Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two rail or three rail carpet

N

NatandRob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi. I want to buy the Brandrup carpet, it offers it with a two rail gap and a three rail gap. As we only use the bench and don’t have a requirement for the additional seat, am I correct in thinking the bench slides forward on two rails?

Hi there, that’s a great question and having recently purchased our first Cali and thinking about a carpet I would be interested in what the answer is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T6 Ocean has 3 rails. If you use a 2 rail carpet then the carpet will impede the bench and bench drawer. Because the carpet will stick up proud on the central rail.

You need to order the 3 rail carpet.

Alan Andrews ... Incorrect it will not impede the bench drawer. The carpet fits snug under it all ... Mine fit's lovely

Alan Andrews ... Incorrect it will not impede the bench drawer. The carpet fits snug under it all ... Mine fit's lovely
Well all I can say is that I went for a 2 rail carpet, and it jammed the bench and drawer. Now have a 3 rail carpet fitted and it works perfectly.
The 2 rail carpet also caused a hump when fitted that we did not like anyway.

The trick is to take breakdown tool box off in rear boot and pull it from back until it is nice and flat and smooth ... But if it works for you all well mate.

This is the answer I was hoping for. We have three rails and as it doesn’t actually do anything it would be nice to cover it!

T6 Ocean has 3 rails. If you use a 2 rail carpet then the carpet will impede the bench and bench drawer. Because the carpet will stick up proud on the central rail.

You need to order the 3 rail carpet.
This is what I was worried about, but really want to hide the third rail if possible and it doesn’t make life difficult with the drawer and bench bed

.NatandRob ... Yes as you stated in your first post you do not require third rail ... So the 2 rail carpet will be ok ... As l said take breakdown box off from boot and pull it back gently but firmly ... Good luck with it.

We also have 3 rails but a 2 rail brandrup carpet and have no issues at all ,as first Cali was a 2 rail but current Cali has 3
Dave and lisa

Have had three Calis now all three rails but have always had two rail carpets. There is a slight hump but you get used to it.
Personally I would rather have that than the slit in the carpet. As said remove the black tool kit, fit the carpet then refit the kit. The kit has two knurled thumb screws, sit the box back on the two horizontal pegs/rods pivot up and refit the screws keeping an upward pressure on final tighten the box then glides over the carpet.

Hi there, same issue here, bought a 2 rail brandrup and it wont fit. There is a roller under the middle rail. Maybe they have changed the design?

Hi there, same issue here, bought a 2 rail brandrup and it wont fit. There is a roller under the middle rail. Maybe they have changed the design?
Take the rear rack out so you can get in the back easier, remove the tool box, push the carpet under the seat/bed make sure it goes in straight meaning inline with the runners. Its a snug fit but will go, finish fitting the carpet including the Velcro strip under the step trim, refit the tool box loosely then apply upward pressure on the box as you tighten the thumb screws fully up. As said I have had three vans now with the triple rails and have always fitted two rail carpets. The first was a QTM the other two including our current one is Brandrup.
Our current Cali is a MY19.

Take the rear rack out so you can get in the back easier, remove the tool box, push the carpet under the seat/bed make sure it goes in straight meaning inline with the runners. Its a snug fit but will go, finish fitting the carpet including the Velcro strip under the step trim, refit the tool box loosely then apply upward pressure on the box as you tighten the thumb screws fully up. As said I have had three vans now with the triple rails and have always fitted two rail carpets. The first was a QTM the other two including our current one is Brandrup.
Our current Cali is a MY19.
Thanks Sandyvan, you were correct offcourse
I stuck with it and got it fitted. There is a runner wheel attached to the drawer that was causing the problems. I pulled the drawer out and managed to lift it slightly while pushing the carpet under. Photo attached for future reference

Cheers

20191023_175413.jpg

Thanks Sandyvan, you were correct offcourse
I stuck with it and got it fitted. There is a runner wheel attached to the drawer that was causing the problems. I pulled the drawer out and managed to lift it slightly while pushing the carpet under. Photo attached for future reference

Cheers

View attachment 51767
In my haste to reply I forgot to say, sometimes it helps to pull the drawer out a tad it seems to take the pressure off the runner for the initial fit, I'm glad you managed.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone ever tried a two-rail rubber mat on a three-rail van?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone ever tried a two-rail rubber mat on a three-rail van?
I fitted DIY 2 rail carpet to my 3 rail van and it covered the middle rail with no problems but it was pretty thin carpet.
It will depend on the thickness of your rubber mat.If a problem you could always cut the mat an extra slot for the middle rail.

We use the "Foldable Velours Carpet" from the VW Camper shop in Holland.
Works beautifully covering the three metal tracks and folds up neatly on the very rare occasions when we sleep in the lower bed.

All this has been helpful - wondering if people have a definite preference with the Brandrup vs QTMDirect, vs VW California shop, vs campervantastic mats made in Germany? Different thicknesses - such a myriad of options for the ocean! When you get any - do you have to fit with velcro - and how much is needed - or do they supply it for fitting with them? Also, which step mats are best?

All this has been helpful - wondering if people have a definite preference with the Brandrup vs QTMDirect, vs VW California shop, vs campervantastic mats made in Germany? Different thicknesses - such a myriad of options for the ocean! When you get any - do you have to fit with velcro - and how much is needed - or do they supply it for fitting with them? Also, which step mats are best?
I did this comparison between the brandrup and qtm, so not the full list you hoped to compare, but will get you started:

I did this comparison between the brandrup and qtm, so not the full list you hoped to compare, but will get you started:
Thanks for that! Do you have to secure them with velcro: step mats or internal mats? Or do they stick in place well with backings?

My Qtm carpets were the same they had poor quality edging that finally came apart i have binned them. I am now on lockdown and not using the van so taking the opportunity to save up for the Brandrup carpets hopefully by the time i come to use it again i would have saved enough.

My Qtm carpets were the same they had poor quality edging that finally came apart i have binned them. I am now on lockdown and not using the van so taking the opportunity to save up for the Brandrup carpets hopefully by the time i come to use it again i would have saved enough.
Ah good to know. Wondered what the ones were like in the vw cali chop linked to this forum or the campervantastic ones. They even have a mat for on top of the hump between the main front seats.

Thanks for that! Do you have to secure them with velcro: step mats or internal mats? Or do they stick in place well with backings?
The only area that benefits from Velcro is the left hand end of the thinnest strip....so as you open the sliding door, on your left, nearest the sliding door rollers. Not essential even then.

Ah good to know. Wondered what the ones were like in the vw cali chop linked to this forum or the campervantastic ones. They even have a mat for on top of the hump between the main front seats.
The club shop ones are good value and better than QTM in my opinion Qtm used to supply the club shop until they moved to a new manufacturer then the quality suffered hence the club shop changing their supplier

Back