Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 weeks South of France

Woz959

Woz959

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
We are heading down to the south of France, but only have two weeks. I expect it will take two days to get down there. Any recommendations on nice places to stop on the route down and also good campsites or places to visit once down there. We are not into, looking at how the super rich live so likely to be avoiding the Blingy areas. We are a climbing/walking/mountain biking people so not even sure if South France is the right place but we are desperate for some reliable warm weather after this lousy summer
b69ddf77d6d5b3c522c7b9f0fe681b7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We enjoyed some time here a few weeks back

St-Jean De-Luz on the Atlantic coast which is a nice town with lots to do, and access to hills etc for cycling plus swimming etc. Also very near the Spanish border so you can drive to San Sebastián which is a lovely city and a reasonably priced place to have a nice meal and a coffee.

From what you say I would skip the South....... get on down to the Spanish border as @Nolan has suggested. It will be plenty warm and there is lots of walking/cycling/mountain stuff to do. The South of France will be steaming with crowds! Either way, enjoy!

Edit: I meant to say you can crisscross the Pyrenees with ease, awesome views and plenty of 'wild'

Last edited:
I third the previous 2 responses. South of France in the summer is to be avoided. Too hot, dry and the crowds are something else. Head to the Pyrenees. Pau would be a nice centralised location as a base for day trips to Lourdes, Tarbes, the Atlantic Coast and on into the North of Spain. Lots of opportunities on the doorstep to enjoy those activities you listed.

There's the South of France and then there's the South of France. For a large part it depends on what you want to do and what you like and don't like.

You could for example consider Tarn-et-Garonne region as your destination. You will have good waether for sure, but not the (numbers of) tourists that you will encounter on the Mediteranean coast or the southern part of the West-coast.

When you are based in Tarn-et-Garonne you have the beautiful rivers Tarn, Garonne and Aveyron closeby. For swimming and other watersports/activities. There's a gazillion of lovely, typical French villages. Montauban and Villefranche-de-Rouergue are great places to visit. Toulouse is closeby if you are in desperate need for a big city. The Food, like almost everywhere in France, is great. You're surrounded by nature, so hiking and mountainbiking, etc will not be a problem at all. The only thing you will not have... is the sea. Which in my experience means less annoying tourists and being able to forget that you yourself are indeed a tourist as well ;-)

Alternatively you could consider Cevennes. Also a lovely and more quiet destination.

But please keep this between us. Don't tell anyone. Before you know it it's full of Brits and I got no more quiet place to relax. ;-) j/k

We are heading down to the south of France, but only have two weeks. I expect it will take two days to get down there. Any recommendations on nice places to stop on the route down and also good campsites or places to visit once down there. We are not into, looking at how the super rich live so likely to be avoiding the Blingy areas. We are a climbing/walking/mountain biking people so not even sure if South France is the right place but we are desperate for some reliable warm weather after this lousy summer
b69ddf77d6d5b3c522c7b9f0fe681b7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’re heading of to France today 23rd, stopping at Châtel 1st todo mtb trails then on to grimaud bit of beach,walking & mtb then up to annacy lovely big lake. We’ve got 2weeks as well hope this give you some ideas

We’re heading of to France today 23rd, stopping at Châtel 1st todo mtb trails then on to grimaud bit of beach,walking & mtb then up to annacy lovely big lake. We’ve got 2weeks as well hope this give you some ideas
I remember fondly Chamonix, Evian, Annecy (fabulous lake) and the area around the Swiss border.

I confess I was there in winter skiing and working so only saw Spring, not summer, and image it is very busy, but stunning and I have such fond memories.

For a night stop-over, try Langres:
Langres is a old walled town and the the campsite itself is within the town's walls. Facilities are basic, but fine for a night stop-over. Within 5mins walking distance you have the town itself. Staff we encountered were friendly and speak perfectly English. A perfect stop-over spot.

For a night stop-over, try Langres:
Langres is a old walled town and the the campsite itself is within the town's walls. Facilities are basic, but fine for a night stop-over. Within 5mins walking distance you have the town itself. Staff we encountered were friendly and speak perfectly English. A perfect stop-over spot.
Looks nice but confusing website :eek:

I remember fondly Chamonix, Evian, Annecy (fabulous lake) and the area around the Swiss border.

I confess I was there in winter skiing and working so only saw Spring, not summer, and image it is very busy, but stunning and I have such fond memories.
+1 for lake Annecy!

We have just spent a week at the Camping Municipal in Duingt on the western shore of the lake. Low key campsite with new clean toilet and shower block, great bar, and 10 mins by bike to the beach. We kayaked, cycled, sailed, paraglided, canyoned and hiked, without moving the van all week. Glorious scenery, plenty to do, good climate, not crazy busy..

+1 for lake Annecy!

We have just spent a week at the Camping Municipal in Duingt on the western shore of the lake. Low key campsite with new clean toilet and shower block, great bar, and 10 mins by bike to the beach. We kayaked, cycled, sailed, paraglided, canyoned and hiked, without moving the van all week. Glorious scenery, plenty to do, good climate, not crazy busy..
+2 for lake Annecy... a mesmerisingly beutiful area

We had a great time around Lake Annecey a few years back but it's a dearer place to be than the Pyrenees or adjacent when it comes to buying a mean of coffee, it depends how much you do those things I guess.

That's one of the reasons I'll be keen to visit San Sebastián again, beautiful surroundings and everything is cheaper.

Annecy is busy - some suggest it's the Vienna of the Alps, I think it has a feel of a city-sized Ambleside to me. We enjoyed it on the whole, but it was the only place in 2 weeks in France (late May/early June) where we had people trying to get us to sign up to "charity" every time we sat down (do you think I was born yesterday?), it was very busy (like having the squirm past people frequently) and it wasn't nearly as charming as I hoped it would be (I think less the place and more the number of people). The lake is beautiful and there are nice walks/cycling around the lake and the surrounding mountains, but Annecy itself is busy. The municipal site is busy - we struggled to get on, pitches are cramped - depends what you want I suppose, it worked for us for a few nights but we didn't want to stay any longer.

Pyrenees are lovely - I've not been in the Cali yet, but I've cycle toured and it's much quieter than the Alps. Watch out your route doesn't clash days with any big cycle events though as they can tie up the mountain passes for hours (I got embroiled in one when I was there, fortunately being on two wheels myself nobody seemed to mind me being there, even though I wasn't part of the race! No it wasn't TdF).

Annecy is busy - some suggest it's the Vienna of the Alps, I think it has a feel of a city-sized Ambleside to me. We enjoyed it on the whole, but it was the only place in 2 weeks in France (late May/early June) where we had people trying to get us to sign up to "charity" every time we sat down (do you think I was born yesterday?), it was very busy (like having the squirm past people frequently) and it wasn't nearly as charming as I hoped it would be (I think less the place and more the number of people). The lake is beautiful and there are nice walks/cycling around the lake and the surrounding mountains, but Annecy itself is busy. The municipal site is busy - we struggled to get on, pitches are cramped - depends what you want I suppose, it worked for us for a few nights but we didn't want to stay any longer.

Pyrenees are lovely - I've not been in the Cali yet, but I've cycle toured and it's much quieter than the Alps. Watch out your route doesn't clash days with any big cycle events though as they can tie up the mountain passes for hours (I got embroiled in one when I was there, fortunately being on two wheels myself nobody seemed to mind me being there, even though I wasn't part of the race! No it wasn't TdF).
I really want to visit the Pyrenees, only heard great things.

You don't have to go all the way to the far south to get decent weather (though we did get as far as Marseille at Easter this year, when the weather was pleasant but not too hot). The last few summers we have been to the Gironde (Atlantic Coast near Bordeaux - broke the journey at Paris on the way and Rouen on the way back), the French Alps (broke the journey at Reims and Beaune on the way, and Paris on the way back), and the Dordogne/Cantal/Puy de Dome (broke the journey at Puy de Fou on the way and at Vichy and Orléans on the way back). Every time we have had beautiful weather and almost no rain. And in most of these places (with the exception of Paris) there were no crowds. Stayed at Huttopia sites, which are great for outdoor activities.

You don't have to go all the way to the far south to get decent weather (though we did get as far as Marseille at Easter this year, when the weather was pleasant but not too hot). The last few summers we have been to the Gironde (Atlantic Coast near Bordeaux - broke the journey at Paris on the way and Rouen on the way back), the French Alps (broke the journey at Reims and Beaune on the way, and Paris on the way back), and the Dordogne/Cantal/Puy de Dome (broke the journey at Puy de Fou on the way and at Vichy and Orléans on the way back). Every time we have had beautiful weather and almost no rain. And in most of these places (with the exception of Paris) there were no crowds. Stayed at Huttopia sites, which are great for outdoor activities.
Puy de Fou was a great experience. But the queues were something else, even mid season in May.

We had a house in Cauterets in the Pyrenees for many years. Fabulous spot but carry on through the village to Pont d'Espagne with huge waterfalls. Big car park for the ski area where you can park overnight. If you fancy a walk its a good day trip up to the Spanish border under Vignemale the highest of the French Pyrenees with lunch in the refuge. The whole area is a walkers paradise on excellent paths. Thirty mins to Lourdes and Pau is a nice place to visit.

Puy de Fou was a great experience. But the queues were something else, even mid season in May.
Sorry to hear that @Corradobrit. Sounds like we were lucky - we found the queue situation fine and the system much better than theme parks in the UK.

For anyone thinking of going, once you are in you do need to get to each 'show' about 30 minutes before it starts - but if you get in the queue zone you will almost certainly get in.

Sorry to hear that @Corradobrit. Sounds like we were lucky - we found the queue situation fine and the system much better than theme parks in the UK.

For anyone thinking of going, once you are in you do need to get to each 'show' about 30 minutes before it starts - but if you get in the queue zone you will almost certainly get in.
For me the Merovingian exhibit, the jousting and the new Le Mime et L'etoile, showcasing the early days of the silver screen were exceptionally well done. It really covers all the important era's of French history in an intelligent way that appeals to both adults and children. It's a shame the UK haven't had the foresight to do something similar. Not like we lack for content.

We are heading through France, on our way to northern-Spain shortly. Unfortunately my knowledge of the place and it’s geography is nonexistent, so following with interest.

Lake Annecy seems to get a lot of attention, we drove past it once crawling in traffic jams down most of the lake and vowed never to return. We had just enjoyed 2 weeks in lovely quiet spots in Switzerland, Italy and France, some great wild spots in our Hilux and some nice small campsites, so maybe that didn’t help

St-Jean De-Luz on the Atlantic coast which is a nice town with lots to do, and access to hills etc for cycling plus swimming etc. Also very near the Spanish border so you can drive to San Sebastián which is a lovely city and a reasonably priced place to have a nice meal and a coffee.

Hi Nolan,

We are thinking more of the Nice, St Topez coast. we did the Atlantic Coast two years ago and absolutely loved it. Had an amazing night in San Sebastian also loved Hoseigor and Lacanau. Will no doubt be returning Saint Jean thanks

We had a house in Cauterets in the Pyrenees for many years. Fabulous spot but carry on through the village to Pont d'Espagne with huge waterfalls. Big car park for the ski area where you can park overnight. If you fancy a walk its a good day trip up to the Spanish border under Vignemale the highest of the French Pyrenees with lunch in the refuge. The whole area is a walkers paradise on excellent paths. Thirty mins to Lourdes and Pau is a nice place to visit.
That sounds great, I remember being near Cauterets a few years ago and I'd love to go back and take bikes this time. This thread is going to be a good one to bookmark for ideas :)