard or deluxe?

What quality of QTM carpet did you have? Standard or Deluxe?

What quality of QTM carpet did you have? Standard or Deluxe?

To be honest I cant remember but it was slightly thicker than the Brandrup one. If you can stretch to it, buy the Brandrup I would again. It fits perfect first time instead of where it touches and comes with a plastic Velcro strip that fits under the step trim. You lift the step trim up slightly and feed the said strip under just under half of its width and push the carpet down it fits nicely with no tripping hazard.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Back